Philosophies Of Men, Mingled With Scripture - Page 2 of 3

The teaching of the church (the real doctrine) - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th May, 2010 - 5:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 1st Aug, 2008 - 2:34am / Post ID: #

Philosophies Of Men, Mingled With Scripture
A Friend

Philosophies Of Men, Mingled With Scripture - Page 2

In getting Truth from the Holy Ghost there are two things that are vital which are sometimes confused by the individual.
1. Feelings
2. Worthiness to receive truth.

I have seen and experienced this myself. It can be difficult, however, if we always follow the highest light we have been given, then, when we find ourselves wrong, (and we always eventually do), we can leave behind our previous light and take hold of the new highest light. In this way we will be lead from revelation to revelation building line upon line, here a little and there a little until we know as God knows.

Neither progression nor seeking truth are tasks that we ever pride ourselves on completing. We can't become stagnet saying I have found the truth. There is always more that we do not understand...

On another thread suggested that we question what we think we already know. (This completes the entire discussion from that thread.) I wrote the following:

Here are some examples of mingled with scripture:

WoW => Hot drinks "has been interpreted to be Tea and Coffee". - But what does the doctrine really say? What is the barley drink that we are supposed to drink? Under what circumstances should we eat meat and why is it ok to eat meat at that time? What is the spirit of the law vs the letter of the law? What are the blessings of the WoW? Do you have those blessings? Are you living the law on which those blessings are guaranteed?

Tithing => The Law of temporal and spiritual prosperity - Pay 10 percent of ? Net? or Gross? I have never found either in the scriptures, but it does say something else many people don't seem to consider. If one of the blessings of paying tithing is temporal prosperity, then why do Mormons have the highest bankruptcy rates in the country? (Even those who pay tithing are often poor.) Net and gross doesn't make us prosperous, but what does? What is the actual doctrine?

The Kingdom of God => What is it? Where is it? Why should we not follow people who say "look, here it is" or "look, it's over there"? Where are people taken when they go to the kingdom of God? How is it the "rock" cut from the mountain "without hands"? How will it destoroy all the govenments of the earth? Does that include both temporal and spiritual governments?

These are just questions that I believe lead to non-standard answers suggesting that we reconsider what we have been told, (and taken for granted), by men. The ideas of men mingled with scripture. Ask your own questions, and pretend you don't know. Find out what do the scriptures really say without applying the commonly known teachings. Is it scary to read the scriptures for what they say without trying to make them say what we are taught? What if they say something different than what we believe or are taught? Should that surprise us? How do we reconcile it?

The BIG question is How much do we really rely on the Holy Ghost to teach us all things?

What are your thoughts? Good seed or bad? Why?

Sponsored Links:
1st Aug, 2008 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Scripture Mingled Men Philosophies

For each of those things that you have brought up (tithing, Word of Wisdom) you will find in depth Discussion on it within this Board, a lot of it I have expressed my feels on as well trying to get the opinions out of the facts (mingled with scripture). You will find mentioning it in those Threads specifically may initiate the Discussion you are looking for.

For instance:

* Ttihes - Gross or Net
* Mothers WHo Know
* Working On Sunday?
* You Can Run, But You Can't Hide
* White Shirts and Ties

In the Mature Board, even better:

* In that Day Seven Women Shall...
* Pregnant Again or Not
* Commune With the Saints
* The Prophet said so, is that enough?
* Rape In Lds Culture
* The Endowment
* Your Leaders Follow The Beast
* Too Much Knowledge = Depression?
And on, and on...

QUOTE (Amonhi)
..we can leave behind our previous light and take hold of the new highest light.

I believe you mean we can increase our light, since truth of itself is only widened in our view rather than changed. It is like opening a door to a lighted room. The more you open the door the more light you see. Opening the door is not as simple as a push though, even for the elected, in my opinion.

Post Date: 1st Aug, 2008 - 6:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Philosophies Of Men, Mingled With Scripture Studies Doctrine Mormon

I believe you mean we can increase our light, since truth of itself is only widened in our view rather than changed. It is like opening a door to a lighted room. The more you open the door the more light you see. Opening the door is not as simple as a push though, even for the elected, in my opinion.

I mean both. Yes, we can increase our light or understanding of truth, however I am referring to a more difficult process to see. It is the stepping process in which by living the highest we currently know we will see a higher truth which makes the old one obsolete. Here are two examples...

Our societies have evolved:
- When men were not organized and they were fending for themselves life was hard. Then someone decided that grouping together in tribes was a better idea. (Higher Light)
- Eventually everyone could see the benefits of living in tribes and so, in time, the entire world began following that pattern. After living in tribes for a while some decided that having one tribal leader created problems. So they decided to create the Feudal system with many leaders and a hierarchy. (New Higher Light)
- There were problems with the feudal system that no one could have predicted without living it. But it was better than the tribal system and societies in this system advanced faster, etc. So eventually this also caught on and spread.
- When the problems became so bad, and the opportunity was right, a new improved system was created which built on the lessons learned from the previous system. It was the constitutional protected democratic republic. Which was better than everything before it. (New Higher Light) It was unlike any other system ever created. And now it is still shredding across the world.
- There are problems with our current system. They are becoming more and more apparent. Eventually a new system will be created which will be a new light. It will be based on self government with each person governing themselves using principles of peace and unity. To some it will appear as a digression where there is no leadership. But it will be chalk full of leadership. There will be no laws, the way we know them now, but at the same time, individual freedom will be protected. In our society now, all men are mostly equal, almost. In the new, all men will be more equal. It will be a higher light.
- In each step in our progress we have improved with a higher light. But to actually make the step to the new light, we had to leave the old system completely. Yes, we did you what we learned and so the truths we had before did come with us, but we did not build on the truths in the societies we had before, we re-engineered them and started from scratch. We will not be able to build on this constitutional society to create the new one, it will have to be re-engineered from scratch with the lessons we have learned.

