RPG Etiquette - Page 6 of 8

You are fine KNtoran and I am happy to say - Page 6 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 6th Oct, 2017 - 4:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

24th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Draconian
Draconian
Ranger
Ranger
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian
Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Wizard
Wizard
Paladin
Paladin
Warlock
Warlock

+  « First of 8 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Discuss  RPG Etiquette How hard is it to keep RPGs only about RPGs and not your personal interests or schedule. Do not be selfish by trying to hijack an RPG to make it about yourself. How inconsiderate it is to join a game only to simply leave without any kind of notice. How self-centered it is to whine and complain if a game isn't being played the way you want it to go. Everyone needs to ensure they read and re-read the RPG Etiquette Rules so they know how to handle their Post.
Post Date: 14th Jul, 2017 - 4:27pm / Post ID: #

RPG Etiquette
A Friend

RPG Etiquette - Page 6

Yes, I love the role play aspect of Dungeons & Dragons and not just the roll play aspect of it. I like my characters to be alive… at least in so far as the game is concerned. After a while, they take on personalities of their own.

Sponsored Links:
9th Sep, 2017 - 11:28pm / Post ID: #

Etiquette RPG

If you're in a role-playing game then you should role-play. Don't spoil it for everyone by constantly using common talk and slang that only works in modern life.

4th Oct, 2017 - 2:56pm / Post ID: #

RPG Etiquette Reviews RPG & Card Board

I was just looking at a Post that Support made and I have to ask… what is so difficult to understand or do with regards to keeping Role-playing Game related Threads about Role-playing Games only and not yourself, your schedule, your Birthday, your family pet, etc.?

I mean, I took the time to link to that, I put a warning on top of the place where you input your writing saying that your message will be deleted if it does not comply and yet… they still do it again and again and again. You even have the latest example where a Player admits to seeing it removed and instead of having a clue like hmm… maybe I should not add this off topic stuff again because it was removed what do they do - add it again anyway. I mean how downright disrespectful can you be.

We have been running games for years and years and we know from experience that if there is even a slight chance that you allow for off topic interests the Role-playing Game literally, and I mean literally becomes a narcissistic fest or a hijack to something not related to Role-playing Games. Then again, I read Posts where Players ask "Where is the map button?" the very same button that loads on every page of every Role-playing Game. I notice this kind of thing is especially true where Users come from social networks where anything goes. Is this the age of just do what I like anywhere I like regardless of the strain it puts on others?

I will like to list what all Members agreed to before joining:

international QUOTE (The Art Of Discussion)
international DiscussionsAs you participate please do remember what you agreed to upon Registering: At times Moderators may edit your Posts and / or inform you about what is Constructive and what is not. This is to both help you make valuable input and keep the Community Standards high. See: Rules & Policies. Our Rules and Policies are not designated for Debate. Thanks for your understanding.

All Dungeon Masters are under obligation to help us enforce these rules as they agreed:

international QUOTE (How to be a Dungeon Master)
As a GM / Dungeon Master the onus is on you to be an exemplar of our Constructive Posting Policy. The burden is also on you to make SURE your Players are also abiding by that same Policy especially if you invited them here. It is grossly unfair to both us and your invitees to not inform them of our enforced Policy. It causes undue frustration on both sides and a higher work load on our part if it is not made clear. In the extreme it can also end up in the deletion of accounts, something we do not like to do but there can be no 'fighting' over our Policy - we just don't have time for that.

The Role-playing Game Etiquette is here, and two of the MOST common mistakes:

international QUOTE
Do not use Role-playing Games to talk about your schedule, when you can play, emergencies in your family such as death or accident or anything NOT related to the Role-playing Game. Always use your Introduction Thread for this or you will cause the Role-playing Game to go off topic into your situation thus leading to Moderation.

And…

international QUOTE
Some Members like to use the "Out of Character:" Tag like an Offtopic Tag, this is incorrect because they are two different Tags. The "Out of Character:" Tag is meant for information that is STILL related to the game but not actually part of your Character's actions or words. The Offtopic Tag is for when your message is about your personal issues or something not related at all to the Role-playing Game you are in. In this case you should really be using your Intro Thread** or the appropriate Thread for the subject matter so no one starts to focus on your off topic message.

Following these keeps this Community constructive and the Thread stays on the subject. Failure to follow the above by even one Member leads others to think Its OK to do the same and slowly but surely being constructive is lost and the Topic changes to something not Role-playing Game related.

6th Oct, 2017 - 12:52am / Post ID: #

Page 6 Etiquette RPG

JB you having the same old problems still? I don't know why people can't just enjoy a game and obey the rules here they're simple enough. I think people just beg for drama they don't get enough from roleplaying so they want it for real too. rolleyes.gif.

