Katrina - Page 3 of 11

QUOTE First of all, it wasn't the - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 7th Sep, 2005 - 7:25am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (11) »
Lasting Effects? There is a Thread in the Heinous Crimes section which talks about what happened from a RAW angle. You need to be an Upgraded Member with mature status to read the behind the scenes Discussion: The Horrors of Katrina
Katrina Related Information to Katrina
  • Pet Survival - Katrina as an example
  • When Odds Are Against You - Survival in depressing times
  • Katrina Car Sale - Beware!
  • The Horror of Katrina - Through the eyes of tourists (requires Mature access)
  • Unusual Crime - A perspective of law
  • Post Date: 4th Sep, 2005 - 8:20pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Katrina - Page 3

KIWI HURRICANE SURVIVOR ENDURES DAYS OF TERROR, ABUSE

A young Leeston man trapped in a New Orleans hotel room for five days terrified by the armed looters outside and abused by fellow hurricane victims inside is now on his way home.
    Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/hlc/1,,93498~3399774a10~,00.html

Sponsored Links:
    5th Sep, 2005 - 1:06pm / Post ID: #

Katrina

Those of you who like to talk about end time prophecies will find this very familiar, but please do not start religious based discussion here:

Residents Guard Neighborhoods From Looters

AP - When night falls, Charlie Hackett climbs the steps to his boarded-up window, takes down the plywood, grabs his 12-gauge shotgun and waits. He is waiting for looters and troublemakers, for anyone thinking his neighborhood has been abandoned like so many others across the city. Two doors down, John Carolan is doing the same on his screened-in porch, pistol by his side. They are not about to give up their homes to the lawlessness that has engulfed New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
    Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...heir_ground_hk4

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3209 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

5th Sep, 2005 - 1:16pm / Post ID: #

Katrina History & Civil Business Politics

Good thing these guys hadn't been disarmed already.

This is just an example of what has to happen whenever anarchy reigns. People must band together for protection of their lives, families, and property. The aftermath of Katrina is a great example of this idea.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

6th Sep, 2005 - 9:37am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Katrina

I can not believe how tragically this whole event has unfolded. The devastation caused by the hurricane is one thing, but then to have an inadequate response and see thousands of poor people dying is heartbreaking.

I am extremely surprised that this could actually happen in the US, I thought the authorities might have prepared a little bit better than this given how vulnerable New Orleans is.

I don't think it is fair or proper to throw all the blame at Bush, but questions have to be asked about the levee system, and whether it is adequate, and the response which clearly wasn't. I heard on a radio report this system was in desperate need of repairs before the storm and federal money had been diverted to fund the recent war.

I also heard that FESA authorities completely forgot about the stranded refuges in the Convention centre for days after they told them to seek refuge there. How on earth can you forget?

One thing that has been terrible, and I think disgracefully pounced on by the media, is the extent of looting. If people need to break into someone's destroyed home or shop to find food to survive do they deserve to be shot? Shouldn't the main priority be to save lives, not destroy them? I understand that people acting violently towards others should not be tolerated but it seems that more effort was spent on keeping law and order than evacuating. I certainly hope that isn't the case.

I heard this heartbreaking radio report where a national guardsmen wouldn't help a refugee dying from an asthma attack because "he was there to keep law and order". There are so many terrible stories, I really feel for those poor people caught up in this.

I sincerely hope they can re-build New Orleans and not too many people will be displaced as a result of this horrible hurricane.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Post Date: 6th Sep, 2005 - 11:59am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Katrina

Hurricane exposes issues of class, race

USATODAY.com - Although TV correspondents covering Hurricane Katrina avoid commenting on the obvious, their cameras hold back nothing. The people who couldn't or wouldn't leave New Orleans are overwhelmingly poor and black. As are the looters.
    Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...suesofclassrace

7th Sep, 2005 - 2:12am / Post ID: #

Katrina

arvhic: questions have to be asked about the levee system, and whether it is adequate, and the response which clearly wasn't.

First of all, it wasn't the levees that failed, but a couple of canal walls, or sea walls, that are only 2 feet thick and rated for a level 3 hurricane. These were built decades ago, and have needed upgrading for years. An engineer who oversees the levees and canalways in New Orleans was interviewed this weekend, and was asked why there hasn't been anything done to upgrade the system for so long. His answer was, essentially, "No money." I believe this was on "60 Minutes" on Sunday evening. I'll check it out and post a link in a bit.

I heard on a radio report this system was in desperate need of repairs before the storm and federal money had been diverted to fund the recent war.

