The Best Diet - Page 2 of 4

QUOTE But I don't feel that if a person - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 8th Jan, 2005 - 7:16pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Which one is truly the best?
7th Jan, 2005 - 10:16pm / Post ID: #

The Best Diet - Page 2

When you restrict calories, your metabolism slows down making weight loss negligible.

This is only true if you are too restrictive. If a woman, for example, never goes below 1200 calories and eats more than that if she exercises, she should be fine. Of course, that depends upon how much the woman weighs at the time because the more you weigh, the more you need to eat just to maintain. Weight Watchers does a good job of helping you not to do this. I use a program called diet power. It does the same. You tell it what you weigh, it will calculate what you need to eat in calories to lose weight and will tell you if your goal is reasonable. As long as you aren't eating less than 1200 calories (plus whatever are burned in exercise) and you aren't trying to lose more than about 1 pound per week, your metabolism should be fine.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Jan, 2005 - 10:44pm / Post ID: #

The Best Diet
A Friend

Diet The

Hi everyone. I have also heard about the study that has been done where they found that Weight Watchers is the most effective and that any other diet really wasn't successful. First, I have to say what I forgot to in my last post. I agree with Malexander 100% that exercise is the key. I have never lost that much weight or kept any weight loss off without exercise. I know what exercises are good for me and I work really hard when I work out. My metabolism is terrible and that is the biggest way for me to bring it up. I'm not offended in any way Tenaheff about anything you said. We are obviously interested in the same topic (Word of Wisdom thread as well).

Most people that join a weight loss center or begin a diet do so because they want to lose weight. If a person loses weight on that diet then the diet was successful, weight was lost. Maintaining weight loss can be about the diet plan, but it can also be due to their commitment to stick to their maintenance plan or not following it correctly. But I don't feel that if a person doesn't maintain their weight loss that it automatically means that the diet was unsuccessful. Most could probably start the diet over again, with the same effort and commitment to lose the weight, and be successful again. The problem is, and I know firsthand, is that after ALL that work and sweat, mental strength, emotional strength, and especially the HOPE needed to keep you going, most do not have the energy, self confidence, or the same drive to go through that all over again. I think a common thought is," Why should I kill myself to lose this weight yet again when I haven't been able to keep it off? I have no evidence that says that I could keep it off this time, I'm not going through the heartbreak of failing all over again." For me, it has been heartbreaking, even if it is my own fault that I gained the weight back. Most people have to wait until enough time has past that they are able to get up the courage and hope to go through it all over again.

I have counted calories many times before and have gone to bed very hungry many, many times. It worked ok as far as weight loss, but the second I began to eat even slightly close to the number of calories that were appropriate for me, I began to gain weight immediately and quickly. Those calorie restricted diets do not work for me. I know how to put my all into it and to stick with it for a long time, put it is never lasting at all. At least with the Atkin's diet I kept the weight off for 2 years. After you lose the weight on the Atkin's diet there is a more liberal carbohydrate plan that you stay on the rest of your life. If I had kept eating the way I had been (and exercising), I would have probably still retained that weight loss today. The fact is, I went off the maintenance plan and ate everything in sight and that's why the Atkin's diet wasn't permanent for me (I started eating poorly for emotional reasons), not because the diet wasn't successful. In saying that, I strongly agree with Dr. Phil's theory that we must find out the reason we are overweight and why we eat and deal with those issues if we expect to keep the weight off.

I don't think that I agree with what that study concluded that most diets aren't effective. I think many diets can be effective with the commitment to stay on them and to exercise. Where most people fail is to stay on the diet or after the weight loss not to gain it back by skipping exercise and eating too much of the wrong kinds of food again. I think people should find a diet that appeals to them and, through trial and error, works for them. The hardest part of any diet is the end, maintaining. Also, people sometimes need to search more to find the diet that will work with their specific body chemistry or other health issues. That is also a big reason why I like the Atkins diet. My endochronologist recommended the diet for my specific needs, that it would work well with my glucose and insulin issues as well as being good hormonal wise. You know what they say, consult with your doctor before starting any weight loss program. smile.gif

One more thing is that I agree with Gaucho and a lot of people do need to eat enough to keep their metabolism going; there's also been a lot of research on that. Although the studies with Weight Watchers cannot be changed, information on weight loss and people's diet is always changing. They could possibly do another study with Weight Watcher's, the study being the same or some other aspect of dieting, and come up with conflicting results. I just know what works for me and my body, and Weight Watcher's just isn't for me personally. I was also wondering if maybe counting calories is also not effective since you, too, have gained weight back? (also no offense meant here.) Maybe the same points you would make about the way your diet is effective would also apply to how my diet is effective.

