Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Rules Q&A / Chatter - Page 17 of 34

I respect you playing the character that you - Page 17 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 18th Sep, 2017 - 9:20pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Wizard
Wizard
Draconian
Draconian
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Warlock
Warlock
Cleric
Cleric
Ranger
Ranger
Rogue
Rogue
Fighter
Fighter

+  « First of 34 pgs.  13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ...Latest (34) »
Closed
PBP Grecian Dungeons and Dragons This is only for Players of this Campaign. To create a Character for this Campaign please visit: Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Character Creation.
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
18th Sep, 2017 - 8:20pm / Post ID: #
Photokles
Cleric
Character
Lieutenant / Right Fwd. Flank
Character Sheet ◀
Active Player Active Role-player!

Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Rules Q&A / Chatter - Page 17

The light bearer says...

I'm only seeing "Refer to weapons table in chapter 5" in regard to unarmed strikes. Yes you would add your strength modifier to the damage, however the only way to attain proficiency is to be a class that is proficient in ALL simple weapons or take the brawler feat. The brawler feat allows you to then make your unarmed strikes d4s, and the monk allows you to use dexterity or strength as your attack and damage modifier (As well as increasing the damage output of unarmed strikes).

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Sep, 2017 - 8:25pm / Post ID: #

Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Rules Q&A / Chatter
A Friend

Chatter QampA Rules Campaign Greek e Dragons and Dungeons Abnninjas

Don't know what to tell you Brandon, that was copied word for word from the PHB, pg 195, right under "Melee Attacks". Last paragraph before "Opportunity Attacks ".

Evidently unarmed proficiency doesn't require a class.

Reconcile Edited: Robertreaper on 18th Sep, 2017 - 8:32pm

18th Sep, 2017 - 8:36pm / Post ID: #
Photokles
Cleric
Character
Lieutenant / Right Fwd. Flank
Character Sheet ◀
Active Player Active Role-player!

Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Rules Q&A / Chatter Archive Pathfinder / D&D

The light bearer says...

Hmm, that is literally not in my book. Now, Wizards did release a "Second edition" of the PHB (I still have the original). Can you tell me what the school of magic "Revivify" is in your edition?
If it's the second edition, it will be "Necromancy".
Mine says "Conjuration", as it was before they changed it. So yours might have the updated unarmed attack rules, which if so, takes precedent over what I have. I was just not aware that was one of the things they changed.

Post Date: 18th Sep, 2017 - 8:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 17 Chatter QampA Rules Campaign Greek e Dragons and Dungeons Abnninjas

I'm looking at my PHB and it shows what Brandon said. It said you can make unarmed attacks in melee and to refer to Table 5. I don't have any of the other that you copied and pasted in my PHB. They are simple weapons. Wizards aren't proficient in simple weapons. The tavern brawler feat even states that among other things you gain proficiency in unarmed strikes. If everyone was proficient in them why would it say that?

Speaking of the quarterstaff… you can take the pole master feat which allows you to make a secondary strike each turn on your bonus action which does D4 damage.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 18th Sep, 2017 - 8:40pm

Post Date: 18th Sep, 2017 - 8:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Chatter QampA Rules Campaign Greek e Dragons and Dungeons Abnninjas

Yeah, mine says Necromancy. I got them maybe a month or two before I started playing here. That explains the confusion between us. *laugh*.

That was why I joined this group; because we had just started our first 5e campaign and I'm the one Dungeon Mastering, so I wanted to see the system from the players' side as well, to get a better understanding of the system.

Edit: Here is the updated Tavern Brawler feat.

international QUOTE

"TAVERN BRAWLER

Accustomed to rough-and-tumble fighting using whatever weapons happen to be at hand, you gain the following benefits:

Increase your Strength or Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You are proficient with improvised weapons.
Your unarmed strike uses a d4 for damage.
When you hit with an unarmed strike or an improvised weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target."

That was why I was mistakenly using d4+Strength for my unarmed attacks. I originally build this character with this feat, before I knew that I had to wait until 4th lv for feats, and I had forgotten to change back the damage.

Thankfully the only time I've hit with my unarmed strike I did 4 DMG, and I've missed the second attack I did earlier; so at least nothing needs retconned.

Post Date: 18th Sep, 2017 - 9:03pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I wonder what else has changed. I need to get the 2nd edition PHB. So I guess he is proficient and can make two strikes a turn if he uses his bonus action. The main attack will do straight up 4 points but the secondary will only do 1 because you don't get to use the strength modifier without two weapon fighting style or feat. You will have tough choices on what to do at level 4.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 18th Sep, 2017 - 9:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Rules Q&A / Chatter - Page 17

No, it will be easy to choose; I'm getting Tavern Brawler. I built this character with that feat in mind. The next feat after that will be a tough one to choose; though I may just throw that one into 2 Con points. I plan to run Manos as a tank and I love that 5e let's me do it… to a degree.

Reconcile Edited: Robertreaper on 18th Sep, 2017 - 9:13pm

Post Date: 18th Sep, 2017 - 9:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Rules Q&A / Chatter D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 17

I respect you playing the character that you have in mind without mini-maxing. I've never seen a non- bladesinger wizard tank even in 5th. Best of luck to you.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 18th Sep, 2017 - 9:20pm

> TOPIC: Abnninja's D&D 5e Greek Campaign Rules Q&A / Chatter

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.