What Is Intelligence? - Page 3 of 4

I am sorry to post twice in a row, but I went - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Aug, 2006 - 1:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 23rd Jun, 2004 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?
A Friend

What Is Intelligence? - Page 3

Thanks, Nighthawk, for the post. Now I can continue. (Btw, I can never edit my posts. Why is that?)

I was able to get more than I thought I could in the first half so the second half will be short. Continuing from 2 Nephi 2:

15 And to bring about his eternal purposes in the end of man, after he had created our first parents, and the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and in fine, all things which are created, it must needs be that there was an opposition; even the forbidden fruit in opposition to the tree of life; the one being sweet and the other bitter.  (Again, it its un-opposed or compound state, the original substance had no purposes, therefore, to give it purpose and to bring about His eternal purposes, it was necessary that the original substance no longer remain as one body, but as two opposing bodies and thus serve a useful purpose.)

16 Wherefore, the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself. Wherefore, man could not act for himself save it should be that he was enticed by the one or the other.  (This verse contains deeper doctrine than I care to go into right now.  But the verse shows, at least, that an opposition IN ALL THINGS is absolutely necessary for action.)

Anyway, that is what I wrote. I might also add that in verse 15, although Lehi speaks of the two opposite trees, he is applying the principle to "all things which are created." As usual with all the principles of the gospel, this subject can be taken even deeper, or expounded upon even further.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 24th Jun, 2004 - 11:21pm / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?
A Friend

Intelligence What

My theories on intelligence are based in the D&C 93:36: "The glory of God is intelligence, or in other words, light and truth." Glory aside, I think this scripture means that Intelligence is light and truth together.

That calls for some thought on what light and truth together are and what they mean. I think that light and truth put together is basically light illuminating truth. Thus it is light interacting with truth or illuminating truth that is intelligence. It is also referenced in D&C 93:29 as the "light of truth".

So intelligence is light and truth or rather the light of truth. Shining truth is a funny concept unless further scripture is used to clarify. The idea of light illuminating truth can be further understood with D&C 88:6-7 that Christ might be "in and through all things, the light of truth; which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ." So we have truth that shines so we can see which way we are supposed to go, it shines because Christ has been through all of it, he comprehends it all, thus he can light truth so we can see. This is the light of Christ which is given to all men.

The light of Christ then is the gift to discern truth, as we utilize this gift with our obedience, we gain more and more ability to discern, we gain more and more light. The Lord tells us about this process in D&C 50:24: "he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day."

This, I belive is intelligence. Intelligence in its most basic form is indestructible, see D&C 93:29. Truth cannot be destroyed, it is from everlasting to everlasting, as is light. Thus, I assume that 'in the beginning' there was light and truth; and there was God. As this light interacted with truth, it created the entity in question: intelligences (the physics behind a lot of these theories is very interesting!). These intelligences were given opportunities to act upon truth and gain more of God's light. Once these intelligences have progressed to a certain point in their obedience, God organizes them into different things.

I have a lot more that goes into great depth, but I've never actually presented it to a group so I wouldn't know how to go about doing that. As you can probably see, I'm not exceedingly gifted in explanations or clarity, but I try.

25th Jun, 2004 - 3:49am / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence? Studies Doctrine Mormon

That was very clear, Nicolla. Thank you for posting your thoughts on this topic, I've enjoyed reading them!

Buggeyes, also: these are very thought-provoking posts, and I appreciate your time and effort to bring them to us.

Roz

Post Date: 25th Jun, 2004 - 8:28am / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?
A Friend

Page 3 Intelligence What

Hmmm...light and truth-two things...wisdom and knowledge-two things...spirit (spirit matter) and element (physical matter)-two things...that which acts and that which is acted upon-two things...fire and brimstone-two things...gee, I wonder if there is a connection?...

wink.gif

Nicolla, I've got a question for you. You stated: Truth cannot be destroyed, it is from everlasting to everlasting, as is light.

If neither light nor truth can be destroyed, what happens to the light and truth in the following scripture?

