Seek To Be Elected?

Seek Elected - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Jun, 2008 - 5:44pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
LDS Members in Government?
Seek To Be Elected? Related Information to Seek To Be Elected?
25th Aug, 2004 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

Seek To Be Elected?

Seek To Be Elected?

Should members seek to be elected to a position in Government that would put them in a leadership role? What about if doing so meant that you would have to run with a party that did not have the same standards you aim for as an LDS Member? This may also be a good time to discuss the purposes in Joseph running for President - did he really expect to win?

BELIEFS PROMPT SOME TO SEEK OFFICE
See Read More...

Members of the Church who hold public office in northern California include Representative John Doolittle; the mayors of Roseville, Elk Grove, Rocklin,  Gridley, and Biggs; and the vice mayor of Folsom. Because the Church  emphasizes civic service, it is only natural for Church members to seek  public office, says Dennis Holland, public information officer for the Church in the Sacramento area.

Sponsored Links:
25th Aug, 2004 - 4:39pm / Post ID: #

Elected To Seek

Well, we have been counseled to be involved in politics. We are supposed to start at the local level, but that doesn't mean we should stay at the local level. We definately need more politicians with sound moral standards. So, I think if you have the qualifications and the desire, as a good member, this is something you should consider. The Governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney, is LDS.

However, I don't think you should do it if it means representing a party that does not represent your values and moral standards. I don't think the "reach my goal at any cost" approach is a wise one. If you can't get elected as a member of the party that best represents your beliefs, you can still work within that party to help elect those who are currently the favored candidates.

Post Date: 23rd Nov, 2006 - 5:13pm / Post ID: #

Seek To Be Elected?
A Friend

Seek To Be Elected? Studies Doctrine Mormon

For the past year I've been watching the career of Gov. Mitt Romney, and there has been much talk about him running for U.S. President . I think it would be a great blessing to have Brother Romney as commander and chief. For me, knowing he is LDS lets me know what his values are, and I would vote for some one with church standards because they are the same standards I aspire for.
It's a bit funny, knowing that the Church will be in charge of the government during the millennium, and now having a member as a possible candidate.

9th Dec, 2006 - 6:37am / Post ID: #

Elected To Seek

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15936002/

An interesting video interview discussing how Mitt Romney might do in the run for president.

Post Date: 15th Dec, 2006 - 12:36pm / Post ID: #

Seek To Be Elected?
A Friend

Elected To Seek

I too, have been watching the "mitt romney for president" thing to see how it develops, and even though he hasn't announced anything I'm still hopeful. I wouldn't hesitate to vote for another member if they were strong in the church and had as good of a track record as Romney does. It would be comforting to know that the decisions they make could be more inspired, and more in line with Christ's church than that of a non-member.

Post Date: 23rd Dec, 2006 - 1:24am / Post ID: #

Seek To Be Elected?
A Friend

Seek To Be Elected?

JB

Should members seek to be elected to a position in Government that would put them in a leadership role?

We lead in church, families, civic groups, etc. Why not in government? We are citizens and must live under its rule. I believe we should seek those positions and try to influence others to vote for the "right" things.

What about if doing so meant that you would have to run with a party that did not have the same standards you aim for as an LDS Member?

I had this very discussion with my sister last week. I'm registered Republican and am a city councilman, she's Constitution. If you read the Constitution party platform it is very close to LDS beliefs. So why don't I register as Constitution and work to further that party? I haven't studied all parties so maybe there is one that would be even better, but the reasons I'm stating next apply the same. Following is how I feel.

Anyone can and should be involved in issues that are important to them. Citizens can get issues on the ballet. They can attend meetings and write letters and make their views heard. More should be involved and less should be discouraged. However, because we live under the current government and that is the rule of law for now, the fact is, most things will ultimately boil down to the actions/votes of the politicians. So we need people in government that will represent and fight for our values. Who better than a member of the church? We need the right people in office so they can vote for the right things. By "right people" I mean those who will vote for the things that are best for the citizens, and are inline with the original Constitution and Gods commandments. True, as a Democrat or a Republican politician, if you don't vote down the party line most of the time you won't be too popular with that party. But then again, that isn't why you should be in politics.

To address your question of being part of a party that doesn't share the same values. The fact is that the Republican and Democrat parties have more power, influence and credibility then the other parties or independents currently do. As the way things currently are, I have very little chance of winning an election unless I run as a Republican or Democrat. Part of that is the voters fault for not researching the candidates and taking a stand with write in votes. Part of that is the systems fault (way to much to go into). But I can vote for the right things, regardless of what party I belong too. So for me, I see it as a way to get into a position where I can make a difference and promote/fight for my values. The big issue for me is not what party I belong to but will I do what's right instead of buckling under pressure from the party and special interest groups.

On a side note; because I refuse to do anything unless it is the right thing for the right reason, and I'm vocal about it, sometimes city council meetings are lively. I love it, I wouldn't have it any other way. The funny thing is, I always have people come up to me and thank me for standing up for whatever the issue was. Wish more of them would run for office.

the purposes in Joseph running for President - did he really expect to win?

I read once that Joseph ran for President, not expecting to win, but as a way to get the mistreatment of the Mormons in the spotlight since all other efforts in appealing to the government had failed. He hoped to get the sympathy and help from the rest of the nation. I tend to agree (not that I'm an authority on it).

I would enjoy hearing your opinions/perspectives.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
30th Apr, 2008 - 5:33am / Post ID: #

Seek To Elected

I read once that Joseph ran for President, not expecting to win...

It is history that he ran for President, but where did you read that he did not expect to win?

22nd Jun, 2008 - 5:44pm / Post ID: #

Seek To Elected Mormon Doctrine Studies

McKay, I think he was mostly running in order to get the petition of the Saints heard, Given that the Mormons were not popular at all during the time he knew he would not get the majority vote.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Seek To Be Elected?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,