Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters For Play By Post - Page 95 of 112

For skills, maximum purchased rank for level - Page 95 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 19th Sep, 2017 - 2:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

25th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Wizard
Wizard
Cleric
Cleric
Fighter
Fighter
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin
Ranger
Ranger
Barbarian
Barbarian

+  « First of 112 pgs.  91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99  ...Latest (112) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons DragonsDungeons & Dragons - Only Mature Minded Players who intend on being regular participants should Post here.
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 15th Sep, 2017 - 12:36pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters For Play By Post
A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters For Play By Post - Page 95

I'm willing to help, but all of this is answered by the players handbook, try to take a read through before your next round of questions. You may also consider googling for a 3.5e rogue handbook, which is likely to give good advice on setting this guy up.

Abn is right, Rogue is 8+int for skills, sorry. That would give you a whopping 44 skill points to distribute.

You will need to convert your ability scores into their mod number. The formula is (X-10)/2 rounded down. So a 16 or 17 provides a mod of +3, and an 8 provides -1

For Skills: when making a skill roll, you roll a d20, and add your purchased ranks in that skill, plus the ability modifier associated with that skill, plus anything else that adds a bonus, such as tools or racial abilities. So if for instance you buy 4 ranks of Move Silently, the ability associated with Move Silently is Dexterity. So when rolling, you would roll 1d20+7.

Currency conversion: 1 platinum coin = 10 gold coins = 100 silver coins = 1,000 copper coins

Equipment weight is listed in pounds not Kg, but either way you are well below the limit. Look here: Source 3v For a strength of 17 your cap is 86 pounds to move around without any kind of penalty.

Your effective armor rating, or AC, is a bit tricky. You actually have three different armor values depending on the situation.

Normal AC:
10+armor+Shield+Dexterity+Size+Natural+Deflect+Dodge+Miscellaneous

Touch AC: (This is vs effects that only have to graze you to take effect, not penetrate armor. This mostly pertains to certain spells)
10+Dexterity+Size+Deflect+Dodge+Miscellaneous

Flatfooted AC: (This is for when you are surprised, restrained, or otherwise not in a position to physically dodge an attack)
10+armor+Shield+Size+Natural+Deflect+Miscellaneous

As a half elf with no magic items, your starting armor bonus for the size, natural, deflect, and dodge values are all 0. With leather armor, no shield, and a Dexterity modifier of +3, your AC/touchAC/flatfootedAC values will be
15/13/12

In regards to the dagger you picked up. A large dagger is a weapon sized to be wielded by a large creature. As a medium sized creature, you cannot wield that without penalty. I would go ahead and pick up a medium sized dagger as a backup, but there are better weapons available to you to use as your default in melee. The best of those would be a rapier, but that's a little expensive. The shortsword is not a bad fallback.

Since you are pretty much exclusively using one handed weapons, you may also consider picking up something to use in your offhand. A buckler would be good for a little more defense, as you can still wear it without interfering with your use of a shortbow. You could also wield a weapon in your offhand. A rapier and a dagger is a pretty classic starting configuration. Two weapon fighting is a little tricky to do right, but can be quite effective.

Also, don't forget feats. You have 1 to start, and can "Purchase" up to 2 more feats by taking on flaws. Feats add or augment abilities. For instance, the Weapon Finesse feat lets you use Dexterity rather than Strength to attack using certain melee weapons (Basically all the weapons you're interested in as a rogue). The Deft Defense feat lets you add your Intelligence bonus to AC as a dodge bonus, so long as you aren't wearing armor with an armor check penalty.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 15th Sep, 2017 - 1:39pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Sep, 2017 - 2:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Post Play Characters Create Dragons and Dungeons

Take some of this advice and make sure your character sheet is filled out as in the game it will be what I use to make sure you are able to do something. Also you only had 130 gold so I do not know where that extra 50 gold came into play. You may have some change to checks the conversion rate 10 copper is 1 silver 10 silver is 1 gold.

17th Sep, 2017 - 7:53am / Post ID: #
Rivoril
Rogue 2nd Beguiler 1st
Character
Novice / Middle Front
Character Sheet Lock
Associates Has 2 Associates
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters For Play By Post Archive Pathfinder / D&D

The Resiliant says...

So just to confirm, before I start filling out the character sheet completely with skills. I will have 44 points to distribute to my choosing. With a goal of maximizing the Rogue class.

Since I have a 17 in Intelligence, I can add +3 points to each one of the skills? Or only one of them?

If I have 44 points, then I can arbitrary pile a heap onto one or a few skills. But they will all add up to 44 in the end right?

Then after I've allocated the skills (Distributed the 44 points), I then roll 1D20 unmodified per skill is that correct?

The Hit points is a standard unmodified 1D6 correct?

