LDS Tithing Requirement - Page 4 of 6

Really all the offering sound very much like - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th Nov, 2008 - 3:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Mormons Paying Tithes - 10% Of Income - Is it Gross or Net? Before or after taxes?
18th Nov, 2008 - 8:07pm / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement - Page 4

Yes given you back ground I bet you do.

What do you mean by that?

Sponsored Links:
18th Nov, 2008 - 8:16pm / Post ID: #

Requirement Tithing LDS

I will answer that in this thread if you like.

tithing

We need to keep the topic in the correct spot no offense.

18th Nov, 2008 - 9:11pm / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement Studies Doctrine Mormon

Rather off topic, but...

No one receives a wage in the Church, Elders, Bishops, Stake Presidents, Missionaries.

I served a two year mission in Hungary at my families expense. The flight there was paid for, but room and board was the responsibility of me and my family. I am currently a Sunday School Teacher for 11 year olds and do so voluntarily. All clergy in the Church are unpaid and are called from the members of the Congregation. It is truly a lay clergy.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day saints asks a commitment from its members to serve, and to build up the Kingdom of God. All of the work that the Bishop (equivelant of a local priest) the Stake Presidency (Cardinal in the Catholic Church) teachers, humanitarian aid workers, Missionaries do etc. is unpaid and does take a significanta acount of free time to accomplish.

There are paid positions at BYU (The Church run University) and educational positions that require no ecclesiastical authority, as in in the Church office Building in Salt Lake City.

Apostles and Prophets travel and living expenses are paid for as the are witnesses of Christ throughout the world and must devote their full time to this endeavor. But these individuals left jobs to devote their entire life to serving the lord. Many of these of these men, were physicians, Lawyers, Businessmen who have no financial reason to leave these professions.

I believe them to be special witnesses for Christ as were the apostles and Prophets of Old.

Tithing should be used to build the Kingdom of God.

There are other donations that are used for humanitarian aid, that include fast offerings (take the cost of two meals in a day for a family and donate this to the Humanitarian efforts of the Church) with are usually paid once a month. There also places where donations can be made for Missionary work, Temple building, Education, etc.

18th Nov, 2008 - 9:53pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Requirement Tithing LDS

QUOTE (revival @ 18-Nov 08, 3:00 PM)
I find it hard to believe no one receieves absolutely nothing for their preaching.

If you ever attended an LDS meeting you would perhaps understand better. For one thing there is no "preacher" per se. There is a Bishop with his two counselors who preside over the meeting but do not necessarily preach at each one. The members will be asked to prepare a talk to give. There are usually two youth speakers and two adult speakers along with singing of hymns. All without monetary payment. As dbackers has mentioned there are no paid clergy within the church. It is all lay clergy, they all have jobs and other sources of income that are separate from their jobs in the church.

Paying tithing is a privilege. Tithing funds are always used for the Lord's purposes-to build and maintain temples and meetinghouses, to sustain missionary work, to educate Church members, and to carry on the work of the Lord throughout the world.

18th Nov, 2008 - 11:11pm / Post ID: #

Requirement Tithing LDS

Apostles and Prophets travel and living expenses

So there is a renumeration. "Living expenses" is a broad term and the account can be quite large if you consider all that goes into "living".

20th Nov, 2008 - 6:46am / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement

But not for local clergy - bishops, stake presidents, etc.; only those who dedicate all their time to the church, such as the Apostles and Prophets, and who may have given up careers to do so.

Tithing is also used for humanitarian efforts around the world -- disaster response, charitable giving, etc.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Nov, 2008 - 11:55am / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement - Page 4

Fast offerings are used to help those in need (welfare, etc) The Church also has an option in the tithing slip called "Humanitarian Aid" where we can donate towards helping those people in need around the world who had experienced earthquakes, etc. No tithing money is used for this purpose.

Tithing is used for the building of temples and meetinghouses, manuals, etc and the preaching of the Gospel around the world.

20th Nov, 2008 - 3:10pm / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

Really all the offering sound very much like what the pentecostal do just with different names and the big difference of unpaid clergy. That must place a great more amount of the offering directly into the needy. I wish other organized churches would follow suit. To me this is what God mandated.

Jesus gave all to the needed but did use enough to provide substance to remain alive in a humble manner. I assume when traveling the Apostles and Prophets would live the same way.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: LDS Tithing Requirement

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,