Post War Iraq - Page 9 of 171

A point of interest here. On this day, April - Page 9 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 30th Apr, 2003 - 8:16am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 171 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (171) »

?
Poll: What are your strongest feelings about the war in Iraq?
  Bush did and is doing the right thing       27.12%
  It started well, but seems to be ending bad       13.56%
  I am totally neutral about the topic       3.39%
  Saddam needed to be removed, but not in this way       16.95%
  I think that the US should have never invaded       25.42%
  The war is wrong in all aspects       13.56%
Total Votes: 59
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 

versus U.S.A. So, now that the USA left Iraq can the country rebuild herself and become stable?
Post War Iraq Related Information to Post War Iraq
29th Apr, 2003 - 2:00am / Post ID: #

Post War Iraq - Page 9

When I saw the people celebrating the Birthday of Saddam I could not help to think of this word... 'IGNORANCE!' need I explain why? If I do, let me know. Anyway, as usual ABC News always seems to bring some food for thought:

The U.S. tends to personalize its conflicts.  Panama was all about
Noriega.  Serbia was Milosevic.  Iraq has always been about Saddam.  Now
no dictator rules alone.  It's clear that Saddam used repression and
threats to obtain loyalty.  But there were clearly thousands of people who
were more than willing to be a part of his regime.  Whether that was out
of true belief or fear or simply self-interest is hard to say.  So what
has happened to all of those people?  We all focus on the deck of cards of
the most wanted, but what about the rank and file?  In the past, Saddam's
birthday has been the occasion for a week of festivities.  Today either
is, or would have been, his 66th birthday.  Needless to say, the
celebrations are a little more muted this year.  But parts of the country
are still sympathetic to Saddam.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
29th Apr, 2003 - 2:38am / Post ID: #

Iraq War Post

I could not believe when I saw the images on TV! :smile.gif Celebrating the b-day of a guy who treated them like crap!!!??? :smile.gif :smile.gif :smile.gif

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 29th Apr, 2003 - 3:18pm / Post ID: #

Post War Iraq
A Friend

Post War Iraq History & Civil Business Politics

Those boys been sitting around too many camel dung campfires! They need too lay off the hookah pipes and get a grip!

But LDS, going back to your "democracy" thing, the point I was making is a "democracy" in the strict sense of the word is a lousy form of government.

The US is NOT a democracy. It is a REPUBLIC, which means there is a set of principles we go by that assure all minorities equal rights, equal say. This is to prevent any one majority (like radical religious groups) from forcing their beliefs on everybody else.

But even the supposedly most astute, learned politicians insist on calling us a democracy. It makes me want to knock them in the head!

29th Apr, 2003 - 4:46pm / Post ID: #

Page 9 Iraq War Post

I thought the war was almost over...so why there are so many killings in Iraq recently...what's going on?.

[offtopic]

The US is NOT a democracy. It is a REPUBLIC, which means there is a set of principles we go by that assure all minorities equal rights, equal say. This is to prevent any one majority (like radical religious groups) from forcing their beliefs on everybody else.

But even the supposedly most astute, learned politicians insist on calling us a democracy. It makes me want to knock them in the head!

Very true. Democracy in fact is a way of dictatorship since the majority is the one that has the rights and power. Anyhow,   my country is also a  Republic. But let me ask you something based on this statement I found:
"Actually, the United States is a mixture of the two systems of government (Republican under Common Law, and democratic
under statutory law). The People enjoy their God-given natural rights in the Republic. In a democracy, the Citizens enjoy only
government granted privileges (also known as civil rights).

What do you think about that?. Technically yes the USA is a Republic but what about practically?.[/offtopic]

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 29th Apr, 2003 - 6:02pm / Post ID: #

Post War Iraq
A Friend

Iraq War Post

Why are there so many killings?
Because those people are crazy!
Haven't you noticed?
Look at the Palestinians. They get Israel ready to talk peace, and Hamas says they're going to wage war on their own cabinet.

[offtopic]Practically speaking, we act as a democracy in many ways, by passing laws that are unconstitutional, based on a majority vote. So, in some ways we wind up acting like a democracy[/offtopic]

29th Apr, 2003 - 6:18pm / Post ID: #

Post War Iraq

I think the US troops should leave Iraq right away...actually I thought they would long time ago but they still there I guess looking to find more weapons of mass destruction. But the majority of the Iraqis don't want them there...why the heck then the US troops still there? isn't important to respect the wishes of the people even though in my opinion they're insane?

[offtopic] Oh that's why most people think in the USA as a democracy and not as a Republic. Maybe is not a matter of the people's confusion but the Government itself trying to govern with the wrong tool[/offtopic]

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th Apr, 2003 - 7:59am / Post ID: #

Post War Iraq
A Friend

Post War Iraq - Page 9

"U.S. troops opened fire on anti-American demonstrators for the second time this week as Iraqis marched Wednesday to protest the previous shooting. The local hospital said one person was killed and at least 16 other wounded. "

https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...a/iraq_shooting

With news like this coming in, I think the American troops are heading towards bigger problems. Now Fallujah, next maybe Basra, Tikrit,... and very soon the whole country explodes, again.

The American troops might as well just get out of there.

Post Date: 30th Apr, 2003 - 8:16am / Post ID: #

Post War Iraq
A Friend

Post War Iraq Politics Business Civil & History - Page 9

A point of interest here. On this day, April 30 in 1975, Saigon fell and the Vietnam War came to an end. The interesting thing is that the South Vietnamese govt surrendered, and with that there was practically no chaos in the aftermath:

"Vietcong troops, many barefoot and some no more than teenagers, rounded up government soldiers, and raised their red and blue flags. The looting which has ravaged the city over the last 24 hours stopped, and power was restored later in the day. Only the United States embassy remained closed and silent, ransacked by looters. "

https://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/2498441.stm

Now, I wonder if the same situation could have happened if Saddam Hussein had surrendered just before the US troops reached Baghdad. Would all the chaos and looting be prevented then? And probably a quick transition to a legit and internationally recognised govt  just like Vietnam. Maybe, but we can only speculate. :smile.gif

> TOPIC: Post War Iraq

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,