Katrina - Page 8 of 11

I saw a rather disturbing report on SBS show - Page 8 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 18th Feb, 2006 - 4:31am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 11 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Lasting Effects? There is a Thread in the Heinous Crimes section which talks about what happened from a RAW angle. You need to be an Upgraded Member with mature status to read the behind the scenes Discussion: The Horrors of Katrina
Katrina Related Information to Katrina
  • Pet Survival - Katrina as an example
  • When Odds Are Against You - Survival in depressing times
  • Katrina Car Sale - Beware!
  • The Horror of Katrina - Through the eyes of tourists (requires Mature access)
  • Unusual Crime - A perspective of law
  • 4th Nov, 2005 - 5:20am / Post ID: #

Katrina - Page 8

CNN Headline News has recently reported that Brown, a high level official of New Orleans was told the day after by FEMA of the critical nature of the Katrina storm's after effects and he spent more time worrying about his clothes and looking for a dog sitter. Did anyone see this?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
    6th Nov, 2005 - 4:57am / Post ID: #

Katrina

Yes, I read about it. Certain emails he sent to some people seemed rather nonchalant about the disaster, and he wondered whether or not he should wear a tie... whatever. We already know that he was not suited to the job, and that he's been removed from the position, so I personally feel like this is old news, as well as being irrelevant.

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 14th Nov, 2005 - 4:16pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Katrina History & Civil Business Politics

FORMER NEW ORLEANS OFFICER ARRESTED IN HOUSTON

A former New Orleans police officer who resigned after being accused of abandoning his post during the Hurricane Katrina crisis was arrested while driving a stolen truck, authorities said.
    Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/13/formerof...t.ap/index.html

Post Date: 30th Nov, 2005 - 12:13pm / Post ID: #

Page 8 Katrina

NEW ORLEANS MAYOR GETS AN EARFUL

Frustrated New Orleans residents appeared before Mayor Ray Nagin Tuesday with complaints about the response to Hurricane Katrina, with two speakers asking why a nation fighting to stabilize Iraq can't resolve a crisis at home.
    Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/29/neworlean...hall/index.html

Post Date: 16th Dec, 2005 - 11:34am / Post ID: #

Katrina

LEVEE PLAN PROMPTS CALL TO 'COME HOME'

In an effort to ensure the levee breaches that put much of New Orleans, Louisiana, underwater after Hurricane Katrina don't happen again, the Bush administration announced Thursday it will spend $3.1 billion to repair the system and make it "stronger than it ever has been."
    Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/15/bus...vees/index.html

TOURIST ATTRACTION FOCUSES ON KATRINA DESTRUCTION

For $35 per person -- $28 for children -- a New Orleans company is offering bus tours of some of the city's most misery-stricken spots, including the Superdome, the Convention Center and neighborhoods ravaged by Hurricane Katrina.
    Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/15/katrina.t...p.ap/index.html

8th Feb, 2006 - 8:23pm / Post ID: #

Katrina

Well it seems like the 'holiday' is over and maybe a new crisis will begin because once people have no where to live, no work or support then they turn to crime to survive. I hope this is not the case in this long lasting saga:

Hauling everything he owned in a plastic garbage bag, Darryl Travis walked out of the chandeliered lobby of the Crowne Plaza, joining the exodus of Hurricane Katrina refugees evicted from their hotel rooms across the country Tuesday.
    Ref. https://www.usatoday.com/travel/hotels/2006...na-hotels_x.htm

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
    9th Feb, 2006 - 3:45am / Post ID: #

Katrina - Page 8

I think it's interesting that they use Mr. Travis as an example of someone being affected by FEMA's actions, when he wasn't even registered with FEMA as an "evacuee." He was living on the floor of someone else's room. At the Crown Plaza, no less. He's an able-bodied young man, from the picture. What's keeping him from finding his own place to live?

FEMA said it gave people every possible opportunity to request an extension.

"We've bent over backward to reach out. We've gone door-to-door to all of the 25,000 hotel rooms no fewer than six times. And there are individuals who have refused to come to the door, refused to answer. There are people who have run when they saw us coming - those are the ones that are now moving on," Kinerney said. ...

... Travis, 24, and his five childhood friends - all in their 20s - had been living on the floor of another evacuee's hotel room, never having registered. ...

