Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? - Page 6 of 7

Name: Gbl Country: Title: Beards Comments: - Page 6 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Sep, 2011 - 8:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 7 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 
Mormon Hair Temple workers are required to have no facial hair and most likely the same is true for the General Authorities. Missionaries carry the same rule, but you do see the occasional Bishop or Stake President with a mustache or beard. What do you think? Should it be a rule in the Church?
Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? Related Information to Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?
13th Sep, 2006 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? - Page 6

Nighthawk, good points. Actually I was trying to tell Justice that I understand his medical condition and that I personally do not care the beard issue, to me it should not matter whether someone wants to grow a beard like Brigham Young if they want to or is clean shaved, nevertheless it does NOT mean the Brethren have counsel otherwise. I am glad I am a woman. tongue.gif

Sponsored Links:
13th Sep, 2006 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

Bearded Shaven Mormons

QUOTE (LDS_forever)
I am glad I am a woman.

Funny you should bring it up as I have seen Sisters with mush and hairs under their chin and one has to wonder if a policy needs to be introduced for that too. Do they teach hygiene / appeal in Relief Society? In the LDS Activity Board one of the Threads does discuss this issue at Youth Sunday School level, but I think by the time you reach Relief Society that a woman would know facial hair is not kosher?

13th Sep, 2006 - 1:14am / Post ID: #

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? Studies Doctrine Mormon

JB, you are something else! laugh.gif Actually I do not recall any recent lessons in the Relief Society about personal hygiene/appeal (they used to do it in the old times) but we have Enrichment Meetings and Monthly Activities where those issues are always discussed.

Post Date: 13th Sep, 2006 - 1:21am / Post ID: #

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?
A Friend

Page 6 Bearded Shaven Mormons

Interesting. I guess I never looked into it. I'll research it. Thank you.

By the way, I keep it 1/4 inch to 3/8 at the longest, and I trim it to that length several times a week. I would keep it shorter, but it just ends up looking like 5 o'clock shadow.

I try hard not to judge people. If I see someone doing something different, or that looks different, I do my best to look beyond any differences and try to see the person. I think that is the real message of Christ.

Offtopic but,
JB@Trinidad, you made this comment, "this place and it's input is a bit bigger than you think."

I'm curious what you meant by that. Can you explain?

Message Edited!
JB@Trinidad: Please learn to use Offtopic Tags. You NEED to read your intro Thread and the Replies to learn more about this Community.

Post Date: 3rd Aug, 2010 - 11:57pm / Post ID: #

Bearded Shaven Mormons

Name: Smith

Comments: I have been tempted a couple of times to show up with a mustache or beard just to see everyone's eyes focus on it rather than me.

6th Aug, 2010 - 1:55pm / Post ID: #

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?

international QUOTE (JoePublic @ 3-Aug 10, 11:57 PM)
OhComments: I have been tempted a couple of times to show up with a mustache or beard just to see everyone's eyes focus on it rather than me.

I don't understand what would that accomplished. We are in modern times and if we want to know how important is grooming maybe we should look at our general authorities do you see anyone with a beard?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 11th Aug, 2011 - 11:49am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mormons Shaven Bearded - Page 6

Will Mormons stop bristling at beards?

When LDS apostle Heber J. Grant arrived in England in 1903 to oversee the Utah-based faith's evangelizing abroad, his predecessor had required missionaries to grow beards as a symbol of their maturity and dignity. A few days into Grant's assignment, a timid missionary inquired as to whether he might be allowed to shave and Grant, the future Mormon prophet, readily agreed. Ref. Source 1

Post Date: 15th Sep, 2011 - 8:09pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Shaven Bearded Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 6

Name: Gbl

Title: Beards

Comments: While on my mission I was in an area that was having their centennial celebration. For the celebration they required all men to forgo shaving in the months preceding the anniversary date. The penalty was to be locked up for the day, fined $5 and allowed to drink all the beer you could ingest. (Hey, it was Upper Michigan!) It was all in humor, kind of. This was written up in the newspaper. I clipped it out, sent it to the Mission President and inquired as to what we should do. At our next zone meeting he pulled me aside and said my companion and I could grow the facial hair until we were transferred. That we did!

I've had a goatee/mustache for about 12 years. Started it while in the High Council. Been through several Stake Presidents and many bishops and have had it in numerous callings. As of right now I have it as the HPGL. If my Stake President asks me to shave it, I will laugh and say "you're joking" but I'll do it. I think it helps with my looks...and I need all the help I can get.

Years ago I was in LeGrand Richards office and there was a portrait behind him with a handsome man who had a goatee/mustache. I told him I thought the portrait was great and asked him about it and he said it was George F. Richards, who also was president of the quorum of twelve. He said it was his favorite likeness of his father.

It seems a ridiculous issue but should not be used to exacerbate what is really a nothingness. No reason to make a mountain out of a molehill. If it is not really a rational or inspired policy, forgive your leaders (who are imperfect), love them, stay steadfast with truth and go on.

One of my favorite pioneer characters was Levi Savage (I understand they have a movie about him out west now) who was in the Willey Company. He was the lone voice of dissention as the company was discussing whether to leave early and said, "What I have said I know to be true; but seeing you are to go forward, I will go with you, will help all I can, will work with you, will rest with you, and if necessary, will die with you. May God in his mercy bless and preserve us." He was later chastised by some of the leaders for saying so. Through it all he did the right thing, continued to speak and say truth, yet sacrificed for others and forgave others.

I love my facial hair...but it's not a big thing in life.

+  « First of 7 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,