Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? - Page 4 of 7

I wasn't worked up. I saw you were - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Sep, 2006 - 8:23pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Mormon Hair Temple workers are required to have no facial hair and most likely the same is true for the General Authorities. Missionaries carry the same rule, but you do see the occasional Bishop or Stake President with a mustache or beard. What do you think? Should it be a rule in the Church?
Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? Related Information to Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?
Post Date: 29th Jul, 2006 - 12:46pm / Post ID: #

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?
A Friend

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? - Page 4

To me, this is the reality of it: Nowdays, "extreme" hairstyles stand for something different. We have the proper tools to be well-trimmed, and the members of the church represent the church itself (especially missionaries and leaders). To the public, a clean appearence would stand for a clean way of living. If we can help it, we should. If we don't have the money to get a haircut, or if we don't have the tools, I don't think it is necessary (though other members would probably offer to cut it for them, which would leave them with not much of an option.) We represent the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and we shouldn't see ourselves as people who identify with the "world". It's a form of discipline, and a way to let down that wall of pride. After all, is it really "your body"?

Reconcile Edited: dbclayton on 29th Jul, 2006 - 12:47pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 12th Sep, 2006 - 3:07pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Bearded Shaven Mormons

This is an interesting topic to me. I am an active member of the Church. In the last 14 years I have been in a Branch Presidency 3 times, Young Men's President 3 times, Branch Mission Leader, Elder's Quorum President, taught early morning Seminary for 3 years, Gospel Doctrine Instructor, and am now the Executive Secretary in my Ward. I have held a temple recommend and attended the temple on many occasions.

During ALL of these callings I have had a beard. I keep it trimmed short, as well as my hair. It is not for rebellious reasons, but because I get in-grown hairs on my face that cause red bumps and are rather painful when I shave with a razor. The bumps make it difficult to shave. I don't know why, it's just always been that way.

Elder Bednar used to be my Stake President. He interviewed me for temple recommends and callings, set me apart in callings, and saw me many, many times in leadership meetings and such. He never once mentioned or asked about my beard. I don't even recall him ever looking at it. Trust me, if Elder (then President) Bednar thought something personal about you he would tell you in a loving manner. His motto is "one-by-one" and he certainly would have told me my beard was a problem if he felt it was. I have known no one in my life that even remotely understood Church guidelines and governance as much as he does. If beards were a problem he WOULD have told me.

In fact, I have known my wife for 15 years and she has never seen me without a beard.

However, the first time a Priesthood leader, ANY Priesthood leader, asks me to shave it off I will. Because one Bishop or Stake President does not ask you to shave does not mean the next one won't. I believe they are allowed to have preferences. If it is his preference, even if not doctrine on issues like this, I will gladly support and sustain him by shaving if he asks. I may mention the problem I have with in-grown hairs, but I will do it if he wants me to.

This is an interesting topic, though. I have enjoyed reading all your comments. Thank you.

12th Sep, 2006 - 5:44pm / Post ID: #

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Justice said:

However, the first time a Priesthood leader, ANY Priesthood leader, asks me to shave it off I will. Because one Bishop or Stake President does not ask you to shave does not mean the next one won't. I believe they are allowed to have preferences. If it is his preference, even if not doctrine on issues like this, I will gladly support and sustain him by shaving if he asks

If it is the personal "preference" of that particular leader as you put it without doctrinal or even higher authority, why would you do it? I mean if it is a personal preference only. If the same leader asks you to wear a pink tie with blue dots on it JUST because he likes it and is his personal preference, would you do it? I am not trying to imply disobedient towards the leaders, but when the matters are of personal preference as you mentioned, then personal choice should take place.

I am not a man but if I was, I would try my best to follow the counsels of my leaders with regards to facial hair as long as it is not just "because they like it that way", after all I am not a doll who someone can just put anything on because "they like it".

Post Date: 12th Sep, 2006 - 6:03pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 4 Bearded Shaven Mormons

Simply because there is evidence to suggest, and a fairly consistent example set by leaders, that having a beard might be frowned upon today. If they ALL wore pink ties and missionaries all had to wear pink ties, then there might be something to pink ties. As silly as that may sound, all the brethren wear white shirts and counsel us to do the same. It's not Church doctrine, I suppose. Some people do not feel they "must" wear a white shirt to Sacrament meeting. Some Bishop's will let people wearing blue shirts bless and pass the Sacrament, some will not. It is a preference.

