Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 26 of 58

Detect Evil in this edition is more limited - Page 26 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 27th Jan, 2017 - 8:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Warlock
Warlock
Draconian
Draconian
Ranger
Ranger
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian
Wizard
Wizard
Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin

+  « First of 58 pgs.  22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  ...Latest (58) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 26th Jan, 2017 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 26

Welcome Ash! I don't know if Daishain is accepting new characters still. I can't speak for him. He will be along shortly. Go to the main Role-playing Game thread for this game. The mission backdrop is on the first page or two. 5e is much easier to create a character than 3.5. The Dungeon Master will give you more info about that if he is accepting characters. Bards are one of the top classes in 5e. Much stronger than they were in 3.5. I play a bard in the other 5e game here and she is great fun.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 26th Jan, 2017 - 6:53pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

I am still accepting new characters, and even have a way to get you into play with the others right off the bat.

Setting for the Campaign is the Sword Coast, lots of lore centered on this region, from video games and books to a lot of Dungeons & Dragons 's premade adventures.

Basic synopsis of the mission, The Harpers received word of an impending attack on the town of Greenest, The players, all of whom are part of an adventuring band known as the Silver Blaze, were hired by said Harpers to go there as part of an advance party and defend Greenest's citizens. They are almost to the town, and are traveling with a fair number of other capable adventurers. Currently, none of the players are in charge of the mission, for now at least that honor goes to the paladin Sir Onthar Frume, a veteran of the distinguished Order of the Gauntlet. Sir Onthar however has been relying on the Blaze a fair bit, recognizing their skill. They just dealt with a group of bandits who had been apparently been hired to slaughter anyone traveling along the Uldoon Trail in order to isolate Greenest, and are preparing to lay to rest the victims of that group. Be sure to read more of the main thread for additional details

The easiest way to start you off is as a member of the caravan who simply hasn't played a large role before this point. There are a couple of freelance adventurers traveling with them that I deliberately haven't named or described yet for this reason. Going this route, your character would have been in Baldur's Gate at the beginning of the campaign, and would have needed some reason to accept the contract the other player's did.

Alternatively, I could start you off in/around the town of Greenest itself. I do have a few things you could do there on your own, but I cannot guarantee you won't end up waiting for the party to arrive to really get started. At least it shouldn't be a very long wait at this point if that does happen.

Coming from 3.5E to 5E, there are quite a few changes you need to be aware of.
-Skills, BAB, and saves no longer work as you know them. They are all covered by your proficiency modifier (Which for your level will be a +2). If you are proficient with a save, a weapon, or a skill, etc. For the most part you just add the proficiency modifier, along with the related ability mod, and go. Also, there are now six save types, one for each ability score. Dexterity, Constitution, and Wisdom saves remain the most common, but the other three tend to protect against some really nasty effects. Charisma saves for instance are often used to avoid being shunted to another dimension against your will.
-All classes have a subclass choice, which helps to specialize the character. As a Bard, you can choose between The College of Valor, and the College of Lore. As you might expect, Valor is a little more martial oriented, while the other grants some extra stuff to help with spells and skills.
-Bards are full spellcasters now, and have the enviable ability to pick a handful of their known spells from any spell list.
-There is no move action, nor are there full attacks. If you have multiple attacks, you can use them whether or not you stand still. You can also split up your movement speed as you like with any actions in between.
-Cantrips are at will now, with no limit on uses. There are also several good offensive cantrips. If they aren't good with weapons, casters are encouraged to have at least one so they always have something to do. Vicious Mockery is an interesting Bard specific one. You can insult someone to death with it, (It deals small amounts of psychic damage), and make them less effective at hitting back to boot.
-Most bonuses and penalties to attacks, skill rolls, etc. Have been replaced with the advantage/disadvantage system. If you have advantage, you roll 2 d20's and take the higher result. With disadvantage, you take the lower one.
-Quite a few skills have been condensed. Spot and Listen are now simply Perception for instance, and the myriad Knowledge checks have been condensed into just 4 (Arcana, History, Nature, Religion).
-Feats and ability bonuses are handled differently. Whenever your class says (Ability Score Improvement) for a level, you have a choice. You can apply two points to any ability score. Or you can pick one Feat. It should be noted that feats are noticeably more powerful than they were in 3.5e, and the only feat chains are related to armor proficiency (IE no more picking feats you don't give a flip about in order to get the one you do), making this choice quite difficult at times.
-Arcane Spell Failure is no longer a thing. If you're proficient in armor, you can cast in it, if you're not, you can't. Its that simple.