Post Date: 6th Oct, 2017 - 3:40pm / Post ID: #

RPG Etiquette
A Friend

Etiquette RPG

Most of the recent issues seem to stem from disagreements on what is and is not off topic.

In particular, I would contend that an out of character update on posting availability is quite on topic, and appropriate for a game's support thread, and I don't seem to be alone in that regard.

I understand that you're concerned about a slippery slope in which someone's update leads to an off topic conversation about said update. But this is not an obvious reason for the rule, and most people would like to be able to just tell their friends they'll be busy for a bit without making them look in an entirely different section of the forum. Would it not make more sense to simply restrict details of why there's a schedule issue and not the existence of a schedule issue?

I agree that people ought to learn and abide by the rules, just my two cents on why that seems to be more difficult than it should be.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 6th Oct, 2017 - 3:41pm

6th Oct, 2017 - 4:16pm / Post ID: #

RPG Etiquette

international QUOTE (Daishain)
Most of the recent issues seem to stem from disagreements on what is and is not off topic.

It may seem this way because we wear different hats in this Community. Please keep in mind that what you see is not all that takes place, there is a lot of moderation that is not made public. In fact, we keep all moderation secret unless the Player is simply ignoring us and then it starts to become public, for example a Post in their Intro Thread or we simply put them on Limited status so every Post they make must be approved first.

international QUOTE
Would it not make more sense to simply restrict details of why there's a schedule issue and not the existence of a schedule issue?

In an ideal world sure, but let's be honest - it is not that way. Let's use some Posts in a recent game as examples so you understand this from the perspective of a Moderator and not just a Dungeon Master;

1. The Player talks about their birthday, the next poster says its my birthday too, the next post is about what you're doing for your birthday and can I come. A visitor to the site comes to the Role-playing Game in highlight looking for what we describe as a mature focused Community and instead of seeing an exciting Role-playing Game in progress sees a bunch of whimsical messages about someone's birthday!

2. Player says in one Post I might be gone for a day, next Post I will probably be gone for two days, next Post wait, cancel that I am here because I lost my job and the cat was eaten by a dog. Next Post, Oh so sorry about your cat it didn't know how to defend itself? The term for this is called "Thread Hijacking" and some people have a subtle ability to make it seem to be related to a thread but in the end they are just seeking attention for themselves.

3. You edit someone's post, place a hidden message and say please put your schedule in your intro or please talk about your dead cat that you love in your intro. You then send them an email to notice your edit and hope they don't do it again. No, they do it again so you repeat the process, then they do it again and again and again and again. Its pure insanity. When do we say we are editing this person's message too much after the 10th time or the 100th time? The fact is as a Dungeon Master you do not know how many times we are communicating with your Players, for you everything appears 'normal'.

If you want other Players to know about your life's future / history what is wrong with simply putting an off topic saying "Heads up check my intro." They can even link to it within their off topic.

Daishain, you are fairly Constructive in the Community so you do not see the level of Moderation at our disposal so as a test to show you how bold and yet private will be I will put Persephone on you now to take over your viewing - just imagine I do that to some Players with a message (Privately) and they STILL ignore it. Then they come with some cute sarcastic message like "I didn't see it, I don't check emails" to win support from the rest of the Membership and appear as the victim. You see… when someone is deleted, removed or Limited its because we have had enough babying, when you see me arrive at their Intro Thread its because I'm tired of having our intelligence insulted. We do not have time for fighting or debating over something Registered Players agreed to before you got here.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Oct, 2017 - 4:26pm / Post ID: #

RPG Etiquette
A Friend

RPG Etiquette - Page 6

I try to keep most of my stuff on topic and if it has to do with something unrelated then I will take it to another thread. I do believe most of the regular members that come here one of the first things they do is click the recent updated threads so they can see where someone has posted recently in their introduction thread. Keeping the Role-playing Game games strictly Role-playing Game is something we all need to keep working on so that we do not accidentally hijack a thread. I do know that I get side tracked at times and I do not want to be visited by Persephone any more. Granted she is a nice lady but I like to stay out of moderators minds if I can help it *smile*.

6th Oct, 2017 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

RPG Etiquette Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 6

You are fine KNtoran and I am happy to say that I've never seen much of a Role-playing Game Etiquette problem from you or the Players in your Role-playing Games either.

I can't say the same for the other Role-playing Games though, right now some of the Players in the other Role-playing Games are attempting to tell us how we should run the site with their as usual sarcastic comments rather than simply play the game so I can get back to my coding. Again, all of this is hidden and not known to anyone but this is the kind of cow's manure I have to deal with because of a simple rule - no courtesy. Again, we are not asking anyone to like the rule, or to agree to it, we are just asking you to be courteous and keep it.

Rather off topic, but...
Persephone only brings good news now when its public.

+  « First of 8 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

> TOPIC: RPG Etiquette

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,