7th Jan, 2005 - 11:28pm / Post ID: #

The Best Diet Health & Special Psychology

I was also wondering if maybe counting calories is also not effective since you, too, have gained weight back? (also no offense meant here.) Maybe the same points you would make about the way your diet is effective would also apply to how my diet is effective.

I gained the weight back when it was Weight Watchers. So far I haven't gained the weight back with my diet power, just counting calories and exercise diet. However, I think it is too soon to say I have been successful in keeping the weight off. It has only been a few months since I lost the weight.

I notice you indicate a glucose and insulin issues. I know that insulin resistance makes it very difficult to lose weight. Unfortunately, we can't all be as slender as the tv models make us think we should be. As long as we are doing our best to remain healthy, I think that is enough. However, it must be difficult to keep trying if a medical condition makes it near impossible to be successful.

7th Jan, 2005 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Diet The

I don't know, I think its a matter of metabolism. I'm not quiet sure if the method of counting calories really work. Before having my son I was weighing 110lbs, I had this weigh since I was like 15 until I was 24. After having my son, my body changed obviously and I'm weighing almost 120lbs. I am 10 pounds more than I used to but obviously nobody notices because I still being very small....I am a big eater (you can ask JB) I eat a lot and I do not exercise really (I'm so lazy nowdays with exercising) but my metabolism seems to be very fast, my sister is the same case, so I guess its a matter of metabolism and genes.

Post Date: 8th Jan, 2005 - 12:05am / Post ID: #

The Best Diet
A Friend

Diet The

What a huge blessing LDS. smile.gif I hope you appreciate that. I know so many people would give up a lot to have a well functioning metabolism. I must say, and please do not be offended, that I have a little bit of a hard time empathizing with your weight issue, but I know 10 pounds is 10 pounds, no matter whose body frame it goes onto. That is not the easiest thing to deal with. Our bodies are such an amazing thing. When you go through things, either physical or mental, it can have a temporary or permanent effect. There is so much that makes up our bodies' chemistry and function- our blood, hormones, pituitary glad, processing sugars, metabolism, nerves, sweat glands, and I'm sure many more that I don't know about. So especially after a pregnancy, with every way it effects your body, I'm not too surprised at the extra 10 and the difficulty in getting that off.

Tenaheff, congratulations on your weight loss! I haven't met that many people that know what insulin resistance is. I am so impressed! laugh.gif Thank you for your empathy for my situation. It is difficult, but I am really happy with who I am, including my body, and until this past year I couldn't say that. It's not that I have surrendered myself that I will always be like this, but I have learned to accept myself for who I am right now, and trying to make myself better with each day that comes. I do know that it is time for me to try again and I really appreciated your post reminding me that I need to do all that I can. I joined a gym Monday, but I haven't been yet. I am planning to go tomorrow. When my husband starts getting paid (he just started his new job Tuesday) I will buy the food I need to get started. smile.gif

8th Jan, 2005 - 12:40am / Post ID: #

The Best Diet

I must say, and please do not be offended, that I have a little bit of a hard time empathizing with your weight issue, but I know 10 pounds is 10 pounds, no matter whose body frame it goes onto

laugh.gif...well...my comment was more about how fast my metabolism is and not because I think I have a weight issue, because I don't... so I understand having a hard time empathizing with a person who is just 10 pounds heavier. I would like to be a little thinner, maybe 5 pounds less but definetly is not something that keeps me awake at night.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Jan, 2005 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

The Best Diet
A Friend

The Diet - Page 2

Sorry I misunderstood you. That happens easily on here (at least for me) smile.gif
I'm glad that 5 pounds don't keep you awake at night. laugh.gif

Offtopic but,
By the way, I just figured out today that you and JB are married. Some of the posts I've read make a lot more sense to me now. laugh.gif

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 8th Jan, 2005 - 1:16am

8th Jan, 2005 - 7:16pm / Post ID: #

The Diet Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

But I don't feel that if a person doesn't maintain their weight loss that it automatically means that the diet was unsuccessful. Most could probably start the diet over again, with the same effort and commitment to lose the weight, and be successful again.

When I was smaller I didn't understand why you need to wash your clothes and keep things clean. They will eventually get dirty again. Silly me - of course it is worth the while when they are clean, just like losing weight will be worth it. However, I think it will be harder to lose weight as more time passes. For one thing, unvulateing weight hurts your metabolism. And also, as you said, it is harder mentally to keep doing the same thing over and over again.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: The Best Diet

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,