Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? - Page 3 of 7

One thought. When you are shaved - you are - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th Jul, 2006 - 5:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Mormon Hair Temple workers are required to have no facial hair and most likely the same is true for the General Authorities. Missionaries carry the same rule, but you do see the occasional Bishop or Stake President with a mustache or beard. What do you think? Should it be a rule in the Church?
Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? Related Information to Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?
6th Aug, 2004 - 2:51pm / Post ID: #

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? - Page 3

While searching for something else, I came across with this statement about beards:

"Now may I make a personal reference, which I"ll try to treat in such a way as to preserve the confidentiality. It involved a beautiful, young wife and mother from a prominent family. She had gone away from her home and was now in the East. She had gone out into an area where she and her husband had taken up with those in the ghetto, and she wrote me a rather interesting letter, and I quote only a paragraph: "Tomorrow my husband will shave off his long, full beard. Because of the request of the stake president and your direction in the Priesthood Bulletin, he must not have the appearance of evil or rebellion if he is to get a recommend to go to the temple. I have wept anguished tears; the faces of Moses and Jacob were bearded, and to me the wisdom and spirituality of the old prophets reflected from the face of my own spiritual husband. It was like cutting out for me a symbol of the good things my generation has learned." Then the letter concluded with a challenge to me:[b] "We are prepared for clear, specific, hard-line direction as youth. Wishy-washy implications are not heard very well here. We look to you to tell it straight."

"I don't know whether she knew just what she was asking for when she asked me to tell it straight, but these are some things I wrote to her: "In your letter you address me as, "Dear President Lee," and in your first sentence you refer to me as the Lord's prophet. Now, in your letter you tell me that you are saddened because with the shaving off of the beard and the cutting of the hair, which, to you, made your husband appear as the prophets Moses and Jacob, he would no longer bear that resemblance. I wonder if you might not be wiser to think of following the appearance of the prophets of today. President David O. McKay had no beard or long hair; neither did President Joseph Fielding Smith; and neither does your humble servant whom you have acknowledged as the Lord's prophet.

" The inconsistency in your letter has made me reflect upon an experience that I had in the mission field when, in company with some missionaries and the mission president, we were at Carthage Jail, where the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph and his brother, Hyrum, took place. In that meeting there were recounted the events that led up to their martyrdom. Then the mission president made some significant comments. He said, "When the Prophet Joseph Smith died there were many who died spiritually with Joseph." Likewise there were many who died spiritually with Brigham Young, and so with others of the presidents of the Church, because they chose to follow the man who had passed on, rather than giving allegiance to his successor upon whom the mantle of leadership had been given by the Lord's appointment."

"And then I asked her, "Are you following, in looks, prophets who lived hundreds of years ago? Are you really true to your faith as a member of the Church in failing to look to those who preside in the Church today? Why is it that you want your husband to look like Moses and Jacob, rather than to look like the modern prophets to whom you are expressing allegiance? If you will give this sober thought, your tears will dry, and you"ll begin to have some new thoughts." ("Be Loyal to the Royal Within You, President Harold B Lee " Speeches of the Year, Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University Press, 1974, pp. 97-98.)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Aug, 2004 - 8:39pm / Post ID: #

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?
A Friend

Bearded Shaven Mormons

This no beard policy sounds like the same attitude the Jews had back in the time of Christ. They made strict rules for everything and Jesus had to show them the right way. I wonder if he would do the same with us today. There are too many things we need to focus on with regards to the well being of our families, friends etc. We need to work on proclaiming the gospel, redeeming the dead and perfecting the saints. We don't need to be spending our time as beard policeman. Maybe I'll request that to be my next church calling, Stake beard policeman. I'll promise to magnify my calling and visit evey bearded man in the stake, active and inactive and call him to repentance

7th Aug, 2004 - 3:14am / Post ID: #

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I find this focus on beards to be very interesting. President Lee apparently pointed out that we should be following the living prophet, rather than the dead prophets. That is very well, but I thought we were supposed to use Jesus as the ultimate example. And every description I have ever heard about Jesus includes the idea that He is bearded.

Hmmmmmm.

