Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 9 of 23

It's good to know that there are people - Page 9 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 6th Jan, 2007 - 2:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 23 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (23) »
What is going on here? I am amazed at the articles I read every day when I pull up the Express newspaper online. What really hurt me when I read this article was the poor boy who had to watch this happen to his mother. Is it really this bad now?
Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago Related Information to Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago
14th Nov, 2006 - 6:11pm / Post ID: #

Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 9

I tell you all, when I read every day the Express, I am almost sure that there would be an article about a murder. It is scary to see some latest murder cases where the accusers end up walking free. Just two from Today's paper:

ID evidence poor, so murder accused freed

A MAN accused of murdering a German national in 2005 during an armed robbery at the victim's home walked free yesterday due to poor identification evidence.

Anthony Cohen, 23, of Smith Hill, Carenage, was on trial before Justice Joan Charles in the Port of Spain Second Criminal Court at the Hall of Justice charged with murdering Jurgen Klaus Keck on January 18, 2005.

Keck, 60, of Aqua View Terrace, Pt Cumana, Carenage, was shot dead when four men stormed his home.

The State's case rested primarily on the testimony of Keck's caretaker, Michael Mathison, who had picked out Cohen on an identification parade held exactly four months after the incident.

Special prosecutor Hayden St Clair-Douglas told the judge that after reviewing the evidence at the close of the State's case and having regard to submissions made by the defence on the strength of the prosecution's evidence he found the State's case to be lacking on two critical points.

"On that basis it would not be appropriate to ask you to send the case for the jury's consideration," he said and conceded that the State could not proceed with its prosecution on such poor quality evidence....

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ws?id=161051253

Only son charged with beating mother to death

The only son of Rambhar Narine went to court yesterday charged with her murder.

Twenty-six-year-old Teemal Babwah Narine, a construction worker, appeared before Princes Town First Court Magistrate Indrani Cedeno.

He lived at the same house in Barrackpore in which his 46-year-old mother lived and was found bludgeoned to death last Friday.

Several relatives, friends and neighbours were in the courtroom.

Narine was represented by attorneys Richard Valere and Petronella Basdeo.

The State was asked by Basdeo to disclose the evidence against Narine. She also asked that the State consider a paper committal in the case.

A paper committal is used to fast track cases, when the defence agrees, by allowing the magistrate to make a ruling based on the written statements of witnesses....

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ws?id=161051249

Sponsored Links:
15th Nov, 2006 - 9:19pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Crime Violent

The Minister of National Security said yesterday that the murder rate will not be used to determine whether the crime have increased or decreased. Really? I would be curious to know what yardstick is he going to use (or if he is going to see any at all)

He admitted that a lot of work needs to be done, resources and technology put in place as part of measures to deal with crime, but was quick to point out that Government was on the right path of providing training, education and purchase of the necessary pieces of equipment to deal effectively with the crime situation.

The Minister made these statements during his address to members of the Port-of-Spain Rotary Club at the Cascadia Hotel yesterday. According to the Minister, 56 percent of crime is carried out by repeat offenders and if they enter the penal system and not given the chance at rehabilitation, the crime will continue. He also revealed that 65 percent of crime is also drug-related and several of the murders in Laventille occurred because of religious rivalry...

17th Nov, 2006 - 1:08pm / Post ID: #

Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Well, not violent crime only against adults and children but also towards newborns, how worst can you get? Then, shooting and murders as part of every day life in Trinidad and Tobago:

Dead baby found
The body of a newborn baby boy was discovered yesterday morning at Arima.

Investigative sources said the baby was wrapped in a mint green jersey and bloodstained yellow plastic bags.

The bloodied umbilical cord was still attached to the body and a medical source who was present said the baby had been carried to its full nine-month term and speculated that the baby may have been born on Wednesday night.

The baby's face was also reportedly bashed in.

Women who gathered with toddlers and children, held them firmly yesterday as police investigators waited for the arrival of the District Medical Officer at the corner of Farfan and Woodford Streets, Arima, where the body was discovered.

Those who glimpsed the lifeless infant, clutched their stomachs as if in pain and called on God to bless the soul of the departed....

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ws?id=161052971

Shot dead with bullet to the head

A quarrel between friends ended with a bullet to the forehead for Amika Moyo on the notorious Old Train Line near San Fernando.

Moyo, 22, who lived at Frederick Street, Marabella died on the spot.

His brother, Azukah Moyo, 24, was shot seven times and killed near the family home in March last year.

Another brother, Minkah Moyo, 21, is charged with shooting Police Superintendent Spencer Farrel during a robbery at First Citizens Bank, Couva in 2003.

Amika Moyo's family described him yesterday as "a good person who didn't trouble anybody".

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ws?id=161052969

Teenager wounded, friend killed

A teenager remains warded at the Port-of-Spain General hospital in a critical condition, while his friend was shot dead after a group of men in a car pulled alongside them and opened fire.

Quincy Noel, 22, received gunshot wounds to the head and other parts of his upper body, while Calim Barrow, 17, was shot in the back.

Police reports stated that at around 9.30 p.m. on Wednesday, Noel and Barrow, both of Rich Plain, Unity Road, Diego Martin, were liming at the corner of Rich Plain and Diego Martin Road, when a black car pulled up and opened fire.

Both men ran a short distance before collapsing.

The car sped off.

Nearby residents who heard the shots called the police...

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ws?id=161052965

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 17th Nov, 2006 - 1:08pm

18th Nov, 2006 - 12:04pm / Post ID: #

Page 9 Tobago and Trinidad Crime Violent

The Prime Minister Patrick Manning witnessed a police-thief chase yesterday. Does he still denying the crime situation in the country is not serious?

Prime Minister Patrick Manning had a first hand experience of the country's spiralling crime rate on Thursday evening, during a meeting at his constituency office.

