Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 11 of 17

I dont think I am addicted to coke, its not - Page 11 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Oct, 2007 - 1:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 17 pgs.  7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...Latest (17) »
Some can't do without it, are they breaking the Word of Wisdom?
19th May, 2007 - 2:18am / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 11

Recently, I was thinking... if I was offered a Coke and drank it what would be the lack of spirituality really? I mean to say... am I really 'hurting' myself by doing so? If I am not addicted to Coke-Cola and had it that one time just because I was offered and then did not seek for it because I was not enraged in thirst? I say this because I love chocolate and at times (not now) I would eat a lot of it... am I really spiritually starved because I do this? Who knows if the little restraints is what makes us have the 'edge' over others spiritually? I do not know, but in a world where there are so many big demons to avoid, destroy and conquer each day it seems like this is a 'small' issue... or is it?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 10th Jul, 2007 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?
A Friend

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

As a missionary, we starting teaching a nice lady who had moved into our Ward. She had had all of the discussions and wanted to be baptized. But, she informed us, she was having trouble living the Word of Wisdom. After inquiry, she admitted that she liked to drink Pepsi. I replied that I didn't think Pepsi was against the Word of Wisdom. She said, "No, you don't understand, I drink it all day long, about twelve cans a day. I am addicted to the stuff." I told her that for her, Pepsi was against the WoW and that she should stop before baptism.

From comments by President Hinckley in recent years, I have changed my view and think that cola drinks are against the WoW. Follow the Prophet.

10th Jul, 2007 - 5:50pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (ajholloway @ 10-Jul 07, 1:47 PM)
From comments by President Hinckley in recent years, I have changed my view and think that cola drinks are against the WoW.

I do not recall Pres. Hinckley mentioning that Cola drinks go against the Word of Wisdom or anything of that nature. Would you mind providing the source for such statement?

Rather off topic, but...
We usually try to provide sources when we make claims of some sort, it helps us to study as well as analyze the context of the statement. Thanks.

Post Date: 31st Jul, 2007 - 11:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 11 it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

LDS_forever,

I cannot remember exactly which interview is was, but in one Larry King interview with President Hinckley (there has been more than one Larry King/Pres. Hinckley interview) Pres. Hinckley was asked by Larry King about the Word of Wisdom. I watched to interview firsthand. In response to King's questioning, President Hinckley stated "no caffeine" among the list of other prohibited substances. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the interview to show you, so you'll have to search for it online, or take my word for it.

Concerning Yerba Mate I suggest checking out this link and the links below:

https://www.erowid.org/plants/yerba_mate/ye...hemistry1.shtml

It clearly explains that Mateine (the so-called "not really caffeine" substance found in Yerba Mate) is just another term for caffeine. They are chemically the same; on a molecular level there is zero difference. Yerba Mate is similar in composition to Green Tea, which is prohibited under the Word of Wisdom. Yerba Mate is also similar to coffee in that it contains tannins, which many LDS members tell their non-member friends is one reason Mormons do not drink coffee (tannic acid is used to "tan" and prepare animal hides for use as leather products. Green tea, interestingly, does not contain tannic acid which means it may actually be healthier for human consumption than Yerba Mate.)

Is Yerba Mate permissible because it is not called Yerba "Tea"? "a rose by any other name is still a rose" There seems to be an abundance of evidence that, even though "Tea" (Camellia Sinensis) out of Asia and Yerba Mate from South America are technically not the same plant, the vast number of similarities in their constitution would support the prohibition of Yerba Mate under the Word of Wisdom along with coffee and "tea".

https://ezinearticles.com/?Green-Tea-Versus...-Brew&id=607407

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

https://www.rain-tree.com/yerbamate.htm

1st Aug, 2007 - 12:09am / Post ID: #

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

LDS_forever,

I cannot remember exactly which interview is was, but in one Larry King interview with President Hinckley (there has been more than one Larry King/Pres. Hinckley interview) Pres. Hinckley was asked by Larry King about the Word of Wisdom. I watched to interview firsthand. In response to King's questioning, President Hinckley stated "no caffeine" among the list of other prohibited substances. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the interview to show you, so you'll have to search for it online, or take my word for it.