7th Aug, 2004 - 1:02pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Bearded Shaven Mormons

While I accept the notion that we should do as our prophets tell us, I doubt seriously that the Savior cares one way or the other whether we have bearded or clean shaven men in our midst. I believe that the notion that you must be clean shaven to serve a mission or work in the Temple is based upon what men of this generation feel is acceptable both to society as a whole as well as based upon the prejudices of their experiences in life. I think we must be obedient if we want to serve missions or serve as as an ordinance worker in the Temple. However, in my opinion that is the entire issue: whether or not we will be obedient, or if we will dig in our heels and say no, this is of man, and then allow ourselves to be denied the blessings of missionary or temple service.

7th Aug, 2004 - 1:15pm / Post ID: #

Bearded Shaven Mormons

Tenaheff said: whether or not we will be obedient, or if we will dig in our heels and say no, this is of man, and then allow ourselves to be denied the blessings of missionary or temple service.

That is the key in my opinion. Gaucho made some good points even though it was sarcastic, but we can also look at it in a different light, how trivial a thing it would be if we did consider if to have a beard or not and then end up loosing out in greater blessings as Tena pointed out. If we just see this as a test of obedience it will make more sense than worrying about the philosophical reasons for it. Lastly, I believe I mentioned this before... someone once told me (not verified) that they asked Pres. Lee about the issue of Christ having a beard and us not by asking... 'Didn't Christ have a beard?' to which he (Lee) answered something like... 'Not anymore!'. It is interesting to note that the Angels as portrayed in most every painting do not have any facial hair save for the brows.

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2004 - 5:04pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Earlier, I have often wondered about the obsession with hair and beards (hey white shirts fit in this category too!), We all judge people initially to some degree based on appearance, but neither is something that matters much to me. I used to wonder about why there was so much emphasis on it, especially when the Savior said that what was on the inside was much more important than what was on the outside. It is my personal opinion that the emphasis is way overdone; however, I have to agree with the earlier message on obedience:

"Behold to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams." 1 Samuel 15:22

It is also not my place to correct leaders when they make statements or select a course of action, regardless of my personal opinions. We read:

"And the arm of the Lord shall be revealed; and the day cometh that they who will not hear the voice of the Lord, neither the voice of his servants, neither give heed to the words of the prophets and apostles, shall be cut off from among the people" Doctrine and Covenants 1:14

It is not my job to steady the ark. I will continue to do my best to not judge others because of their appearance or facial hair and I doubt that my personal opinion will change much; but at the same time I will choose to be obedient and be clean shaven with a white shirt and when asked, encourage others to do likewise. I am willing to sacrifice a little for the great privilege of membership in this Church. At the minimum, my willingness to be obedient won't stand in the way of deepening my own spirituality.

Reconcile Edited: rbogart on 26th Sep, 2004 - 5:05pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2004 - 9:23pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormons Shaven Bearded - Page 3

I have enjoyed this hairy discussion! (there is so much hair in the world!!) I don't think that the prophets prohibit beards in situations of people being missionaries because they don't like them, i think it might be because some investigators, have prejudices pre-baptism, towards beards; this may put them off listening to the message. It sounds stupid, but think of all the petty ways satan trys to put people off! Also older people respond better to clean shaven young men perhaps (since the 50's), rather than people who look like tramps ready to break through and steal (no offence to any beard lovers or wearers) Also beards are not fashionable for young people so much these days (*except in Manchester, England in the last few weeks) so lots of people may be suspicious of bearded missionaries from a supposed strange and different church. (what are they hiding in there?) From this perspective i guess if we are proselyting for a perceived 'strange' church we want to, as missionaries, look as normal as we can and fit in as much as possible. Soas to give every chance that the person may listen to our message. The same idea can be applied to the side-part as the least threatening of all hair-cuts! As for the temple worker i am not entirely sure! but i trust our leaders. smile.gif

Reconcile Edited: ghumph on 26th Sep, 2004 - 9:27pm

28th Jul, 2006 - 5:37pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Shaven Bearded Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

One thought. When you are shaved - you are shaved and there are no variations to it unless you are worried about how closely you are shaved, but when having facial hair there are many styles, versions and lengths. We live in an era where extremes are often seen as normal. For simplicity sake I believe the admonition to shave is just to not have policies about beard lengths, etc. Could you imagine someone going around measuring a beard with a ruler to see if it is too long?

I once saw a man in the temple with a curious mustache, it was long and curled liked a coil on the ends - like something you would see out of the Wild West - he used some kind of gel to keep it tight too. I often think about that guy when I read Topics like this and wonder wether he was able to shave it off in order to keep working in the temple?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,