Atheists Not To Be Feared! - Page 6 of 21

Armstrong, if it is impossible for you to - Page 6 - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 27th Feb, 2006 - 3:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 21 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (21) »
New look at Atheists and their thinking - Atheism - Athiest - Do Not Believe In God
Atheists Not To Be Feared! Related Information to Atheists Not To Be Feared!
2nd Jul, 2005 - 2:50pm / Post ID: #

Atheists Not To Be Feared! - Page 6

As I said at the start, there is a problem in communicating our ideas, not only because we see things from a different perspective, but from a different starting point.

I read all the last messages and I cannot understand why you are confusing the purpose of this thread. This thread is not about whether Atheists are right or not, or whether their principles are correct or incorrect or whether religious people have valid reasons for their opinions or not. This thread is about "Atheists Not to Be Feared!" because we all know the stereotypes people in general has with regards to Atheists. I do not understand also what do you find so "humorous", after all, you said Atheists are more "tolerable" of other's people ideas than religious people but if you find someone's religious ideas "humorous" or "got a few laughs" it shows to me a lack of respect and maturity even if it is not intended that way. I personally do not find any "humour" on how Atheists perceive things because I respect their opinions and I know it will not make them comfortable to know someone is laughing at their ideas, not to mention is childish. But maybe as you clearly stated in your last message the reason is that you're cynical by nature but please do not forget the purpose of this thread. It is not about proving right from wrong is about showing that Atheists if they want to and the community in general, are "normal" people who just think differently.

Sponsored Links:
2nd Jul, 2005 - 2:56pm / Post ID: #

Feared To Atheists

And I must say that I find your opinion that atheists are more prone to disregard law rather ridiculous. As for what you call greater knowledge, I strongly suspect the term would mean something else to an atheist, so perhaps you should find a more suitable one, to avoid misunderstanding.

Isn't this all ironic from someone that is not a full pledged atheist? Believe me, I am using the correct term, however I will mention that if you cannot converse without the use of cynicism or staying on topic then refrain from replying. As I said before the thread is not about me - I do not have to defend nothing here - we are on the Religions Board not the Atheist Board.

Post Date: 23rd Jan, 2006 - 10:21am / Post ID: #

Atheists Not To Be Feared!
A Friend

Atheists Not To Be Feared! Beliefs Religious General

Wow, can't believe I missed this thread.

After sifting through the mounds of responses and counter responses, I think I have something to lend to the actual purpose of this thread.

The reason people fear atheists, if thats what you can call it, is because they tend to obstinate and intolerable about what they believe. Most atheists I know leave no room for their beliefs to be wrong, and they are thus very 'angry' and 'objectionable' about it.

However, the idea that this is strictly related to atheism is simply something misconstrewed by religious people in general. I have met just as my religious people or 'true believers' that are just as obstinate and intolerable to those who don't follow the same faith as them. This helps create some attitude between atheists and believers.

Many atheists used to be believers and have now moved away from that, often with very bad memories and situations left in the church. This leaves a nasty stereotype of the church in their mind. This causes them to be angry and then causes them to intimidate those who believe. This results in head butting and conflict between atheists and believers. When neither is willing to move, and parties get angry, the one who can yell the loudest wins. Unfortunately, many atheists are prone to anger towards believers of any faith because of their past situations thus leading believers to see them as bullies or threatening when it is simply that the believers have hit a sore spot.

It really has nothing to do with morals as I have outlined above. I am able to overcome my sore spots with pure logic and reasoning and the desire for true dialogue, but many can not do this. Another possible reason for anger between the two that leads to 'fear' is the irrelevant desire to be right no matter what the cost. Why? Because atheists must be absolutely right because if they aren't and the believer is, then the consequences are eternal. Its hard to stay calm in the face of such a daunting eternity if you aren't a hundred percent sure you are right. Which leads to my final point.

I have never met a true 100% dedicated atheist. You cannot truly be a dedicated atheist in all phases of life. It is against logic to deny somethings existence based on your own senses. Your senses can deceive you. Many atheists are fighting the desire to believe that some god exists in some form. That internal fight leads to external aggression, usually towards those who aggravate that condition, believers.

I hope my take on this has been helpful in allowing both believers and atheists to see each other in a different light. Open dialogue about religion is the only way that we can ever get along. We must not fear each other, but welcome open conversation regarding each others beliefs, understanding that we all cannot be right. But we cannot all be wrong either.....

23rd Jan, 2006 - 9:59pm / Post ID: #

Page 6 Feared To Atheists

Here is something I have noticed. People who have lost their faith should not be confused with atheists. Most of the Atheists. I know tend to pick on, or joke about or put down religion as a whole. People who have lost their faith, in my experience, do not. People who have lost their faith have lost it for a reason. They don't object to people who have religion. Whereas most atheists I have met do. Why? I will not hazard a guess.

Post Date: 27th Feb, 2006 - 1:40pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Feared To Atheists

I would like to clear this up straight away the only reason I am an atheist is because I require proof of a greater being and I don't see how God could just appear from nowhere and create earth that doesn't make sense. However I understand and agree with the advice from many different religions but the prospect of there being something out there controlling us or guiding us or whatever it maybe, outrageous without proof. you want me to believe in God prove it.

That is the only reason I am an atheist not because I am a criminal not because I have a problem with authority or anything else for that matter. I just thought I would clear that up.

27th Feb, 2006 - 2:10pm / Post ID: #

the only reason I am an atheist is because I require proof of a greater being

the prospect of there being something out there controlling us or guiding us or whatever it maybe, outrageous without proof. you want me to believe in God prove it.

Armstrong, based on these two statements then you are not an Atheist but an Agnostic. Atheists do not believe in the existence of God or supreme being, period. The agnostic does not believe in the existence of such God either unless it is proven to them.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 27th Feb, 2006 - 2:57pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Atheists To Feared! - Page 6

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 27-Feb 06, 9:10 AM)

Armstrong, based on these two statements then you are not an Atheist but an Agnostic. Atheists do not believe in the existence of God or supreme being, period. The agnostic does not believe in the existence of such God either unless it is proven to them.

For it to be proven is impossible so I am only trying to be optimistic in my thoughts trying to accept new possibilities while quietly not believing in god or anything else.
I assure I know what I believe in and the meanings of most religions. And I believe that we are all our own beings, that we are all here simply for the sake of existing nothing more nothing less. In my personal opinion it is pointless to hide behind the fact there could be a God. So as I said and meant I do not believe in God until it is proven because how can you not believe something that has been proven.

27th Feb, 2006 - 3:09pm / Post ID: #

Atheists To Feared! General Religious Beliefs - Page 6

Armstrong, if it is impossible for you to be proven the existence of God then why do you say you try to accept "new" possibilities? If there is no God, there is no God period...there is not such thing as "new possibilities" or prove for it within an Atheist mindset. If you know there is no God then you are an Atheist and need not need for prove of any kind since as you put it is "impossible to prove". Nothing to do with optimism.

So as I said and meant I do not believe in God until it is proven

See what I am talking about? This is Agnostic, not Atheism. If there is even a rare, VERY remote possibility to be proven (and it seems to me you may think there is because even though you said it is "impossible" you still have some type of "hope" that can be proven) then you're not an Atheist. Otherwise, you will just say you do not believe in God, that there is no need for prove because you know there is not such a thing.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 27th Feb, 2006 - 3:10pm

> TOPIC: Atheists Not To Be Feared!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,