2004 Olympics - Page 3 of 4

The USOC accomplishes the goal they set for - Page 3 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 29th Aug, 2004 - 3:41am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
22nd Aug, 2004 - 1:56am / Post ID: #

2004 Olympics - Page 3

Michael Phelps ended up winning a 6th gold medal and a record-tying 8th medal this Olympics without having to get wet at all! His team also broke the World Record for 400m Individual Medley relay. Nice job for a 19 year old!

Update: US Men's Olympic Basketball team lost to Lithuania 94-90, and now are 2-2 in group play fighting for a spot in the next round.

Reconcile Edited: malexander on 22nd Aug, 2004 - 2:10am

Sponsored Links:
26th Aug, 2004 - 5:39pm / Post ID: #

Olympics

US Men's Olympic Basketball team pulled off a shock win against the Spanish team today 102-94. Spain was 5-0 before today's contest and was considered a favorite for the Gold medal. Stephon Marbury led the US team with a US record breaking 31 points, and 6-9 shooting from the 3-point arc. At the end of the game, there was a bit of heated argument between the opposing team's coaches over a time-out taken with less than 4 seconds and a hefty lead. The Spanish coach was later quoted as saying that the Americans were 'spoiled brats' and that a coach like Dean Smith would not have done such a disrespectful act. Ouch!
All this makes me wonder where the US team has really got their act together or were they just keeping things close for the ratings?! Nonetheless, the US team advances to the semi-finals and now has a chance to play for a medal. They will meet the winner of the Greece-Argentina game.
Another Olympic fact worth taking note of: Gal Fridman won Gold for Israel in the Men's Mistral Sailing event; the first gold medal ever for his country. Prior to this they had won 2 silver and 3 bronze. This is a lot better memory for this country to have after what happened in the '72 Olympics in Munich.

26th Aug, 2004 - 6:28pm / Post ID: #

2004 Olympics UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I watched several of the beach volleyball matches. It was sad that we only got to see parts of each one, and then only the ones with US competitors involved.

Kerri Walsh and Misty May completely dominated this event. The never lost a single game, winning each match 2 - 0. When the went up against the other US team in the semifinals, there wasn't even a slight question after the first few minutes of who was going to win.

In the final against Brazil, it looked a little bit more even, but Mays and Walsh still took it all the way. It was really an incredible performance all the way through.

We caught a little bit of the women's triathlon last night. What an amazing performance by Austria's Kate Allen. Apparently, nobody even knew who she was, or what she was capable of. She came from the middle to back of the pack and just swept through the entire group within the last few minutes of the race. Incredible speed at the end of a very difficult race.

I saw Rulon Gardner's win of the Bronze in Greco-Roman wrestling. He did so extremely well, and lost that one match in the semifinals, otherwise would have taken the gold home. It was very moving to see him remove his shoes in the middle of the mat, signifying that he was retiring from wrestling.

27th Aug, 2004 - 2:24am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Olympics

They will meet the winner of the Greece-Argentina game.

They will play with Argentina tomorrow for the semi-finals! undecided.gif oh boy, I was expecting meeting them in the final not now! oh well.... shocked.gif' /><!--endemo--> I wish the best to my country of course, it is not that I don't have faith in them but we are talking about the US team that even though Argentina is one of the best southamerican basketball teams, we will be playing against the inventors of basketball! oh boy.....<br /> </p><div> </div> </div>

<br>
<br>

<div style=
27th Aug, 2004 - 3:48am / Post ID: #

Olympics

I wouldn't worry too much about the US team, LDS_forever. The Argentines have done well so far and unless the US brings their A game like they did today, then it will be very close.
I wanted to talk about something I witnessed today and see what the opinions were on the forum. In the Men's 400M hurdles, Felix Sanchez of the Dominican Republic won the Gold while the American James Carter failed to medal coming in fourth. What peaked my interest in this was the fact that Felix is a dual citizen of the US and the Dominican Republic, and he trained with the US squad for some time till deciding to compete for the Dominican Republic. His reason for doing so was because the US would be taking home close to 100 medals from the Olympics (that was the US Olympic Committee's goal), while the Dominican Republic would be happy if one of their athletes won a medal, much less gold.
This would be fine if it wasn't for this. Before the race, the camera zoomed in on Felix, who was wearing one of those electric dog collars around his wrist. He said he wore it to remind himself of his failure in the Sydney Olympics when he did not medal. After the race, he was interviewed, and was asked whether the collar would be gone for good now. To which he replied something like this "Yeah, the collar is history, unless Carter wants to wear it now" referring to the aforementioned Carter, who seemingly pulled up lame and finished 4th.
It almost makes it seem like there was some grudge being held by Felix towards Carter or the American squad, which raises questions about the real reason he dropped off the US team to compete for Dominican Republic. Did anyone else hear or see this and what is your take on the whole matter?

28th Aug, 2004 - 9:02pm / Post ID: #

2004 Olympics

Did anyone else hear or see this and what is your take on the whole matter?

I heard about it and I thought his statement was totally out of place and very prideful. I was also not very keen about the fact that he trained with US coaches, live in the US but ran for Dominican Republic, now his reasons are fine with me and I think he is right but after making that statement I started wondering if his reasons were really for another cause undecided.gif

Argentina beated the US basketball team 89-81 and is playing right now against Italy for the gold medal. I really hope Argentina can give us another gold medal. smile.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Aug, 2004 - 9:40pm / Post ID: #

2004 Olympics - Page 3

Argentina won the gold medal in basketball!!!!!! they beated Italy 84-69. I am sooooo happy for the boys and for the whole Argentina that needs a smile once in a while. smile.gif Vamos ARGENTINA!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

29th Aug, 2004 - 3:41am / Post ID: #

2004 Olympics Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 3

The USOC accomplishes the goal they set for 100 medals in the Olympics. Here are the medal standings after today's competitions. I dont think there are many if any events tomorrow so this should be close to if not a final count:

1 USA 34 38 28 100
2 CHN 31 17 14 62
3 RUS 23 26 35 84
4 AUS 17 16 16 49
5 JPN 15 10 11 36
6 GER 14 15 18 47

Reconcile Edited: malexander on 29th Aug, 2004 - 3:42am

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: 2004 Olympics

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,