With AC normal:15
AC touch:13
AC flatfoot: 12
I just transfer these figures to character sheet.

Ditch the large dagger, and write down short sword direct on the sheet.

I would have to convert some of the misc. Adventuring items to work out if there is enough gold piece for a buckler. If there is then I will write that down also.

Can I pick "Feats" or do they come under the encompassing 44 points?

As a Rogue I'm thinking of Arterial strike, Hamstring and Sickening strike.

Post Date: 17th Sep, 2017 - 11:05am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 95 Post Play Characters Create Dragons and Dungeons

Okay, there are forty skills in Dungeons & Dragons. Here is the full list. Source 7d

The rogue has a list of skills that it is good at, those are listed on its page I linked before. These are known as class skills for you. Everything else is known as a crossclass skill.

Class skill: 1 invested skill point = 1 rank. You can purchase a maximum of 4 ranks at level 1, 5 ranks at level 2, 6 at 3, etc.
Crossclass skill: 2 invested skill points = 1 rank. You can purchase a maximum of 2 ranks at level 1, 3 at level 3, 4 at level 5, etc.

Each skill has an associated ability. Disable Device for instance is associated with intelligence, while Move Silently is associated with Dexterity.

Adding your purchased ranks to the associated ability mod gives you your total skill modifier. When you use that particular skill in the game, you will roll a d20 modified by this number.

Starting hit points for you is going to be 6 plus your constitution modifier. When you level up, you can roll a 1d6+con for how many additional HP are added to your max.

You get to pick 1 feat by default to begin with. You can get up to 2 additional feats by also picking up an equal number of flaws.
The default list of feats can be found here: Source 6v
The default list of flaws can be found here: Source 4d
There are plenty more of both available out there, but be careful, there is also a lot of invalid homebrew items.

You unfortunately do not qualify for the feats you mention, yet. Pay attention to a feat's prerequisites. One of those asks for a +2d6 sneak attack ability (You're at 1d6 for now). The other two ask for a certain BAB score, and you're at +0 for the moment.

Post Date: 17th Sep, 2017 - 2:24pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Post Play Characters Create Dragons and Dungeons

Keep working on fleshing out your character with skills and a feat. You do not have to take other feats if you do not wish flaws that is up to you. Making sure you have everything listed on your character sheet is a must.

19th Sep, 2017 - 2:08pm / Post ID: #
Rivoril
Rogue 2nd Beguiler 1st
Character
Novice / Middle Front
Character Sheet Lock
Associates Has 2 Associates
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

The Resiliant says...

I have now filled the Character sheet with a selected skill set.
I figured that the GM would now want to see the results of rolling the hit dice for the character.
Which is made up of 1D6 plus a +2 modifier due to CON = 15.
However I've rolled an unmodified roll also, in case that was needed?

Oh, and by the way is there any more particular rolls? Or "Fleshing out" for the character sheet required?

Reconcile Edited: anronrosby on 19th Sep, 2017 - 2:10pm

Rivoril Results:
  • Hit Die (modified) on D6 (+2): 8 (1 roll, as D2-6)
  • Hit Die (unmodified) on D6 (+0): 5 (1 roll)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 19th Sep, 2017 - 2:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters Play Post - Page 95

As a first level character you do not roll for hit points as all first level characters start with Max hot points allowed by their hit die and Constitution bonus.

Post Date: 19th Sep, 2017 - 2:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters Play Post D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 95

For skills, maximum purchased rank for level 1 is 4. So take that fifth point in move silently and stick it somewhere else.

Craft is a branch skill, you have to list what you are good at crafting. It can be anything from bow making to statues, but you have to specify. You can potentially have multiple different craft skills, but you have to purchase ranks in them separately. For instance, my character Bastion has ranks in armorsmithing, weaponsmithing, and woodworking. Each of them is treated as a separate skill.

I would also suggest adding all skill modifiers together in one place, so you have the grand total available for use. For instance, with the Hide skill, your current total would be 7, 4 ranks plus 3 Dexterity

You will need to post your saves somewhere on your sheet. A level 1 rogue gets +2 Reflex. So your saving throws would be as follows. 2 Fortitude, 5 Reflex, and -1 Will. When hit with an offensive effect that isn't a direct attack (IE a trap, a breath weapon, or most spells), you would roll a d20 and add the appropriate number. For instance if someone tries to magically fill your mind with fear and force you to flee, Kn would ask for a Will save, and you would roll a 1d20-1

It would also be good to put the numbers together for your main attacks. For instance, for both shortsword and shortbow, you would roll 1d20+3 to hit the target. For the shortsword, you would do 1d6+3 damage. For the shortbow, you would just do 1d6.

For now, one of those weapons is dependent on strength and the other on dexterity, so if those numbers change… Also, when you level up, your BAB will go up, in turn increasing the tohit modifier.

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters For Play By Post

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.