39 And that wicked one cometh and taketh away light and truth, through disobedience, from the children of men, and because of the tradition of their fathers.  (D&C 93)

The devil uses neither light nor truth, so when he takes it away, what does he do with it?

Reconcile Edited: Buggeyes on 25th Jun, 2004 - 8:55am

Post Date: 25th Jun, 2004 - 6:19pm / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?
A Friend

Intelligence What

Just as the scripture says, light and truth is taken away through disobedience. So it isn't so much that the devil takes the light and truth as much as we lose it as we follow the devil.

It is the exact opposite effect of the previously mentioned scripture, instead of growing in light and truth we diminish in light and truth. Through obedience to God, we gain light and truth and through disobedience to God, we lose it.

The world recognizes this, we've all heard and some experienced how people often say that certain people have a light about them. It is as much a physical thing as it is a spiritual.

This line of questioning also leads one to wonder what the antithesis of gaining all light and truth is. Losing all light and truth? I would say yes. And according to my theories of our basic unit (intelligence) being light and truth, that would mean that we would become disorganized and return to the primal state of intelligences. That brings up lots of questions and odd consequences but it isn't just me that believes this. Brigham young stated that the devil will eventually become disorganized because he is losing light and truth. The quote is in the journal of discourses. I'll find it and cite it next time.

Post Date: 18th Apr, 2006 - 9:03pm / Post ID: #

What Is Intelligence?
A Friend

What Is Intelligence?

Has anyone heard of "Super String Theory"?

https://www.superstringtheory.com/

I watched a special on NOVA on this a while I ago and I could not stop thinking about the way they described them and the way that the Prophets have described intelligences.

For instance in Super string theory to change the properties of say Water into say Wine, it is completely scientifically possible. All you have to do is change the vibration of the strings inside of the water.

According to the theory Atoms are constructed of these little vibrating strings and that all matter and energy in the universe is constructed of these things. The only difference between types of matter is how the strings vibrate. If it is true then the entire Universe would have a harmony to it.

I know I"m not doing it Justice but when I saw the special I was blown away. It made so much sense to me that science had discovered intelligences.

But Maybe I"m crazy, is there any LDS String Scientist out there that could has thought the same things as me or am I the only one?

Reconcile Edited: dmyze on 18th Apr, 2006 - 9:08pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Apr, 2006 - 10:12pm / Post ID: #

What Intelligence - Page 3

You bring up some very interesting ideas.

I would suggest that you read through some of John Pratt's writings on Meridian Magazine:
https://www.meridianmagazine.com/

Do a search for his name, and you will find lots of extremely interesting articles having to do with science, as related to LDS doctrines. I haven't read much of his work lately, as it is very deep, but he does a good job of making it interesting as well.

3rd Aug, 2006 - 1:18pm / Post ID: #

What Intelligence Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

I am sorry to post twice in a row, but I went back and read some of the original thread from the beginning and had some comments. First I see a lot of talk about Cleon Skousen's ideas of intelligence and atonement. I personally knew Cleon, and spend many hours studying with him and discussing doctrine. I have heard his atonement idea many a times from him personally, it was a great experience to know such a man. Anyway he had told me many a times that these ideas were not his. These ideas came from Apostle John A Widsoe, who he studied under while he was serving his mission in England. Widsoe taught Cleon the concept and all of the scriptural references. In fact Widsoe encouraged him to publish the article that you are reading, because his idea differed from a few other apostles in the 12 at the time, and by publishing the article himself would cause problems within the quorum. Therefore Cleon was always quick to say that these ideas were not his. Cleon would go even further and say that Elder Widtsoe told him that these concepts came from Brigham Young who he had learned from. So I guess according to Cleon, the intelligence and atonement theory originated from Brigham Young. Personally I think that Cleon's intelligences ideas are good. It does leave some things open and some loose ends. However you can see his ideas in such works as the Journal of discourses, Pratt's book Key to Science of Theology to name a few. Cleon's ideas are good starting point to begin in an understanding of the intelligences and the atonement and opens doors to further paths to follow Like Eugene England's comments on the atonement. Sorry if this post is a little off topic, I hope it givies some insight to where some of these ideas disccussed came from.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: What Is Intelligence?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,