Who Should Shoot First?

Who Shoot First - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 15th Dec, 2004 - 3:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
The cop or the criminal
Who Should Shoot First? Related Information to Who Should Shoot First?
Post Date: 27th Oct, 2004 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

Who Should Shoot First?

In the situation where a criminal and a policeman both have guns aiming at each other do you think the policeman has the right to shoot first to protect his life or should he wait until he is fired upon before firing back? State your argument in terms of the law in your country.

Sponsored Links:
28th Oct, 2004 - 3:21am / Post ID: #

First Shoot Who

I am not aware of the specific law regarding this, but in my opinion, if a gun is not only drawn but aimed at the police officer, then there is ample argument to shoot. Maybe not shoot to kill but at least to maim. I would be surprised if the law were to prevent the officer from protecting themselves in that manner.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Post Date: 1st Dec, 2004 - 4:59pm / Post ID: #

Who Should Shoot First?
A Friend

Who Should Shoot First? History & Civil Business Politics

I agree with Malexander on this. If a gun is pulled and aimed at a police officer, he has the right to protect his life. Even if he can manage to get a warning shot that would startle the gunman, that would be even better. But if it comes down to it, and if I were in that situation, and could not talk the person down, I would go for the foot.

1st Dec, 2004 - 5:31pm / Post ID: #

First Shoot Who

I don't know how it is in the US or in other countries, but in Argentina a police officer could pull his gun but do not shoot until the criminal shoot first. Obviously they do not fulfill this rule rolleyes.gif but that's how is supposed to be.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

1st Dec, 2004 - 7:59pm / Post ID: #

First Shoot Who

I prefer the German rules. The Polizei carry automatic weapons, and use them. Waiting for the criminal to shoot first is a sure way to reduce the population of police officers, instead of criminals.

And, if the policeman shoots, he must shoot to kill. It is the height of stupidity to do anything else, especially a warning shot.

1. A policeman is rarely so close to a criminal that he can actually aim for, and hit, the foot or the hand.

2. Police officers are taught (rightfully) to aim for the center of mass - the torso. When they shoot, it is to stop the criminal from shooting or otherwise harming other people (including the police officer).

3. Handguns are only accurate to a few meters. If the target is over about 15 meters away, the handgun-toting officer is extremely likely to miss the foot, and either hurt an innocent bystander or allow the criminal to shoot back.

4. Most reasonably effective handguns "kick" up when shot. If the officer shoots a warning shot, or shoots a hand or foot, then the gun is off target for a bit, which opens up the officer to be shot.

5. If the officer shoots a warning shot, that bullet has to go somewhere. If it is up, into the air, there is absolutely no control over where the bullet will go. There have been people injured and killed by bullets that have been fired into the air. Depending on the angle the gun is to the ground when it is fired, this random shot could go as much as a mile before hitting something or someone. With a rifle it is even worse.

6. Not all that many police officers are all that great of marksmen. They may be good, but they are nowhere (on average) as good as you see in the movies.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

12th Dec, 2004 - 10:45am / Post ID: #

Who Should Shoot First?

And, if the policeman shoots, he must shoot to kill. It is the height of stupidity to do anything else, especially a warning shot.

Why he should shoot to kill?. I think it is not right, you want the person alive so justice can be done, doing otherwise would be cold blood. I understand this system to be implemented in extreme circumsntances, the exception but not the rule.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Dec, 2004 - 6:55pm / Post ID: #

Who Shoot First

Because if the policeman pulls the trigger, he had better be doing it because the criminal is a direct threat. By shooting to wound only, he is leaving the opportunity still open for the criminal to kill.

Also, unless the policeman is very close (less than 5 meters away), even a very good shot will shoot for the center of mass - the heart.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 15th Dec, 2004 - 3:21pm / Post ID: #

Who Should Shoot First?
A Friend

Who Shoot First Politics Business Civil & History

Death is too final, I think there are other ways of upholding justice. In America A police officer confronting a man with a drawn weapon gives three 'warnings.' First he informs the man with the weapon that a police officer is near him. Then he MUST ask the man three times to place down his weapon, if the man makes any sudden movements, aims at police personnel, or turns his back to officers they are allowed to shoot him. It is better to injure a criminal, and this is usually the preferred action, but an officer is allowed to use killing force if necessary. Another exception to the warning procedure is when the officer feels immediate or imminent threat to his life and person.
Happy Holidays
Student

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Who Should Shoot First?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,