If my Priesthood leader's preference is for me to wear a white shirt and shave, I have no reason not to (exept the in-grown hairs).

12th Sep, 2006 - 6:13pm / Post ID: #

Bearded Shaven Mormons

Simply because there is evidence to suggest, and a fairly consistent example set by leaders, that having a beard might be frowned upon today.

Good, then knowing that why do you have to wait for the leader to come to you and ask you to shave?

If they ALL wore pink ties and missionaries all had to wear pink ties, then there might be something to pink ties. As silly as that may sound, all the brethren wear white shirts and counsel us to do the same. It's not Church doctrine, I suppose. Some people do not feel they "must" wear a white shirt to Sacrament meeting. Some Bishop's will let people wearing blue shirts bless and pass the Sacrament, some will not. It is a preference.

Correct, what I was saying before was about that particular leader asking me personally and only me to wear something HE wants just because he likes it. I have no problem with preferences as long as is apply to everybody, in any case, I would expect a logical reasoning behind the request.

Post Date: 12th Sep, 2006 - 7:18pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 12-Sep 06, 1:13 PM)
Good, then knowing that why do you have to wait for the leader to come to you and ask you to shave?

I don't really understand your reply.

It sounds like you're criticizing me for not shaving. Before I respond I would like to know if you are, or if I need to understand your words another way.

To clarify: I have said that I believe it is up to your Priesthood leader. I have said I get in-grown hairs and stated that as my reason for not shaving, and I said even with in-grown hairs I would shave if my Priesthood leader asks. I have not contradicted myself nor put myself in opposition with the Church or any of its teachings.

So, I believe I have answered the question already. I'm not sure why you would ask a question I have already answered unless my answers were unsuitable to you. Maybe you don't understand what in-grown hairs are and what they do?

Let me know if I can clarify anything I have said to avoid any misunderstandings.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Sep, 2006 - 8:00pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Shaven Bearded - Page 4

Justice, relax. I did not intend to criticize you at all. English is my second language and I may sound aggressive but that's my style of writing and should not be taken personal. I can assure you that I don't bite wink.gif. I don't know you and even if I would know you, I would not do it (criticize you) simply because I am okay if members wear beards, mustaches and even pink shirts if they want to.

My reason for asking the question is that I fully understand your reason for keeping a beard, what I do not fully grasp is that if any leader asks you to do it even though you said, may not have doctrine behind it but is just his personal preference, you said you would shave it even though you will have this problem of in-grown hairs. Then, if the counsel of the leaders (who already have spoken on the matter)is more important than your in-grown hair, why are you going to do it if any leader tell you to shave when you know already how the Brethren feel about it?

These are your words:

Simply because there is evidence to suggest, and a fairly consistent example set by leaders, that having a beard might be frowned upon today

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 12th Sep, 2006 - 8:22pm

Post Date: 12th Sep, 2006 - 8:23pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormons Shaven Bearded Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

I wasn't worked up. smile.gif

I saw you were flying a foreign flag (to me) so I figured it might be a language barrier. That's why I asked for clarification. I was expressing my feelings, not showing my emotions.

I understand your question better now, and I feel I have an answer.

It is why we follow the prophet. Many people in the world say, "I would never follow a man, only God." But, to anyone who believes there is a prophet, and proper Priesthood authority, and a "chain of command," believe that they must follow the voice "of His servants, whether by [His] own voice or by [their's], it is the same."

For this reason we can safely say that when we follow our Priesthood leaders and their counsel is wrong, it is their responsibility, not ours. They will be held accountable for giving wrong instruction as a Priesthood holder, but you will be held accountable for your obedience.

Now, we have to be prudent. I believe this is where your concern is coming from. If our Priesthood leader asked us to do something that was clearly against God's law or the Church, then we would have to question it to that Church leader. But, if there is no clear precedent or command concerning the thing, then we have a choice. My choice is to follow my Priesthood leader's preference. Others may choose differently. Others can question. But, in my view it is my responsibility to be obedient in those instances and he is responsible for asking me to do it.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,