Manning, on hearing a loud commotion outside his office, looked through the window and saw a chase by police officers, witnesses said.

A suspect in a robbery was arrested in the constituency office car park on Coffee Street, San Fernando, as Manning was about to meet his constituents.

PCs Gobin and Duncan, of the Highway Division, were on mobile patrol when they saw two young men acting suspiciously. As the police car approached, the men began to run and this led to a chase along the busy road...

20th Nov, 2006 - 12:59pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Crime Violent

According to PointE-A-Pierre MP Gillian Lucky the Government is lying about the statistics concerning crime. It is pretty obvious to me since you read about murders every day on the newspapers. These are some serious statistics she presented:

According to these statistics, there were 30 murders in the month of October with nine detections; there were 57 woundings and shootings with 13 detections; there were 487 robberies with 88 detections; there were 142 cars stolen with six detections and 42 houses were robbed with only one detection."

She added that total serious crimes were 1,703 with 352 detections.

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ws?id=161054191

Basically after reading these statistics, if you fall victim of robbery, rape, murder or somebody breaks into your house, don't even dream the criminal/s will be ever be caught. rolleyes.gif

13th Dec, 2006 - 4:10am / Post ID: #

Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago

Criminals in this country not only have no respect for others but they won't doubt in killing even babies if necessary. Thank God, this was not the case.

A Thief put a knife to the throat of a baby girl during a robbery at the home of a fisherman at Erin. Sharma Abdool said he came home to find the gunmen but when he went for help at the Erin Police Station, there were only two officers on duty.

The officers told him they could not leave, Abdool said.

South Western Division Police refused to say last night how many officers were assigned to night duty at the Erin Station.

By the time police from other stations responded, the thieves were long gone.

They took $30,000 in cash and jewelry.

Abdool said he found his wife, Marilyn, 44, daughters, Alana, 21, Kadisha, seven, and Shakila, six, and son, Kyle, 13, hiding in a bedroom.

Abdool, 44, later learned that four men with guns and knives walked into his home around 8 p.m. on Monday.

Abdool said his son, Albern, 23, was beaten and asked for money.

When he refused, a knife was place at the throat of a three-month-old baby....

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Dec, 2006 - 3:40am / Post ID: #

Violent Crime Trinidad & Tobago - Page 9

You have to be the lowest of the lowest to fool and steal a gas tank from a poor 89 years old granny (pensioner) who cannot defend herself and who ended up eating bread because she did not have gas to cook and she spent her last cent buying that gas tank.

A man she trusted stole her money and the gas tank she needed to cook, but 89-year-old Dora Clamens has only forgiveness in her heart for the thief.

"Maybe he had children to mind or wives to take care of. He had to be in a desperate situation, so I hope I was able to help him," she said yesterday.

But the villagers at Hermitage, on the outskirts of San Fernando where Clamens lives, said the man's actions were unpardonable.

"Imagine looking at a defenceless old lady who cannot fight back," a villager said.

Clamens lives alone on a State pension and does not have the money to buy a new gas tank. It costs $200. For her, Christmas looks bleak.

She ran out of Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) on Sunday morning, as she prepared to cook a pot of soup. She took the tank to the roadside and waited for the delivery truck.

A "PH" driver she knew and who frequented the San Fernando Public Market pulled up and offered to help, she said.

"I didn't think twice. He was so nice, laughing and smiling at me. He offered to take me. I accepted."

Clamens said the man took her to several shops that were all out of gas. They eventually found gas at a mini-mart at Pond Street, La Romaine. But after a new tank of gas was placed in the trunk of the man's private car, which he was using as a taxi car, Clamens said she gave him $100 so that he could provide change to pay for the gas. That was when he sped off leaving her penniless...

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article?id=161069426

It seems like some good citizens who heard the story are willing to help her:

Granny Dora Clamens, who was robbed of her money and cooking gas by a man who pretended to be helping her, has captured the hearts of Express readers.

But for every person who called to help, there was someone who wanted to pour scorn on the man who stole from 89 -year- old Clamens, leaving her in dire straits until her next pension cheque.

Scores of readers of the Express and Internet Express called in yesterday with offers to help following publication of the story of how she was robbed.

If they keep their pledges, Clamens will get at least ten gas tanks, several thousand dollars and groceries to last her well into next year...

6th Jan, 2007 - 2:48pm / Post ID: #

Violent Crime Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 9

It's good to know that there are people willing to help and risk their lives for another. This man is a hero, thanks to him this woman was not raped, the criminal was caught by villagers (he also got "licks" before the police arrived):

Highway Hero

WESLEY McLeod could have walked away when he heard the cries of a kidnapped woman being savaged by a sex predator, in a car parked under a highway overpass on Thursday night.

Instead, he decided to risk a bullet or blade, doing enough to scare off the man, and sparking a vigilante response that led to the suspect being held.

Police said when they arrived on the scene, they found the 23-year-old woman shedding tears, not of pain, but in relief.

McLeod, a 38-year-old landscaper living near the shoulder of the Solomon Hochoy Highway near the Indian Trail Flyover, was credited with the woman's rescue, but he did not think he did anything special.

"I thought about running. I thought the man might have a knife or a gun. But then I thought of my mother and my four daughters. What would I want someone to do if they were in trouble?...

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ws?id=161077696

A 46 years old man arrested in connection with sexual assault with a 13 years old girl at the school he worked for...

Teacher held for sexual assault

A school teacher with 21 years' service was arrested at his Sangre Grande home yesterday, in connection with the alleged sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl.

The teacher was arrested by a team of Sangre Grande CID officers, including PCs Ramdeen and Harrell, after a lengthy investigation...

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ws?id=161077680

> TOPIC: Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,