Iraqi Prisoner Abuse? - Page 12 of 15

If US. Army capt Rogelio doe's not - Page 12 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 19th Apr, 2005 - 4:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 15 pgs.  8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 
Iraq Prison Torture
29th Mar, 2005 - 11:45am / Post ID: #

Iraqi Prisoner Abuse? - Page 12

When I saw this commentary today, I realized that it really needed to be brought up here. Is this a case of abuse, or is it mercy? Should this man be sent to prison?

https://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=1623

Personally, I think what he did was honorable and right. But, of course, in the current climate, he is dead meat.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

29th Mar, 2005 - 12:25pm / Post ID: #

Abuse Prisoner Iraqi

I could not describe what he did as "honorable" although I am sure he did not mean to kill him for the sake of killing him but I believe he may have try as he said "put him out of his misery" but he killed him...and that's murder and as the prosecutor said there is not such a thing as "mercy" killing for the military, therefore, he should be sent to prison in my opinion but I do not think he should be sent for 20 years, I do not think he meant to kill the guy. But again, if a loved one of his was in the same situation, I doubt very much that he would have chosen to shot him/her twice and "end their misery". Just my two cents.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

29th Mar, 2005 - 1:19pm / Post ID: #

Iraqi Prisoner Abuse? History & Civil Business Politics

I am positive that he "meant to kill" the man. If I was shot in the stomach, or suffered some other extremely painful injury, and there was no possibility of receiving medical help, I would hope someone would put me out of my misery.

This used to be a rather common practice. In my opinion, it is far more inhumane to allow someone to die slowly from an extremely painful, traumatic injury than it is to end their life.

We do it with horses and other animals, but we aren't allowed to do it to humans, right?

You are right, the is no room for "mercy killing" in the UCMJ. But it seems to me there is less room for the barbarism that is the alternative.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

29th Mar, 2005 - 2:18pm / Post ID: #

Page 12 Abuse Prisoner Iraqi

I am positive that he "meant to kill" the man

What I meant was that I do not think he used this chance to get rid of the guy and got an excuse to murder him, that's what I meant. I really think he wanted to put him to rest to avoid him all the pain but it is murder, although as I stated before, I do not think he should be condemn to 20 years in prison.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

29th Mar, 2005 - 7:06pm / Post ID: #

Abuse Prisoner Iraqi

This guy is a Captain in the US Army. He knows the rules of combat and he knows the consequences of what he did. He also knew what would happen by telling others what really happened, but that is not the issue in this discussion. I assume the issue is whether his actions were morally based (mercy) or savagely based (abuse). I can only infer based on the events described in the article that it was morally based. However, no one knows the true intentions of the man himself. Only he and God will know this.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

2nd Apr, 2005 - 1:49pm / Post ID: #

Iraqi Prisoner Abuse?

Here is the result of the court-martial for U.S. Army Capt. Rogelio.
https://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=43605

He was found guilty of assault with intent to commit voluntary manslaughter. He faced a 10-year prison sentence, but the punishment did not actually include any prison time. He was seperated from the Army. There is no indication in the article of what type of dismissal he received.

I still think he did the honorable thing, and that he shouldn't have been punished. But then, that is just my opinion.

13th Apr, 2005 - 1:50pm / Post ID: #

Iraqi Prisoner Abuse - Page 12

I actually saw a very interesting documentary on Lyndie England and her account of the Abu Grahib controversy.
While it is sometimes difficult to draw conclusions from such accounts it really struck me that the whole matter was a case of naive soldiers being manipulated by intelligence agencies.
With all due respect she didn't come across as someone who was malicious or cunning enough to disobey higher command.
England still believes she has done nothing wrong and that she was being encouraged by intelligence officers to demoralise prisoners with sickening abuse.
Regardless of the reason, the fact Rumsfeld hid this matter without investigation for at least four months until it was aired in the media is enough reason for him to be sacked.
Unfortunately US mistreatment in foreign prisons doesn't appear confined to Iraq.
An Australian citizen who was illegally held by the US for three years at Camp X-Ray has now been returned without charge.
He encountered US imposed extraordinary rendition.
It's a process whereby US officials take someone to a foreign country renowned in torturous methods for interrogation purposes.
Mr Habib was taken to Egypt and some of the torture that occurred to him under the watchful eye of US officials was nothing short of a disgrace.
Such a practice should be vigorously condemned by the public as shameful disregard for basic human rights.
Mammdouh Habib was taken by the US after being wrongfully apprehended and released by Pakistani officials while visiting Pakistan.
It's sad when any country breaches human rights, and the US is noway near the worst, but we do expect the world's "great" democracy to take a leading role on such matters.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Post Date: 19th Apr, 2005 - 4:36pm / Post ID: #

Iraqi Prisoner Abuse?
A Friend

Iraqi Prisoner Abuse Politics Business Civil & History - Page 12

If US. Army capt Rogelio doe's not have to do serve any prison time for what he did, we can only conclude that he beat the murder rap. Compassion my foot....murder is murder.

+  « First of 15 pgs.  8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 
Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Iraqi Prisoner Abuse?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,