Also, in this process, the First to create the new systems are the last to leave them. So the first shall be last and the last shall be first.

Also, notice that as individual men or even tribes we could not comprehend having a society like our current one. It was beyond our experience. When the first tribe was created, they were not even thinking about co-operating with other tribes which didn't exist yet, they were thinking about becoming a bigger tribe possibly like a gang protecting their own interests.

When we are in the Telestial world, we cannot comprehend the things of the Celestial. We live too far removed from it.

Another example is that of Christ and his Church. (In line with this subject, this is the teaches of a man mingled with scriptures.) The world in which we now live is a Telestial world. It cannot jump to a celestial world without a middle step to help bridge the gap. A mediator. Which is Christ. Notice that the entire atonement and every aspect of repentance including baptism and the sacrament are part of the lower law or the Aaronic priesthood. Animal sacrifices were also done by the Levitical or Aaronic priesthood, just as Christ sacrifice on the cross. These are all part of the lower law.

We begin in the world or telestial kingdom, then we progress to the Church which is designed to take men out of the world and prepare them for the CK. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a higher light, but it is not the highest. Notice the name of the church refers to the members of the Church. (Christ and Latter-day Saints) When men receive their calling and election made sure they become part of the Church of the Firstborn, having become, like Christ a First Born of God. (All members are Firstborn, hence the Church of the Firstborn.) The LDS are those who have accepted Christ - The main criteria of the Terestial (middle) Kingdom. But they have not necessarily received their calling and election made sure. They have not gotten the higher light available. They have accepted a higher light above that provided by the world. They live very different from those in the telestial world. They don't really build on the truths there, they have different ways.

Those in the celestial kingdom have different ways still, higher light. If a person who was new to the terrestrial way were to consider the Celestial, they would think it was a bad idea. And for them it would be. Applying higher truths to a darkened mind is always a bad idea.

One stark example of the difference between the lower law, Aaronic priesthood and the Higher law, is the dead works. There are a lot of dead works in the lower or Aaronic law. And the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was created because we needed dead works. Nobody can make a statement like that without giving some reference. There are lots, but here are two:

Wherefore, although a man should be baptized an hundred times it availeth him nothing, for you cannot enter in at the strait gate by the law of Moses, neither by your dead works.
    For it is because of your dead works that I have caused this last covenant and this church to be built up unto me, even as in days of old. - D&C 22:2-3

Therefore, he took Moses out of their midst, and the Holy Priesthood also;
  And the lesser priesthood continued, which priesthood holdeth the key of the ministering of angels and the preparatory gospel;
  Which gospel is the gospel of repentance and of baptism, and the remission of sins, and the law of carnal commandments, which the Lord in his wrath caused to continue with the house of Aaron among the children of Israel until John, whom God raised up, being filled with the Holy Ghost from his mother's womb. - D&C 84:25-27

This lower law of carnal commandments and Aaronic priesthood ordinances were given in 'the Lords wrath". Necessary because the people were not ready to live the higher light, which does not include repentance in the same way. In fact, those with their C&E made sure should not even "assent" to the death of Christ. (Look it up.) That wouldn't work at all for those in the lower law/Aaronic Priesthood. Aaronic priesthood teaching salvation and the Mel. Teaching exaltation.
There are no ordinances of repentance in the Mel. Priesthood. The higher law coming through the Holy Ghost, the first of the Mel. Priesthood ordinances. But, there is still higher as those who have their C&E made sure have access to the sealing power or fullness of the Mel. Priesthood. (Not keys over government positions in the church.)
:-o That is what I was referring to. Thoughts, questions, agree, disagree? It is all mingled with scripture, hehehe, but what is scripture?

14th Aug, 2008 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Scripture Mingled Men Philosophies

Doesn't this thread look a lot like the title "Philosophies Of Men, Mingled With Scripture", just an observation. wink.gif

9th Apr, 2010 - 7:09pm / Post ID: #

Scripture Mingled Men Philosophies

I don't know how I missed this thread. Anyhow yes answering to Gaucho we do teach philosophies of men mingled with scripture. A few I can think of from the top of my head are the white shirt issue we discussed in another thread, the whole idea that prophets and leaders cant lead you astray and that every single person in a church calling has been called by inspiration from God....thats about it there are more I will add them later.

Post Date: 7th May, 2010 - 5:22am / Post ID: #

A Friend

The church is perfect, the teachings are perfect, but the people who teach and live them are not.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th May, 2010 - 12:10pm / Post ID: #

Philosophies Men Mingled Scripture - Page 2

international QUOTE (Woody @ 7-May 10, 5:22 AM)
the teachings are perfect

What do you mean by that? Also do you refer to present teachings only or you also include the past ones?

Post Date: 7th May, 2010 - 5:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Philosophies Men Mingled Scripture Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

The teaching of the church (the real doctrine) is perfect. It is perfect because it is God's teaching and God is perfect. Yes this includes all teachings past and present. Even the teachings that God has found in his wisdom to change (plural marriage, priesthood to all races) were at the time they were in effect perfect. If it were not so then this would not be THE church of God.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Philosophies Of Men, Mingled With Scripture

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,