Human Cloning? - Page 3 of 14

By eliminating or repairing defective genes - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 14th Feb, 2003 - 6:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (14) »
Clone Human Embryos
Stem Cell Research
Human Cloning? Related Information to Human Cloning?
9th Feb, 2003 - 8:51pm / Post ID: #

Human Cloning? - Page 3

I am amazed how 50% (so far) of the respondents in this survey have indicated that they believe Cloning is against God's Will. The LDS Church has taken no stance whatsoever on this issue that I am aware of.  The Catholic Church has so I assume these respondents are Catholic.  If not, then from where are they getting their revelations?

Check here for that answer: https://www.bordeglobal.com/board/YaBBHelp/index.shtml

Remember this forum supports many sites, not all who come through here are from a particular religious oraganization, hence the diversity of the board themes within the forum. In fact, we have many hindus, arabs, jewish, and non-believers here.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Feb, 2003 - 6:47pm / Post ID: #

Human Cloning?
A Friend

Cloning Human

I answered that I had no position on the matter, but on second thoughts, I have many questions.  For example, ethics wise, if we have a soul, then would they?  They are a scientific production of our making?  What then does this mean for mankind?

As for the theory of them being used for certain purposes.  Again, is this ethical?  If they could be considered as a usefull weapon down the road, then what are we thinking?  Are they to be considered human? (in effect, they are,) then they should not be USED for any purpose other than living.  Then I think, why with the overpopulation that we are contending with, would we choose to populate the planet more?  There is the food consumption to consider, and on and on my questions go!

11th Feb, 2003 - 8:07pm / Post ID: #

Human Cloning? History & Civil Business Politics

I answered that I had no position on the matter, but on second thoughts, I have many questions.  

Jas, welcome to the forum. Your questions like many others on this forum lead to more questions. The funny thing about life is... they always tell you what they are going to do, but never why. Hopefully, God will hold the reigns on this one and not allow man to use it for evil.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

12th Feb, 2003 - 1:41am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Cloning Human

Hey Jas, you have the same questions that I do lol smile.gif
The one about the soul is a tough one, I'm sure Nephiproject will come here and give some of his insights about your questions. I personally think that cloning is not ethical and it's against God's plan. Everything will go just crazy if they start cloning people in my opinion, it's impossible to control the effect of it just like when the internet was invented and look at us know we are in 2003 and still talking about the impact that the internet has in our lives and find ways to control what's going on in here and still not finding answers, in a subject like cloning is even much more complicated than that.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

13th Feb, 2003 - 10:29am / Post ID: #

Cloning Human

It seems that generally across the US bills are being created and passed to ban human cloning. I have not heard much response from the rest of the world though and I believe it will be done outside the US.

The Following is Used by Permission:

Reply-To:  Steven Ertelt
Subject:   Congressional Committee Passes Ban on All Human Cloning
Source:   Pro-Life Infonet; February 12, 2003

Congressional Committee Passes Ban on All Human Cloning

Washington, DC -- The House Judiciary Committee, on Wednesday passed a
pro-life ban on all forms of human cloning on a party-line vote. The vote
sets up debate in two weeks on the ban in the full House of
Representatives, which passed the bill with a strong bipartisan vote of
265-162 last year.

Judiciary Committee Chairman, pro-life Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) said
that vote will take place after lawmakers return from the President's Day
recess on Feb. 25.

House passage of the ban (HR 534), sponsored by Reps. Dave Weldon (R-FL)
and Bart Stupak (D-MI), is likely, but the bill has more questionable
prospects in the Senate. President Bush supports the bill.

Some Republicans, such as Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) and Orrin Hatch
(R-UT), have prompted a compromise version of the ban that allows for
human cloning in cases of scientific research. Pro-life groups oppose such
research because it involves the destruction of human life and refer to
the Specter-Hatch plan as a "clone and kill" bill.

Some pro-life lawmakers express concern that the Weldon-Stupak bill will
be filibustered in the Senate by pro-cloning Senators.

``We haven't done an official count,'' said one Senate GOP aide, who
added, ``As close as we can tell neither side has 60 votes.''

Judiciary Committee Democrats tried unsuccessfully to gain approval for
several amendments, including one that would have allowed the destructive
research-based cloning.  Opponents said a cloned embryo is a human even
before implantation in a womb, and to destroy it for research would be
immoral.

``We can debate from here to kingdom come when life begins,'' said
pro-cloning Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY). ``We should not be criminalizing
fields of research which could yield all sorts of benefits.''

