Mormon Sisters Working? - Page 5 of 6

In answer to Liahona's question, we - Page 5 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 14th Jul, 2011 - 7:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

?
Poll: Do you feel the mother of the home should work?
  Yes, I see nothing wrong with it       39.29%
  Yes, Only if it is absolutely necessary       50.00%
  Yes, but part-time only       0.00%
  Yes, if the husband wants it       0.00%
  No, a mother should be home       10.71%
  No, women should be home       0.00%
Total Votes: 28
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
The provider at home. Should the husband / father be the sole bread winner? Controversial Mormon Issue.
5th Apr, 2006 - 12:29pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working? - Page 5

I was always very resentful of the other children in school when they would ask what my mother did and I said she was a mother. They would say "what else is she?" I would get very frustrated because I believed and still do that a mother is just that. A mother. She is responsible for more than anyone with an outside job. She created life AND is responsible for how they become people.

I understand, I promise I do, about women who have no choice and have to work and the heartache that causes them. I pray for working mothers every day that they might have some peace that God understands and loves them for their choices.

I agree with so many posters here, especially LDS_Forever, JB, and FarSeer. If there is "force" in any aspect of marriage, there will be bad feelings. There has to be serious conversation before marriage to be sure both are 'on the same page.' That doesn't mean that you go into marriage saying, 'we will be divorced in two years and I will have to struggle with our child.' But, these things happen unfortunately to the people without control. I pray for you constantly. smile.gif

Sponsored Links:
22nd Nov, 2006 - 6:22pm / Post ID: #

Working Sisters Mormon

I have obtained a testimony about this. I am a teacher and last year I quit my job because I was pregnant and my job was a stressful one. I was very concerned about how are needs would be met because it seems like every time both of us were working things were a little better yet we always end up kind of struggling but I since I quit, Heavenly Father has blessed us so much! We were able to have our baby in a private hospital (public hospitals are NOT an option here), the baby has everything he needs, we were able to get a lot of material things we needed and the Lord blessed us with a regular income from one of our clients, plus the ads we run in our sites and other projects. We could not achieved such a thing when both of us were working.

Pure coincidence or the hand of the Lord?

Post Date: 26th Jun, 2011 - 5:15pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mormon Sisters Working? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Blending motherhood and working: Moms work by choice - and also out of necessity

For some women, employment is an escape, a social network and an outlet for creative passions and energies. But for Abbott, who's about to be a single mom, it's just another reminder that she's not where she wants to be. "I really always just wanted to be a wife and mother," she said. "But life doesn't always happen the way you want it." Ref. Source 8

Post Date: 5th Jul, 2011 - 7:01pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?
A Friend

Page 5 Working Sisters Mormon

I like that quote, "Life doesn't always happen the way you want it." Life can be challenging and difficult, but wonderful at the same time. I believe it is up to individual families to be guided by the spirit to do what is best for their family as circumstances vary. You can receive personal revelation for your family. I do not judge a family that has a mother working out of the home full time. I have been blessed to be at home with my children. We have six young boys ranging in age from 2-11. I have always worked as a piano teacher in my home. I have been a piano teacher for over 20 years. I began at age 14. When in college, I wanted to find a career that I could do at home AND raise my children. I received my degree in Office Technology with a medical emphasis. I am a trained Medical Transcriptionist, transcribing medical data for various doctors. I am also able to code for health insurance billing and other paperwork as well. During rough times, an opportunity has usually come up for me to help meet our needs--usually through getting more piano students or receiving a transcription job for a doctor at home.

I have ALWAYS taught piano while my children were little, and still do. I have worked off and on as a medical transcriptionist at home which has helped pay the bills when we needed a little boost. It always seems like when we needed a little extra money, an opportunity approaches to make a little more to provide for our basic needs. Air conditioning in Arizona gets pretty expensive during the summer. I am sure it is a blessing of paying our tithing. My husband has a degree in healthcare administration and has been able to support us well. However, a few months ago, my husband was laid off from his job of 7 years. It was quite difficult. We had some savings that helped get us through, but realize we have 6 children to support and this lay-off came as a shock to us. My husband was able to find a new job (thank goodness) about three weeks after he was laid off. It is a better job for him. He manages an educational program for developmentally disabled adults--ranging from autism, Down's Syndrome, mental retardation--mild and severe, and other developmental and behavioral disabilities. The Lord has truly blessed us and is allowing him to use his knowledge and talents to truly bless the lives of others. Some that many believe are "the least of these." He has been in this field for over 14 years dealing with people with developmental disabilities. He truly enjoys this work.

However, we did miss three pay periods during this time period. It became difficult, and we had to get help from the government just for health insurance. We have children with special needs and a child with a medical problem that constantly needs monitoring. It was the most depressing day of my life to have to apply for government benefits. I went through depression for about a week. I knew things were pretty bad if I had to ask the government for help with insurance. However, the help was NEEDED and it was only temporary. We were asked if we wanted a temporary 3 month grant or continuous month to month basis. We opted for the TEMPORARY help. At this time, we did not know how long it would be before my husband was able to find work in this economy. I was also looking for a job outside of my home as we needed to find work quickly to be able to provide for our children's needs.