This is what I found:

CALLER: I was wondering about some of the guidelines in dietary restrictions Mormons live by, and how strictly members follow it. Because I was reading, once, the word of wisdom. My impression was that its major point was that one should respect all life, including animals and, as such, only consume them when absolutely necessary to sustain life, and to then eat them sparingly. But I've noticed that Mormon -- this is rarely followed by Mormons, and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with, as reported by "TIME" magazine.

Larry King: OK, president?

Gordon B. Hinckley: Oh, I don't know. You've read a part of the word of wisdom. The word of wisdom covers many things. It covers the excessive use of meat, as I see it. It covers, in a very particular way, the use of tobacco and alcohol.

Larry King: By saying no?

Gordon B. Hinckley: By saying, by proscribing those things.

Larry King: No to caffeine?

Gordon B. Hinckley: No to caffeine, coffee and tea.

Specifically he is mentioning coffee and tea. No mention of Cola drinks. But I remember reading something like you are describing, but it was not Pres. Hinckley but the interviewer leading questions who mentioned Coke.

It clearly explains that Mateine (the so-called "not really caffeine" substance found in Yerba Mate) is just another term for caffeine. They are chemically the same; on a molecular level there is zero difference. Yerba Mate is similar in composition to Green Tea, which is prohibited under the Word of Wisdom. Yerba Mate is also similar to coffee in that it contains tannins, which many LDS members tell their non-member friends is one reason Mormons do not drink coffee (tannic acid is used to "tan" and prepare animal hides for use as leather products. Green tea, interestingly, does not contain tannic acid which means it may actually be healthier for human consumption than Yerba Mate.)

Is Yerba Mate permissible because it is not called Yerba "Tea"? "a rose by any other name is still a rose" There seems to be an abundance of evidence that, even though "Tea" (Camellia Sinensis) out of Asia and Yerba Mate from South America are technically not the same plant, the vast number of similarities in their constitution would support the prohibition of Yerba Mate under the Word of Wisdom along with coffee and "tea".

I think most members commit the mistake of what is called fallacy of definition. The prohibition is clear: Hot drinks. Full stop. We know through the Prophet that this meant clearly coffee and tea. NOTHING ELSE. The rest are counsels, but NOT a prohibition, the prohibition only (in that particular issue) concerns the tea and the coffee.

I do not drink Cola drinks, neither my husband or my kids...nevertheless, this was entirely a personal choice based on the counsel given by the leaders. If I drink Coke or eat chocolate, I am in no way breaking the Word of Wisdom.

Post Date: 1st Aug, 2007 - 5:07am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well done on finding the transcript to the interview. When I watched it, it seemed very clear to me that the statement "no to caffeine" meant "no to caffeine" period - coffee, tea or otherwise. I suppose what the statement really meant is open to the interpretation of those who saw the interview and those who have later read the transcripts. I do have a question for you though: Are you saying that Yerba Mate is in no way related to "tea", hot or cold, and therefore not in anyway prohibited by the Word of Wisdom (though there are many similarities in composition)? One of the definitions of the word "tea" is: any of various infusions prepared from the leaves, flowers, etc., of other plants, and used as beverages or medicines. When you use the word "tea" what do you mean? Are you strictly referring to the most widely used definition of "tea" which is - the dried and prepared leaves of a shrub, Camellia sinensis, from which a somewhat bitter, aromatic beverage is prepared by infusion in hot water? Just curious, because I am believe I am beginning to see, very clearly, that your interpretation of the Word of Wisdom is - no Camellia sinensis, no coffee, no alcohol, no tobacco. Is this correct?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Aug, 2007 - 5:20am / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it - Page 11

I would just like to point out that this Thread is specifically about Cola drinks with emphasis on Coke, Pepsi, and related drinks. We do in fact have a Discussion called, "Is it OK To Drink Tea?" already in progress that mentions the points you (Monkey) raised, it may be best to continue that there so this Topic remains on its' emphasis.

7th Oct, 2007 - 1:14pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 11

I dont think I am addicted to coke, its not like I drink it all the time just now and then. I did not know it was against the word of wisdom, is it?

> TOPIC: Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,