Arvhic Introduction - Page 6 of 11

Thanks for the great advice guys. Nighthawk - Page 6 - Introductions, Member Sharing - Posted: 15th Apr, 2006 - 1:32am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 11 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (11) »
Australian living in the UK / Political Discussion / Member of the Year 2006
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2006 - 11:30am / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 38,030
Flag Posts: 51,687
Avg: 6.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 4,588.73 FP
Charm: 394

Arvhic Introduction - Page 6

Arvhic you seem to be slipping a lot, what is the matter? You keep starting Topics that are already in existence. Please conduct a Search FIRST before starting new Topics. Honestly, you will find most Topics already exist. For example, we already have a review on: The Office.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Hard Work | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Signature: Donate Please Support Our Efforts!
Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2006 - 11:48am / Post ID: #

Member Senior
[?] CPosts: 824
Flag Posts: 856
Avg: 0.1 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 3.2%
[+] Gain: 200.00 FP
Charm: 51

Introduction Arvhic

I am doing a search every time but it never shows up with what I search for. I typed in "the office" in the search field and there was no result where the office was reviewed.

Sorry Malexander, that was a lame attempt at humour.

Reconcile Edited: arvhic on 14th Apr, 2006 - 11:48am

Contribution: | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Humanitarian
Tenet: Agnostic | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Not Given | Joined: Reg. 11th Mar, 2005 - 2:45pm
Signature:
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2006 - 11:56am / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

Arvhic Introduction Sharing Member & Introductions

Arvhic, have you looked over our FAQ Board about Searching? Keep in mind that when you Search using the general Search Box to the top of every page then it looks everywhere. The results shown maybe pages long. The answer may be on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th page, etc. Top help prevent this consider the following: You are going to post about a Movie, so go to the Movie Board, scroll down and then you will see a Search box geared specifically for that Board. Enter in the Search Box with quotes: "The Office" and then wham - you will find what you are looking for. Test it, the thing works.

On another note, it is good to see you getting into other parts of the Community.

Blog Read My Blog
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2006 - 12:03pm / Post ID: #

Member Senior

Page 6 Introduction Arvhic

Cheers mate, I will definitely keep that in mind, I wasn't aware searching was that easy. But I honestly do search before I start topics.

I enjoy visiting other parts of the community. I'm not just a boring ol' scribe! But unfortunately for me time is of the essence so if I am short of time I might not surf around as much as I would like to.

Hey I just realised I have been with this community for just over a year! It's been really enjoyable and kind of addictive!

Reconcile Edited: arvhic on 14th Apr, 2006 - 12:04pm

Tenet: Agnostic | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Not Given | Joined: Reg. 11th Mar, 2005 - 2:45pm
Signature:
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2006 - 12:21pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

Introduction Arvhic

I am glad you are enjoying it here. Please venture over to the Feedback Board and let us know what you think, you may also find some interesting things about the Community that you did not know existed.

Blog Read My Blog
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2006 - 2:06pm / Post ID: #

Me
Diamond + Author
[?] CPosts: 3,526
Flag Posts: 4,033
Avg: 0.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 13.9%
Charm: 226

Arvhic Introduction

A couple of other things you might want to consider about searching:
1. Make sure that you are aware of the limits you are putting on your search. For example, are you only looking for topics that have been active in the last 30 days (the default), or are you searching the whole database.

2. Broaden your search: Just use the word "office". It is entirely possible that "the office" might not find what you are looking for.

3. Narrow your search: Choose to search for the word ONLY in the topic titles. In this case, since it is about a TV show, it makes sense that the word "office" will be in the title. This particular word is probably in 10% of the posts (in the message bodies) within the whole forum.

4. If you find that the search returns pages and pages of results, so that you can't figure out whether your request is actually there or not, then choose the option to only SHOW the topics, rather than the messages.

That is probably enough for now. There are a lot of other ways to get more out of the forum search engine, but these should give you some good ideas.

Now, about that curry....

I would LOVE to learn how to make Thai or Indonesian curry! I am slowly learning how to make a decent Pav Bhaji or Channa Masalla, but haven't been hugely successful yet. I really like going to Thai restaurants nearby, but my wife is not thrilled about it. So, if I can learn how to make it at home, I can really enjoy it at my own pace!

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 14th Apr, 2006 - 2:07pm

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: LDS (Mormon) | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Sixty Something | Joined: Reg. 24th Aug, 2003 - 12:23pm
Signature:
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2006 - 2:47pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

Arvhic Introduction - Page 6

Nighthawk, the Search system here works similar to Google. If you put in quotes "The Office" within the field then you will find Threads with that exact phrase as opposed to finding all Threads with the words 'the' and 'office' (when you leave out the quotes) which will show many Threads. Even just the word 'office' will produce many Threads. "The Office" however can only find one Thread because the script is looking for that exact phrase rather than the words themselves. Basically if you use the search box at the top of every page there is no need to make all those advanced selections.

Arvhic, thanks for starting with Feedback, keep it up.

Blog Read My Blog
Post Date: 15th Apr, 2006 - 1:32am / Post ID: #

Member Senior

Arvhic Introduction Introductions & Member Sharing - Page 6

Thanks for the great advice guys. Nighthawk I will get some of those recipes up for you asap. I created a new dish the other night that is a fusion of Morrocan and Thai.

Signature:

> TOPIC: Arvhic Introduction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,