We both searched for jobs and we prayed daily for strength and help. We asked the Lord to help us find a job, and if I needed to work, that a way would be opened up for us to accomplish this. My husband had several interviews two weeks after his lay-off. We decided that if none of those interviews worked out and he was not offered the job, then we would start focusing on me working as well. My mother was willing to babysit my young children, if needed. She lives near us. The interview worked out and he was offered a job that would pay for our needs. I had an internal battle with myself during this job search as I did not want to start back working away from home yet as we still have young children at home. I would have done it though, if my husband was not able to find work. I was grateful that Heavenly Father heard and answered our prayers. A way opened up for us, and we were able to find work that would pay our bills and give us the things that we NEED. I am a medical transcriptionist, and recently, at my children's doctor appointments, an opportunity presented itself to start transcribing for doctor's again. This will help us get caught up with our bills and build up our savings account again from when we were laid off. I believe that if we are faithful and turn to the Lord for help, he will accomplish a way for us to follow His counsel. I have a testimony of this.

We do have 6 boys so that is 12 years of missions for us to pay for, beginning with my oldest leaving on a mission in 7 years. My husband makes a good living, but we will have more than one son out on a mission at a time. I am sure the Lord will provide a way for us to accomplish this, and it may be through me working as a transcriptionist. Hopefully, that job will be at home. The Lord will bless your family and help you with what you stand in NEED of, if you seek his help. I know that we were truly guided by the Spirit, and everything has worked out well for us. The path was difficult, but it brought us closer to the Lord and to each other as husband and wife. I know that the Lord has a plan for each of our lives and that He loves us and guides us.

5th Jul, 2011 - 7:08pm / Post ID: #

Working Sisters Mormon

Hi Pianomom that's a very nice testimony. I'm glad to read your husband was able to get a job (so hard these days!) My brother was laid off 6 months ago and he still looking for a job, he was lucky that his wife has a terrific job so for now he's taking care of the kids while she works.

international QUOTE
We do have 6 boys so that is 12 years of missions for us to pay for, beginning with my oldest leaving on a mission in 7 years.

I remember you said you have two kids with autism? I'm not sure if you knew but the Church no longer sends young men with autism to the mission field (regardless whether they're high functioning or not). They can serve locally doing a service mission and it won't really cost you much like a regular mission because they come home at the end of the day. I just thought in letting you know that.

Post Date: 6th Jul, 2011 - 4:52pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?
A Friend

Mormon Sisters Working?

SuzieSu Yes, I am aware that the church does not send people with Autism on a mission. I know they will serve a mission, in one capacity or another. I have a different perspective of what I think Autism actually is that I will try and post in the Mormon Autistics section. I have had some new insight from a friend recently. If my perspective is correct, there will be whole new way of looking at Autism, especially throughout the church. We will have all 6 boys serve missions, whether it is local, domestic, or foreign. They need to serve. Thank you for making sure I was up to date on church regulations. I pray that your brother will be able to find work, but thank goodness he has a wife who is able to help support the family. It is a very rough economy and we feel so blessed that my husband was able to find another job.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Jul, 2011 - 7:26pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working - Page 5

As some of you know, I'm divorced right now so I really don't have much of a choice but to work. I'm thankful I was able to find a good job with good coverage. I believe we're living in different times, this isn't Brigham Young's times and most of us aren't farmers. I believe it's very important for women to work and be self reliant. You never know when something unexpected could happen and change it all. It is best to be prepared.

Rather off topic, but...
Pianomom why do you say you will have all your 6 boys "serve missions, whether it is local, domestic, or foreign. They need to serve." I hope you don't get offended with my question but don't you think is it something they should decide for themselves? It sounds almost like you have everything planned but I think it should be their decision. I hope I'm not being intrusive, not my intention at all.

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2011 - 7:35pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?
A Friend

Mormon Sisters Working Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 5

In answer to Liahona's question, we are trying to follow the prophet as a family. My husband and I hope to go on a mission as well together someday when the children are grown. Missionary work is a family tradition in our family, and all six of our boys are preparing for missionary service. They want and desire to go on missions. President Spencer W. Kimball

international QUOTE
"Should every young man who is a member of the Church fill a mission?" And I responded with the answer the Lord has given: "Yes, every worthy young man should fill a mission." The Lord expects it of him. And if he is not now worthy to fill a mission, then he should start at once to qualify himself. The Lord has instructed, "Send forth the elders of my church unto the nations which are afar off; unto the islands of the sea; send forth unto foreign lands; call upon all nations, first upon the Gentiles, and them upon the Jews." (D&C 133:8).

Thus, the elders-the young men of the Church of the age to be ordained elders-should be prepared and anxious to fill a mission for the Church throughout the world. Presently, only about one-third of the eligible young men of the Church are serving full-time missions! One-third is not "every young man." The average stake that I have visited had only between 25 percent and 40 percent of its eligible boys on missions. That's all! Where are the other boys? Why do they not go on missions?

Certainly every male member of the Church should fill a mission, like he should pay his tithing, like he should attend his meetings, like he should keep his life clean and free from the ugliness of the world and plan a celestial marriage in the temple of the Lord.

While there is no compulsion for him to do any of these things, he should do them for his own good.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Removed unnecessary Offtopic tag.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Mormon Sisters Working?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,