Violence & Sex in Games - Page 6 of 23

To be honest, I don't think children - Page 6 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 6th Aug, 2005 - 8:00am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 23 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (23) »

?
Poll: I think Violence and Sex in video games is...
  Terrible and should be removed       29.82%
  Okay once it is done in good taste       28.07%
  Fine, nothing wrong with it at all       42.11%
Total Votes: 57
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Discuss  Violence & Sex in Games Is all that violence and sex in video games really necessary to entertain?
Post Date: 8th May, 2005 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Violence & Sex in Games - Page 6

I'm a pacifist and go out of my way to avoid conflict, but I think it's necessary to remember that games are by their nature competitive and violent. Chess is a battle, and you can't play a hand of bridge without thinking of it as attempting to win a fight. But nobody blames these for the stupid way human beings run the world by trying to kill each other. If anything, they may well be useful as a safe way of getting rid of an aggression which we're born with (call it evolution, call it original sin, whatever metaphor you prefer; it's there, like it or not).
I'd also like to put in a plea for avoidance of automatic knee-jerk reactions of the "These games are violent, so they cause violence" puritan variety. We understand very little about cause and effect in human behaviour, and should not pontificate too readily. I can't help remembering a university lecturer in a drama department I once heard condemning a movie as "too full of sex and violence". We went around the table getting people to name what they considered the ten greatest plays ever written - I think only two of those mentioned would have passed the censor as suitably squeaky clean....

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2005 - 1:20pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Games Sex and Violence

Sen. Clinton Wants Video Game Access Probe

AP - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, who has attacked violent video games as "a silent epidemic" among children, said she wants a federal investigation into one of the most popular, "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas."
Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ton_video_games

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2005 - 6:43pm / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Violence & Sex in Games Gaming Video & Issues Computer

I have played GTA San Andreas and I really don't see the problem. I agree with BardockOwns, in that the game is simply a game. I have the capability of separating entertainment from real life, and I'm sure I've been that way my whole life. I grew up with kids around me that did all sorts of bad things (stealing, drinking underage, drugs, etc) but I didn't! Plus... what's going on in the game is taken straight from the streets...that's the way it is... it's like Sim City for thugs... you make them do whatever you want. I don't see what the big deal is. If you are a parent that forbids your child to play such a game, better believe they will take the first opportunity to play it at a friend's house (or sneak into dad's game stash and play it while he's not watching). If you have raised your child to know the difference between right and wrong, they should have no problem playing the game and still being able to function correctly in society.

Post Date: 16th Jul, 2005 - 12:08am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Page 6 Games Sex and Violence

In the end essentially this topic always goes towards ok for adults bad for kids.
If parents would watch their kids then it wouldn't be a problem, ok so what should the government do about it, nothing, the esrb made a very good system with the ratings, they increased advertisement on the rating system. In a recent study it was said that 98 percent could tell you what the rating meant when shown. thats not bad, so I think the problem is solved as far as the industry goes and way beyond as far as the government should go. the problem is in the home. plain and simple or maybe not even in the home. maybe the parent want their children to play gta. If thats the case so be it. I don't agree with it but it is america land of the free, or at least I hope the free. I think the mania surrounding gta and violence in video games is wrongly singled out. there is violence in everything else that is produced by the media from the power rangers to John Grisham novels. If kids were reading John Grisham or other thriller books do you think that their would be a media storm raining down their pleas for less violence as they advertise real world violence on the next page.

Message Edited!
Persephone: Please use uppercase letters as needed.

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2005 - 11:17am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Games Sex and Violence

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 21-May 03, 2:25 PM)

Washington on Tuesday became the first state to enact a law against renting or
selling some violent computer games to children under 17.

I used to work in a Game store and the problem with this is parents buying these games for their kids, when I would tell them "you know this game is really violent killing people is the main objevtive and it's got lots of swearing" their reaction would generally be "yeah! and?" Dont get me wrong I love playing GTA but I wouldn't let a 10 year old watch an 18 rated film and computer games have been shown as much more destructive to the young psyche because they are interactive!

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2005 - 12:50pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Violence & Sex in Games

VIDEO GAME RATING BOARD IN HOT SEAT

Shooting. Killing. Vehicular mayhem. Sexual conquests. Teenagers can
experience it all through today's almost-anything-goes breed of video games, primarily among those rated "M" for mature.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.games/07/...s.ap/index.html

21st Jul, 2005 - 12:20pm / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex Games - Page 6

It is good to see that despite the overall preference of posters in the thread the majority or at least those that are concerned think that this should not be a freebie for kids:

'GTA' Game Rating Changed to Adults-Only 

AP - The video game industry on Wednesday changed to adults-only the rating of "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," a best-selling game in which explicit sexual content can be unlocked with an Internet download. 
Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../video_game_sex 

Now if one or two parents are somehow scolded for allowing or even as mentioned before buying these kinds of games for their underage children then some more guardians will take notice and bring a stop to these kinds of games.

If people used to enjoy the old atari / commodore / sega kind of games that did not have this kind of input why should they be any different now? The other argument about this being 'reality' has no foundation. That is like saying, 'We live in a neighborhood of thieves, so let us bring that influence into our house by playing a game about thieves thieving other people's belongings. I think the world is built up too much on 'follow the trend' and parents should know that just because the world is like that it does not mean it has to be perpetuated within the home.

Post Date: 6th Aug, 2005 - 8:00am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Violence & Sex Games Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 6

To be honest, I don't think children are influenced to kill people by playing violent video games. I believe they can distinguish between a game and reality.

Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Violence & Sex in Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,