The Book of Mormon - Page 8 of 16

A recent thought came to mind while giving - Page 8 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Feb, 2004 - 12:23am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 16 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...Latest (16) »

?
Poll: How many times have you read the whole Book of Mormon?
  Never       1.96%
  Once       21.57%
  Twice       19.61%
  Three to Five times       23.53%
  Six to Ten times       17.65%
  Eleven to Sixteen times       5.88%
  Seventeen to Twenty times       1.96%
  Over Twenty times       3.92%
  Over Thirty times       0.00%
  Over Forty times       1.96%
  So many times cannot remember       1.96%
Total Votes: 51
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
What do you know about this sacred Book of Scripture regarded as the foundation of the Mormon faith and what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is built on?
Post Date: 7th Dec, 2003 - 8:40pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon
A Friend

The Book of Mormon - Page 8

QUOTE (Edward @ 7-Nov 03, 11:00 PM)
There is such a thing as fake spirituality and it gets to me, if someone finds the need to get up and tell how great they are by reading the Book of Mormon 30 minutes a day then I know it for what it is, self-aggrandisement.   I don't find it necessary to get up in Church and tell others how many times I go to the Temple, how often I do my Home Teaching or how frequently I read the Book of Mormon.

Hello,

I just added a few more things to a short page I'm writing about the Book of Mormon and the Polynesians, and I wanted if any of you could read it and tell me what you think of it so far.

Here's the link: solo.manuatele.net

I agree with the statement made about the book of mormon, as I quoted. I personally consider myself as inactive as far as church attendance, but, I'm still working hard maintaining my church standards and learning about the church. I do attend church and serve in scouts, but I could, and should do more.

Have a great day!
smile.gif

Sponsored Links:
4th Feb, 2004 - 9:42pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Book The

We have a thread to discuss the Kon-Tiki Theory in the Religion, Culture & Tradition board. Why don't you post your request for comments there. Kon-Tiki Theory

I have not moved your post to that thread because you also speak of the Book of Mormon and this topic. However, anyone who wishes to comment on your manuscript should probably do so in the Kon-Tiki Theory thread and not here. That way we can keep this thread on topic.

Offtopic but,
You call yourself inactive, but say you attend Church. To me that is active, even if there is more you could do to be a "better" member. wink.gif

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 4th Feb, 2004 - 9:44pm

Post Date: 24th Feb, 2004 - 7:17am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon
A Friend

The Book of Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

Having the books on tape as someone else here already stated is a wonderful thing. Several years ago I started driving a truck cross country. I had read the scriptures, all of the standard works when I was in my youth but had not continued the practice into adulthood. You know, life kind of got in the way of it. My mother gave me a copy of the new testament on tape. That got me started again. Before long I had all of the standard works on tape. As I was required to drive a minimum of 10 hours a day I went through those tapes pretty quickly. A little over a day and a half and I was through the BoM. Eventually I compiled quite a large library of tapes. 6 years worth of General conferences. A huge amount of stuff from FARMS. Other lecture series. Gerald Lunds "The work and the Glory" all of the volumes on tape. Then I picked up a lap top to carry with me and bought a copy of gospel link.

I soon found that I could go through the BoM or any other standard work and concentrate on a particular topic. I carried a small hand held tape recorder. Every time I heard a passage regarding the specific topic I was concentrating on I would make a dictation in the tape recorder of approximately where the passage was. Then when I stopped for the evening I would spend a couple of hours with the laptop and Gospel link researching and cross referencing the notes I had dictated throughout the day.

I did that for 3 years. It was probably one of the largest spiritual growth periods in my life. I still continue to study by the same method but as I no longer drive a truck in that manner and have a "real" job my time is much more limited for study.

Of course now I can have a "real" calling and provide "real" service and have a "real" family because I am not gone for 6 to 8 weeks at a time.

I guess it is a pretty fair trade off.

RC3

24th Feb, 2004 - 1:51pm / Post ID: #

Page 8 Mormon Book The

What a great use of that time spent on the road! How many of those truckers don't use that time for anything but driving? I know what it's like to commute for a couple of hours a day, and I've done lecture tapes etc, but it was when I was not active in the church and so they were "self-help" tapes and novels. I can't imagine 10 hours a day -- eeeek!

If I were sitll in a position where I had to drive long distances, the tapes would be a great way to get my "scripture reading" fix smile.gif Thanks for sharing that, RC

Roz

25th Feb, 2004 - 1:46pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Book The

Avraham Gileadi is writing a weekly Gospel Doctrine supplement, with in-depth analysis of the literary structures and messages contained within the Book of Mormon. If you are interested, go to:
www.latterdaylight.com to sign up.

Now, is his commentary going to be helpful? Personally, I think it is.

In his book, The Last Days: Types and Shadows from the Bible and the Book of Mormon, he provides some incredible insight into a hidden message of the Book of Mormon. Essentially, he points out that in 1 Nephi 13 and 14, Nephi began to talk about the "great and marvelous work" of the Lord. Most of us normally consider the "great and marvelous work" to be the Restoration through Joseph Smith. However, that doesn't work well with Nephi's discussion of it in 1 Nephi 14. It is true that the Restoration is the beginning or "commencement" of the Great and Marvelous work, but it isn't the completion of it.

In chapters 13 and 14, Nephi outlines several prophetic events, including the discovery of the Americas by Columbus, the scattering of the Lamanites, and the Restoration. He picks up the theme again in chapter 22. But what is interesting is that the second discourse is similar but different. The second discourse emphasizes the closing scenes (the wrath of God descending on the nations, etc).

In between these two discourses on future events, Nephi inserts some biographical, "journeying" narratives, and two Isaiah chapters. See 1 Nephi 20 and 21 to find out that these two chapters speak of the destruction of the wicked and the restoration of the tribes of Israel.

Based on this structure, and the fact that similar structures are found throughout Isaiah (Nephi's "mentor" in the scriptures), perhaps we can find another message, an explanation about the Great and Marvelous work in these chapters.

Anyway, as Bro. Gileadi goes through the Book of Mormon in these supplements, you will likely find even more in-depth analysis, opening up new meanings in this most important book.

NightHawk

25th Feb, 2004 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon

RC, great way to spend time! smile.gif I used to think that it was kind of silly to buy the scriptures on tape but then hearing so many people have such great experiences with it, it made me think twice. wink.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Feb, 2004 - 11:23pm / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon - Page 8

I had the new testament on tape, but I gave it away after listening to it. I listen to a lot of books on tape. Scriptures on tape are a great way to read through the scriptures in their entirety. For most people, it isn't a great way to do the actual studying. What RC did, I think is exceptional.

26th Feb, 2004 - 12:23am / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 8

A recent thought came to mind while giving a talk on 'The Scriptures - A Defense' last Sunday... what would we have to do to get more scripture, or should I say, what will the Church have to do in order for more of the Ancient scripture to be revealed, translated and made available for the Saints. Think about the sealed portion of the Book of Mormon, what could be in there that we were not worthy of it? I would be anxious to see it. I often wonder if it did not contain information related to the temple. After all if Lehi was take all knowledge across the deep, then surely there must be information from the Ancients in there. Have you ever thought about that?

> TOPIC: The Book of Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,