All in all, 5E is considerably simpler than 3.5E, which helps the game to run smoothly, especially with players new to it. The balance between classes is also considerably improved, amazingly enough you don't have to jump through flaming hoops to keep the pure martial characters competitive. It does however lose out on some of the complex character options the older edition had.

Make sure to read the first post of this thread and the first post of the rules and support thread. They outline what I expect of you and your character, and include a couple of my own houserules (Most of which I think you'll like)

I do have one request. I notice you have not exactly been active on this site since you joined over 2 years ago. That is not a problem, but it does lead me to wonder if you will cease posting again within the next week. Before we go much further with this, please be certain this is something that you want to become an active part of. Its a disservice to me and your fellow players to get started and then just fall silent.

That said, I would be happy to have you on board and to help you get started. I think the party could use a good bard. Let me know if I can address any questions or concerns.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 26th Jan, 2017 - 7:34pm

Post Date: 27th Jan, 2017 - 6:15pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Completely understanding your concerns about frequency of posting after this long absence, but I'm getting involved with this new character and not likely letting her go into oblivion that easily.

Will need your feedback on this idea: Nyzahr is a mysterious creature, a Tiefling created by help of magic with a deep connection to Beshaba, Goddess of Misfortune.
She seems to suffer from amnesia - or at least not to be willing to share her motives and history with anone. In fact, she seems completely mute at first glance and her behaviour is somewhat unsettling, not to say erratic or at enigmatic.

Would be interested to hear your feedback on this idea.

If it's too wild and far-fetched I can also settle for a more regular Bard type, human or otherwise.
But I thought introducing this type of character could prove a lot more interesting in terms of roleplay and ulterior plot development…

As far as abilities, I did try to use the 27 pts system which I knew nothing of, and added the racial bonuses to that, but you'd better give it a closer look to see if it was done properly.

Post Date: 27th Jan, 2017 - 6:27pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 26 Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

I like the concept. She is very unique. It's kind of funny. Over half the group are playing characters that aren't very trustworthy. I think chaotic neutral is the majority alignment. Should be fun *smile* Hopefully someone won't get murdered in their sleep.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 27th Jan, 2017 - 6:28pm

Post Date: 27th Jan, 2017 - 7:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

The concept is a little more out there than most, but I rather like it.

Obviously missing most of the mechanical stuff. Point buy looks like it was done right.

I think the next step at this point would be to decide on the bardic college you follow. It makes a fair amount of different to everything else, including the equipment you can use. It sounds like Lore is a little more in keeping with your concept, but either one can work.

27th Jan, 2017 - 7:17pm / Post ID: #
Zarra Glannath
Arcane Trickster 9
Character
Follower / Middle Rear
Character Sheet ◀
Associates Has 2 Associates
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

The Quiet Shadow says...

This is another reason why I don't think it would have been a good idea for me to play a Paladin. While it could work, since no one is evil, I could see there being more conflict having one be part of a chaotic party.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 27th Jan, 2017 - 7:18pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Jan, 2017 - 7:27pm / Post ID: #
Onwen Brecht
Wizard Necromancer
Character
Loner / Middle Rear
Character Sheet Lock
Base Has a Home Base
Retired Retired

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 26

The Friendly Necromancer says...

Technically Onwen is evil, his alignment is Neutral Evil to represent his willingness to sacrifice nearly anything or anyone to achieve his goal; this doesn't mean he will sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve all of his goals, just his ultimate goal of resurrecting his lost love. The description of the Paladin's ability to detect evil states

international QUOTE
The presence of strong evil registers on your senses like a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly music in your ears.

I don't know if Onwen's "Aura" would be considered to be emanating strong evil or not though, I guess that's up to the Dungeon Master. If so then I suppose Geoffroy would have no doubts that, at his core, Onwen is not a good guy.

Post Date: 27th Jan, 2017 - 8:05pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 26

Detect Evil in this edition is more limited to identifying extraordinary beings rather than just anyone with certain alignments. I might make an exception for extreme examples of people aligned with evil purpose, but I would not say Onwen is there.

It should also be noted that 5E paladins are considerably less stringent in required behavior in some ways, and no longer have a Lawful Good alignment restriction. An Oath of Ancients Paladin for instance is sworn to protect life and light, but aren't inherently prevented from working with a NE necromancer like Onwen, and can easily be rather chaotic in alignment themselves.

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.