Katrina - Page 10 of 11

Prosecutors Drop Murder Charges Against Two - Page 10 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 6th Jul, 2007 - 11:00am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 11 pgs.  6 7 8 9 10 11 
Lasting Effects? There is a Thread in the Heinous Crimes section which talks about what happened from a RAW angle. You need to be an Upgraded Member with mature status to read the behind the scenes Discussion: The Horrors of Katrina
Katrina Related Information to Katrina
  • Pet Survival - Katrina as an example
  • When Odds Are Against You - Survival in depressing times
  • Katrina Car Sale - Beware!
  • The Horror of Katrina - Through the eyes of tourists (requires Mature access)
  • Unusual Crime - A perspective of law
  • 6th Dec, 2006 - 11:51am / Post ID: #

Katrina - Page 10

Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D), asked the Congress for
    $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans. Interesting
    number: what does it mean?

a. Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every
    man, woman, child), you each get $516,528.

b. Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans, your
    home gets $1,329,787.

c. Or, if you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington, D.C. ... Hello! . Are all your calculators broken?

This is a rather bizarre way of looking at how much money should be spent to rebuild a city. Does this commentator honestly believe that each person in New Orleans is having $516,528 spent on them? Most of the reconstruction money will actually be spent on vital infrastructure which is government owned and managed. Commercial infrastructure, I would imagine, will be largely covered by a combination of insurance and public purse. I would suggest that a large proportion of the New Orleans population is perhaps too poor to have substantial insurance policies, and will be unable to rebuild to the level before this disaster.

Rather off topic, but...
    By using the abovementioned logic, let's make a few more interesting assessments:

Bush has called for $462.7 billion to be spent on the US military in 2007. There are approximately 1.4 million members (including active and non-active) of the US armed forces. So this equates to about $330,500 for each member of the military.

Reconcile Message Edited...
    Farseer: I tagged your offtopic comments for you. smile.gif

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 7th Dec, 2006 - 3:14am

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Sponsored Links:
    7th Dec, 2006 - 5:07am / Post ID: #

Katrina

It's true, probably the majority of the funds will be at least earmarked for infrastructure (hopefully most notably to the levee system). I'm not foolish enough to assume that *any* of that money would actually fall into the hands of Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public. However, rather than being "bizarre," as you put it, that is the way that economists and government watch dog groups calculate the national debt - they assign a value to every man, woman, and child according to the current figure for the day (something like $35,000 currently) -- which is all that this commentator is doing with the rebuilding budget for the city of New Orleans.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

7th Dec, 2006 - 10:23am / Post ID: #

Katrina History & Civil Business Politics

I see what you are saying Farseer. But I don't think there is always merit to apply per capita statistics on everything.

In the case of national debt, it shows a rough estimation of how much debt the US has for the size of the country. Although this really means it shows how much money the US owes per capita, which can't be confused for personal debt.

With respect to Katrina, I would assume most of the money will go towards rebuilding infrastructure. This is often public assets which can be used by residents of New Orleans and every other visitor to the city as they please.

It sounds like a lot of money and it is. But I guess rebuilding a city the size of New Orleans is a massive operation. I actually wonder, now that this disaster has happened, how they will re-build New Orleans to be resilient of hurricanes. It seems to be a very vulnerable area to populate a million people.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

7th Dec, 2006 - 1:01pm / Post ID: #

Page 10 Katrina

QUOTE (FarSeer @ 7-Dec 06, 1:07 AM)
    that is the way that economists and government watch dog groups calculate the national debt - they assign a value to every man, woman, and child according to the current figure for the day (something like $35,000 currently) -- which is all that this commentator is doing with the rebuilding budget for the city of New Orleans.

If they are doing the same on this case, I almost sure most of that money is going to fall on different people and not necessarily those who *are* in need.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

8th Dec, 2006 - 2:56am / Post ID: #

Katrina

Arvhic said: I actually wonder, now that this disaster has happened, how they will re-build New Orleans to be resilient of hurricanes. It seems to be a very vulnerable area to populate a million people.
    Personally, I don't see how they can rebuild New Orleans to withstand any sort of natural disaster. When the Earth and the Weather decide to rage, we humans have very little to say about it, no matter how strong we think we've built our cities. It's interesting to note that we didn't have nearly the devastating effects from the weather this year that was predicted.

