Scotland Independence From Kingdom

Scotland Independence Kingdom - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 10th Feb, 2013 - 7:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
Scots British News
27th Nov, 2006 - 3:01pm / Post ID: #

A possible England and Scotland divorce? Looks like the people of each country wouldn't mind at least a trial separation. Even Wales and N. Ireland are potentially to be orphaned if the pollsters have their way. To most of us outside the UK, we already think that they are separate entities. So what does everyone think about this? I would love to hear what people inside England, Scotland, N. Ireland or Whales had to think about it. It would be interesting to see if they agree with the article:

Source 6

I realize that "The Sun" Is a rather sensational piece of literature, but the story interest me.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Sponsored Links:
27th Nov, 2006 - 6:58pm / Post ID: #

Kingdom Independence Scotland

In the modern world, with the wonderful technology we have, along with modern representative governments available, I can't see any reason at all for Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland to not become their own countries. They could still be part of the Commonwealth, and still be "states", although independent, of the United Kingdom.

I know that there are very strong movements within each of these "countries" for independence from the British government. I don't know how much support these movements have within the general populations.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

30th Nov, 2006 - 3:03am / Post ID: #

Scotland Independence From Kingdom History & Civil Business Politics

For what purpose? I always say divided we fall. They are a Kingdom made up of Kingdoms, what more separate do you need than that? However, they (others besides England) may have old grudges because they are often seen as conquered countries.

I remember when I was in Wales I could not pass on literature to certain natives if they saw it was in English - they saw that as an insult - they wanted it in Welsh. Geographically they are small already, splitting up will only cause even bigger issues over small things. My opinion of course, maybe our UK based Members can say different.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

30th Nov, 2006 - 10:25am / Post ID: #

From what I have read, it seems that the individual parts of the Kingdom are not feeling as equally represented or rather their interest are not being addressed as they would like and this is the reason for the proposed split. Exactly how popular this movement is does not seem too well defined, but is present.

I initially kind of thought...well it will not be too different from today. However, the more I think about it, the bigger the impact would be for each country. From the most basic things as to the flags to more complicated issues such as defense and money, it is not quite a simple parting of ways. While there is substantial infastructure within Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland, everything ties back to London. There would need to be a major layer of government needed to take the place of London in each country. Of course, each country will probably require their own military for defense. Do they adopt the Euro...that is a huge change. Is there individual UN representation? If there is a separtation that is total, is England still a G8 country (it definitely got a lot smaller individually). The questions just continue...

With all this said, if I am in Wales, Scotland or N. Ireland and am not getting what I need from the union, I can definitely see a reason for the split. I would just warn those countries to think it through logically and see if there is not a way to get what they need through the union, because there is so much that would need to be done for a complete separation, I cannot help but think things would be missed!

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

30th Nov, 2006 - 11:26am / Post ID: #

Better or more effective representation is needed rather than splitting, however it may just be empty threats to get England to take notice of their lack of governance within / with the other kingdoms. The number I believe would really want such a split would be few in number - extremist measures usually are not suggested by the majority unless they are in peril.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 16th Jan, 2007 - 1:16pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hmmm. Hey - just new here.

A few thoughts about this, as a Scot. Apologies for the long mail, but you have an interesting thread here - and it's good to talk to peeps from the US etc

The reasons for a suggested split don't merely encompass the recent political feelings of England [post Scottish devolution].

The fact is, that two from three Scots equate with being Scottish - rather than British.

'British' doesn't mean anything. Further, it can't exist by defintion.

It simply means different things to different people - be they on the 'Celtic fringe' or people who have come to these islands recently.

To that end, most young Scots struggle to communicate with the idea of being British at all! Being British is seen by most Scots as a fantastic concept - if you're English.

Scottish/Welsh devolution was required - merely political will and a measure from the labour govt. to stop losing votes in Wales and Scotland [England, on it's own, would not vote in a labour parliament]. There is nothing odd about the Scottish vote pointing increasingly towards independance. England and Scotland would both undoubtedly benefit from this action. For various reason, federalism cannot work either. There is no need for anger or fear. What is alarming are the underhand/bizarre tactics employed by a hypocritical labour party who seem intent on making a mockery of democracy - the English themselves can see the impractical *fudge* of union as Labour have no answer to the post-devolution nugget whereby Scots MPs can vote in 'UK' matters that affect England, but the English can't do likewise!

Of course, as Scots, we've been on the receiving end of unionist fudges right through the last Conservative British govt. [where 90% of Scotland voted against the Conservatives, but they got in on the English vote!].

You see?

As well as making a fudge of democracy in England, Labour would have Scots believe that they are open to attack by Al Qaeda, should the union end! Shame on them! Gordon Brown [future Britsh PM] scuttles about, preaching unionist doctrine in England, whilst nursing the bagpipe vibe in his native Scotland. All focusing on fudging through his goal as the future UK prime minister. Very transparent. I hope we embrace this split for all our sakes, and pay scant regard to further labour scaremongering.

Thus far, we've had labour ministers - especially the Scottish labour ministers, try to scare their own countrymen - with some really laughable explanations...

- we shouldn't split 'cos of family ties - - - eh, I have relatives in England - still gonna talk to them after independence!
- we'll have a Balkans type scenario - - - utter rubbish. Couldn't happen, ever. Rather, it'd more be akin to the Czech/Slovak split - on a handshake.
- An independent Scotland would be more open to attack by Islamic extremists - - - ludicrous. Shameful, in fact. Other than the fact that most Scots didn't want the 'British war' in Iraq, I'd have thought we're a more tangible target if we redevelop the British Trident Nuclear arsenal...in Scotland!

So many strands here - a few small truths. Unionists do not desire a split, but rather than debate truthfully, they are devoted to lies and fear - where none is required.

Scottish Labour's treachery knows no bounds. Any party that claims to be acting in the interest of her own people whilst actively generating as much fear as possible [inc. the inevitable Al Qaeda attack!] in order to steer people away from independence has my full contempt. Expect to see the usual negative campaign from the British mass media in Scotland. Especially the tabloids. It's a wonder there a nationalist vote in Scotland at all - given the powers of the 'British' mass media in Scotland.

I truly hope the Scots/English see through them and divorce on a handshake.

Reconcile Edited: gingerbadger on 16th Jan, 2007 - 1:19pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th Feb, 2012 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

Scotland Independence Kingdom

UK's Cameron: Scotland must snub independence
(AP)

AP - Heading to Scotland for talks on an independence referendum, British Prime Minister David Cameron said Thursday that he would fight "head, heart and soul" To prevent the breakup of the United Kingdom.
Source: Yahoo! News: World - Britain

Post Date: 10th Feb, 2013 - 7:48pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Scotland Independence Kingdom Politics Business Civil & History

Cameron concedes Scotland ready

British Prime Minister David Cameron concedes that Scotland had what it takes to be an independent nation, but said it currently enjoyed "'the best of both worlds"", imploring it not to break the United Kingdom apart. Ref. Source 8

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Scotland Independence From Kingdom

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,