Secondly, these levees have needed repairs for many, many years. Clinton was advised of the threat to New Orleans during his presidency and also did nothing. This has absolutely nothing to do with funding the current war. That radio report makes it sound as if the president was just discussing upgrading the levee system, like, last week, and decided not to do it because of the war. That's ridiculous. Even if it had been discussed that recently, the repairs and upgrades that need to be done will take decades to perform -- not just a matter of months or a couple of years.

This is a common theme with government in general, which is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

One thing that has been terrible, and I think disgracefully pounced on by the media, is the extent of looting. If people need to break into someone's destroyed home or shop to find food to survive do they deserve to be shot?
    Did you actually watch any of the footage of these people looting? They weren't taking food; they were stealing TVs and DVD players, prescription medications, jewelry, and other high-end, inedible items. The police and other authorities were NOT shooting at people who were looting, they were shooting at criminals who were beating and raping and killling survivors of the flood, criminals who were shooting at Med-evac helicopters, paramedics, and other emergency response and rescue personnel. What kind of soul-less person shoots at hospital personnel in the middle of a flood?
    Offtopic but,
    I think your radio station needs to check their facts before reporting them.

Update: Here is the link to the 60 Minutes story from Sunday evening, and the snippet from the engineer (midway down page 2):

We learned something that surprised us here. Despite what you"ve been hearing, not one of New Orleans" levees failed. All of the massive earthen levees survived. The failure was in flood walls like this one on the 17th Street canal. The flood walls are miles long, but only two feet thick.

Al Naomi is the man who manages them for the Army Corps of Engineers. He was probably the first to understand what was about to happen to New Orleans.

"Flood walls are unforgiving. They"re either there or they"re not," Naomi says.

The walls were designed in 1965 to withstand a Category 3 storm. Category 4 Katrina pushed her surge over the top.

"It just was overtopped and the water started pouring over the support for the flood wall, failed and it just pushed out and toppled over and that was it," Naomi explains.

Naomi was at a loss when asked how this engineering disaster could have been prevented.

"You see there was not sufficient money or time to do anything about this," Naomi says. "If someone had said, 'O.K. here is a billion dollars, stop this failure from happening for a Category 4,' it couldn't have been done in time. I"d of [sic] had to start 20 years ago to where I feel today I would"ve been safe from a Category 4 storm like Katrina.

"Sure it should have been done 20 years ago but what can we do about that? You have to recognize before we had Category 3 protection we didn't have anything."
    https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/05/...179_page2.shtml

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 7th Sep, 2005 - 2:25am

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
    7th Sep, 2005 - 3:54am / Post ID: #

Katrina - Page 3

Visual Katrina

Here is one guy's interpretation of everything using video. Have a look:

https://www.auraka.org/katrina.php

Also check the Washington posts for pictures of each stage of the tragedy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...s.htm?startat=1

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3209 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

7th Sep, 2005 - 7:25am / Post ID: #

Katrina Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

First of all, it wasn't the levees that failed, but a couple of canal walls, or sea walls, that are only 2 feet thick and rated for a level 3 hurricane. These were built decades ago, and have needed upgrading for years.

This would indicate a failure of the system. Whether it is the actual levees or walls that gave way, the bottom line is it needed repairing.

This has absolutely nothing to do with funding the current war.

Funding diversion for the military has increased significantly because of the recent wars. It's happened in every country that took part including my own, Australia. This has nothing to do with the current administration, Clinton was waging an ongoing war on Iraq while he was in power, no doubt diverting funds as well.

The federal Government has to work out exactly how much it wants to spend on infrastructure, health, military etc. I'm not at all suggesting that the Bush Government would have spent extra money to fix New Orleans if Iraq never happened, because I am sure there are many other infrastructure problems that need addressing. But what needs to be asked is whether taxes are best invested in war or fixing your own backyard.

That radio report makes it sound as if the president was just discussing upgrading the levee system, like, last week, and decided not to do it because of the war.

The report said this had been known for years, as you suggested.

Did you actually watch any of the footage of these people looting? They weren't taking food; they were stealing TVs and DVD players, prescription medications, jewelry, and other high-end, inedible items.

I did see plenty of footage and heard a lot of eyewitness accounts. Sure they should punish those who are violent, intimidating and commit horrific crimes like rape. But if they are stealing prescription drugs then what is the problem? Maybe they have no access to prescription drugs. If they are stealing other material possessions then they are clearly desperate and not worth wasting resources on which could be better spent helping people.

I think your radio station needs to check their facts before reporting them.

My radio station is interviewing American experts and people who are actually there. Who else are they going to talk to? And it is far more reputable when it comes to fact checking than any of the mainstream US media outlets I am aware of.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (11) »

> TOPIC: Katrina

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
    Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
    This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,