How You View Posts - Page 2 of 3

QUOTE (Tortdog)Just not sure how efficient - Page 2 - Community News, FAQ, Feedback - Posted: 29th Sep, 2007 - 8:28pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Do you see threads in each board as
7th Nov, 2004 - 10:04pm / Post ID: #

How You View Posts - Page 2

QUOTE (Persephone @ 1-Nov 04, 4:08 PM)
Most moderators on other forums tend to lock these 'old' topics that are 'reactivated' periodically. This does not exist on this forum...

So I guess it does exist, huh? undecided.gif

Yeah, I also tend to look for unanswered threads when I have enough time.

Sponsored Links:
7th Nov, 2004 - 11:15pm / Post ID: #

Posts View How

Old topics are locked if it has no continuance as in the case of Pre-War Iraq and Who will be the Next US President, but there is always a thread that allows the discussion to be continued, just under a different header so there is no confusion.

Post Date: 27th Nov, 2004 - 7:04pm / Post ID: #

How You View Posts
A Friend

How You View Posts Feedback & FAQ News Community

Since I'm new, there are a lot of threads that are old to a lot of oldbies, but they're new to me. That's the attitude I look at. Even if a thread is old to me, there are always new members joining, so it will be new to somebody else. Plus, somebody months or weeks later may read it and respond with a point of view that hadn't been brought up when the thread was "new."

25th Dec, 2004 - 8:23pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Posts View How

Ambria, that is great and it is how each thread should be looked on... not by date, but by content. Recently, I have been very intolerant of bad spelling and grammar in posts as they dimmish the quality of our little online DB so as soon as I see a message with not much care in it I delete it without a second thought..

Post Date: 14th Jan, 2005 - 8:56pm / Post ID: #

How You View Posts
A Friend

Posts View How

I don't want to duplicate anything about "old" and "new" posts, so let me just say that I agree 100% with Ambria on that.

As far as a thread being "popular" goes, there are obviously threads that get viewed and posted on more than others. This may tend to make some people more curious, "What could everyone be so interested in?" However, I have found that I have just as much interest in those threads that may appear to be "less popular", depending on the topic. We are such diverse people here, being an international community, and I view the topics based on interest and information I need to know or want to learn, not popularity. For example, Smudge informed me that the "War on Iraq" thread is 70 pages long. Obviously a very popular thread with popular views on some of the posts. I prefer to read all of the pages in a thread, and therefore, I am not interested in viewing or posting in it yet. Not because the topic isn't on my mind daily and affects me, not because I don't want to read and learn about other people's views and thoughts on it (I'm sure it would be quite enlightening), and definitely not because I don't care, but because I am intimidated by the thought of reading a 70 page thread. So, I guess I might be biased against a thread if it were very lengthy, like over 30 pages for me (doesn't include rave's, at least not for me.) I do hope to get around to reading the Iraq thread, though, eventually. I just try not to judge a topic by the number of views and posts, that's all.

As far as the "library" and "database" threads, of which I have been guilty of at times, I have really appreciated some of those kinds of threads because they are informative and helpful. If that person already has the knowledge and/or experience, or has already researched it, then I appreciate that and I will read about it. I feel that this is part of the purpose of posting anyway, to inform others and share your knowledge and experience. Uh, if I am wrong about this, let me know so I can stop doing it(library and database posting). smile.gif The one's I like the most are ones that give some information and then give you a resource(s) to find out more. That way, they don't take up so much space posting and I am able to get the general knowledge I needed without going too deep into the subject. Then, I can choose whether or not I want to check out the other information or link.

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 15th Jan, 2005 - 12:46am

15th Jan, 2005 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

How You View Posts

Do not feel too intimidated by lengthy threads. The most important thing to do is read the very first message and then a couple of pages before you post. Enter the conversation with 'In my opinion...' and you will be fine. If you plan to be controversial then you will need to read the many pages to find out other user's views, but if you are just stating your opinion then no one can really argue with that... wink.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 14th Sep, 2007 - 4:49am / Post ID: #

How You View Posts
A Friend

How View Posts - Page 2

My first view was one of frustration. I would be advised that I had to read an entire thread of sometimes 50+ posts of a stale thread merely because I wanted to provide input. And yet I'm providing input and the people involved in that discussion may not even be around anymore. Thus interaction with them is impossible (and it's not always likely that another would espouse their viewpoint).

It is nice in that we don't lose information as is possible in other forums. But there are forums that prevent this by maintaining an archive. So seems to me that you can have the best of both worlds.

I see the purpose. Just not sure how efficient it is, and I think it is a deterrent to active posting.

29th Sep, 2007 - 8:28pm / Post ID: #

How View Posts Community News FAQ & Feedback - Page 2

QUOTE (Tortdog)
Just not sure how efficient it is, and I think it is a deterrent to active posting.

It is HIGHLY efficent, because the purpose of this Community goes far beyond your perspective.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: How You View Posts

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,