... In Houston, where 4,000 evacuees were staying in hotels, around 80% had received permission to extend their stays until at least next Monday. The remaining 20% either failed to contact FEMA or made other housing arrangements, said Frank Michel, a spokesman for Mayor Bill White.

"People need to begin to take responsibility for themselves," Michel said.

I do feel bad for some of the others who were waiting for a trailer promised from FEMA and have had to wait and wait and wait, and now face eviction. However, I have to wonder what's holding them up from finding their own housing? Special circumstances I can understand; waiting for a free handout is something else entirely.

Message Edited!
    Persephone: fixed closing quote tag

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

18th Feb, 2006 - 4:31am / Post ID: #

Katrina Politics Business Civil & History - Page 8

I saw a rather disturbing report on SBS show Dateline about the aftermath of Katrina.

It said that a poor African American area was being ignored and houses demolished. It also reveals that residents were being shot at when trying to re-build their homes.

Trailers and power were only being given to the rich. And most disturbingly, African Americans were being shot at when trying to flee the flood waters to rich areas.

Here are some snippets of that report.

Dateline report on Hurricane Katrina

Before Katrina the city's Lower 9th Ward district was home to 14,000 families, most of them poor and black. Unlike New Orleans' wealthier suburbs, here there's still no power, no water and no rebuilding, five months after Katrina. In fact, the residents of the Lower 9th Ward are struggling for what they see as the very survival of their suburb.

Not only have residents been banned from returning, the City Council has proposed a system of compulsory acquisition for homes they want to demolish. Under the law of Eminent Domain, the Council says it has the right to buy homes and land without the owners' consent.

Suspecting a conspiracy to keep them away for good, residents took their fight to the courts.

CYNTHIA WILLARD-LEWIS: We can go to the courts as a refuge and a haven to seek justice that in this battle for restoration it is not left to the executive branch of government that has kept electricity out, water out, blue roofs out, FEMA trailers out, Red Cross out, everything out...

Residents have been shot at:

BYRON LE FRANCE, LOWER 9TH WARD RESIDENT: Well, my daddy was right here with me. We was right here in my yard. A lady National Guard and a man National Guard came over here harassing me, pulled a gun, pulled a AK47 rifle out and turned it at me to shoot me. I'm not bullshitting you. I grabbed a gun that I had, my wife went and grabbed a gun that we had in the house but by the time that happened my Daddy said, "Don't start nothing, go get their superiors."

With no essential services to the suburb and the threat that if they're found by police in their homes after the night-time curfew they'll be shot, residents like Byron have to leave for temporary shelter outside the city every night.

What particularly galls these residents is that most of them own their homes. In fact, the Lower 9th Ward district of New Orleans has the highest proportion of black home-ownership in America.

Trailers for the rich:

In some of the city's wealthier suburbs residents already use trailers provided by the Federal Emergency Agency, FEMA, as temporary shelter while their homes are repaired. In fact, throughout the city thousands of empty trailers are being stored on vacant lots, but in the Lower 9th Ward not a single trailer has been handed over. Residents now fear that with no permanent population the law of Eminent Domain will be used to get rid of them.

Power for the rich:

As the head of St Bernard's local church, Pastor Bruce Davenport has returned to help the few dozen needy people who've returned to the only shelter they know. But with no power or water, life here is very different from the predominantly wealthy white suburbs less than a few kilometres away.

PASTOR BRUCE DAVENPORT: You take the French Quarter and I bet you, I guarantee you that they have hot water, they have food, they have lights, they got all of the luxury. Just look around you and see how much luxury we have.

REPORTER: So do you think that they're trying to cut down the black population in New Orleans?

PASTOR BRUCE DAVENPORT: They will cut it down. They ain't trying to cut it down, they will cut it down, they will cut it down, because they figure if they cut it down then the city will be that much better, that's what they figure.

Shooting at black residents trying to flee the flood:

He took me to the bridge where black residents were prevented from crossing into white neighbourhoods when fleeing the rising floodwaters.

MALIK RAHIM: You couldn't cross that street if you was African-American.

REPORTER: This street right here?

MALIK RAHIM: Right here. You couldn't cross that street if you was African-American. They had police cars across both of those streets, going either way. They had police cars sitting there and if you went across that street, or if you tried to, they would literally shoot in the air at you.

Reconcile Edited: arvhic on 18th Feb, 2006 - 4:32am

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

+  « First of 11 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

> TOPIC: Katrina

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
    Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
    This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,