But pro-life Rep. Howard Coble (R-NC) said a complete ban was necessary.
``If we want to prevent cloned human children, we must seek to stop the
process at the beginning.''

"The Judiciary Committee should be commended for approving a real ban on
human cloning today, and for rejecting amendments to authorize the most
grotesque application of human cloning -- mass producing human embryos to
destroy them for experimentation," said Cathy Cleaver, Director of
Planning and Information for the Pro-Life Secretariat of the United States
Conference of Catholic Bishops.

ACTION:  Please contact your Representative and urge strong support for
the Weldon-Stupak cloning ban. You can call any member at 202-224-3121 or
find specific contact information at
https://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html

Post Date: 14th Feb, 2003 - 3:17pm / Post ID: #

Human Cloning?
A Friend

Human Cloning?

House passage of the ban (HR 534), sponsored by Reps. Dave Weldon (R-FL)
and Bart Stupak (D-MI), is likely, but the bill has more questionable
prospects in the Senate. President Bush supports the bill.

Some Republicans, such as Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) and Orrin Hatch
(R-UT), have prompted a compromise version of the ban that allows for
human cloning in cases of scientific research.

For sure the cloning ban in the Senate will face much more opposition and my guess is that the debate will force a stalemate or a compromise like Orrin Hatch is proposing.

I personally am for limited use of the technique in certain circumstances for particular purposes until the techniques are perfected and the success rate rises from the current 1 out of 100 to 99 out of 100.  To ban it outright after the techniques for cloning are already well-known and widespread makes no sense at all. The law then will make outlaws of those who further the process and techniques.  It seems to me some people are afraid of empowering and perfecting the human race -  As far as the metaphysics of a clone - no one knows for sure but logic would dictate that the human clone would have heart and soul and be able to make decisions since the embryonic clone has a point of 'conception' (when a human soul enters the embryo) just as you and I did in our mother's womb. Just because it happens outside the human body makes it no less 'human'.  The person that is created however may have a more perfect physical body than his/her donor  after genetic defects are removed from the donor's cells.  Granted, scientists and geneticists are not yet to that point but it is at this time theoretically possible and given enough time, I believe theory will turn to safe practical reality.  100 years from today, clones will be a desirable and growing subset of the human race in my opinion.  Until people see impressive results (normal or super-normal (mentally and physically healthier with superior intelligence and abilities)) there will continue to be general fear and misunderstanding. This has been true with so many other advances in Science and technology.  

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Feb, 2003 - 3:29pm / Post ID: #

Human Cloning - Page 3

It seems to me some people are afraid of empowering and perfecting the human race

perfecting? in what way? can you explain me please what do you mean by this?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 14th Feb, 2003 - 6:40pm / Post ID: #

Human Cloning?
A Friend

Human Cloning Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

By eliminating or repairing defective genes - genes that inherited within families - diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, Obesity, glandualr dysfunctions, cancers etc - these and many other diseases that afflict the human race have been identified with 'out of control genes' that are inherited and passed along within families from generation to generation.  This genetic engineering or 're-engineering' holds tremendous promise for those with inherited or inheritable diseases.  As Genetic engineering becomes more advanced, more perfect humans becomes reality - just as Geneticists today prune defective genes from vegetable plants and add additional gene traits that can be passed on - through cloning- to protect the plants from deadly insects, cold and environmental hazards like flooding or drought and gene traits that make plants taste better and look better.  Most Americans today eat cloned and genetically engineered vegetables without even being aware of it - Wheat, corn, Barley, and a large number of other basic fruits and vegetables are being genetically altered to taste better or sweeter and at the same time are being made larger, more colorful, more perfect.  
This is the promise of genetic engineering and cloning. The future of both these processes is very bright indeed but again - not without problems or challenges.  Our grandchildren will probably look at this debate as silly and be amazed at the fear that was felt re. cloning and genetic engineering in our day.  
Just imagine the fear in most people as they watched those brave pioneers who actually flew in a heavier-than-air metal can propelled by two fans called an airline. I would guess that you and many others would not have risked their lives flying in a metal tube with propeller fans for 500 to 1000 miles.  There too was debate about banning airplanes - especially after the Hindenburg Blimp Disaster that made such sensational news.
Space travel too has setbacks. And people go on and fix what was wrong and make more perfect their knowledge and skills.
Cloning will be like that as will human genetic engineering - there will be mistakes made and abuse but  it will continue and fears and superstitions will eventually dissolve.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (14) »

> TOPIC: Human Cloning?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,