In addition, New Orleans is actually below sea level, I believe, and sinking lower over time. Keeping this city viable is a modern engineering feat.

Rather off topic, but...
    QUOTE (arvhic)
    But I don't think there is always merit to apply per capita statistics on everything.

But you used it when it was convenient for you to point out Bush's military spending per capita in the US.

Exactly my point.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

13th Jun, 2007 - 6:06am / Post ID: #

Katrina

Yes, we must rebuild New Orleans and return it back to its previous splendor. You know...since we are getting 14.7 BILLION dollars to right this place...let's make a monument to celebrate our government's ineptitude! COOL...spend 3.5 million on it and make it as big as the Arch de Triomphe in France to make sure we all realize what a colossal failure this was...

https://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/25/...na-Memorial.php

Perhaps we should just already name it the Arch de Mike Brown.

JUST maybe they should be working on getting the infrastructure fixed and businesses attracted to the area again before we look to make it a historical honor site. Otherwise, shouldn't we remember everything about Katrina? Perhaps they could take the money and make a mock WalMart that everyone could walk into and loot...just like we did during Katrina! Or perhaps they could just buy everyone a flat screened TV that lives in the area. Those are some of the things that really stick in my mind during the event...

I am pretty sure that none of these need to be done, except for rebuilding the infrastructure and as quickly as possible. If this ridiculousness is causing 1 day delay in getting the money out where it needs to go, then these politicians should be fired by their electorate and with the money that save from getting rid of them, the people can build a monument. Perhaps a giant pit in the ground that you cant see the bottom of and call it...Ode de Government Ca Ca.

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 13th Jun, 2007 - 6:36am

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
    16th Jun, 2007 - 3:46am / Post ID: #

Katrina - Page 10

This quote from the proponents:

"The scale of the project will transform the selected section of town and will reinforce the notion of New Orleans as the most European of American cities and as the leading city of the Caribbean," the UNOP planning team says in its proposal....

....Mary Beth Romig, spokeswoman for the New Orleans Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau, said if a memorial can serve as a public reminder of the resilience of the city and its residents, "then it can only be good."

It is not at all clear whether the memorial will ever get built. No money has been secured for the project. The costs of upkeep were estimated at $70,000 (€52,000) a year.

This from the City Council:
    would rather see money, private or otherwise, spent on rebuilding neighborhoods and bringing residents home.

City Council president Oliver Thomas said the best thing officials can do to honor the storm's victims is to bring New Orleans back, with "better schools, better streets, safer streets and lower utility bills."

"If we do that," he said, "it will be the greatest Katrina memorial we could have."

That sounds better.

Post Date: 6th Jul, 2007 - 11:00am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Katrina Politics Business Civil & History - Page 10

Prosecutors Drop Murder Charges Against Two Hurricane Katrina Nurses

New Orleans, LA (LifeNews.com) -- Two nurses accused of euthanizing patients in the wake of Hurricane Katrina have seen the charges against them dropped by the district attorney in the case. Nurses Lori Budo and Cheri Landry were arrested along with physician Anna Pou on charges that they killed four patients. All three worked at New Orleans' Memorial Medical Center at the time of the hurricane. The three were accused of killing as many as nine patients so they could relinquish their responsibility for patients and flee the hospital as conditions there deteriorated. John DiGiulio, Landry's attorney, said he was pleased the charges were dropped and told the Associated Press, "We thought this was how it would end." "We're cautiously optimistic that, when it's all over, no one will be charged -- including Dr. Pou," he added. Budo and Landry were required to testify before a grand jury last month under an agreement that made sure their testimony would not be used against them. Assistant District Attorney Michael Morales had indicated he would drop the charges against the nurses once they testified. Budo's charges were refused Friday and Landry's were refused in late June. They were charged with second-degree murder.
    Ref. https://www.lifenews.com/bio2175.html

+  « First of 11 pgs.  6 7 8 9 10 11 

> TOPIC: Katrina

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
    Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
    This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,