Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 12 of 23

Revamp, then enforce the laws Our murder rate - Page 12 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 20th Jul, 2009 - 1:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 23 pgs.  8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ...Latest (23) »
What is going on here? I am amazed at the articles I read every day when I pull up the Express newspaper online. What really hurt me when I read this article was the poor boy who had to watch this happen to his mother. Is it really this bad now?
Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago Related Information to Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago
29th Feb, 2008 - 3:08am / Post ID: #

Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 12

I don't understand at all the statements by the POS mayor urging citizens to take more responsibility for personal safety. So you are coming back from work, walking down Frederik Street and a gunman starts shooting at someone and you have to take responsibility for that. spock.gif Mayor, what about YOU and the government ensuring that the citizens of this country are safe? Stop blaming people for the clear inefficiency of your city to handle crime as well as the government for the whole country!

Citizens of Trinidad and Tobago need to take more responsibility for their personal safety, Port of Spain mayor Murchison Brown said yesterday when asked to comment on the recent killings in the capital city.

Three killings have occurred on the city streets in the last few weeks-on February 9, PC Chris Barrath was chopped and stabbed to death on St Vincent Street, Diego Martin resident Nicole Applewhite was killed by gunmen on Independence Square on February 15 while buying DVDs from a vendor who was also shot, while on Wednesday evening, businessman Marlon Gocking was gunned down on Frederick Street.

In a telephone interview yesterday, mayor Brown said: "We are all concerned about people being killed in the city but people need to be more vigilant and alert of their surroundings.

"There is security in the city but ... the issue is not about security because security can't be everywhere and can't see everything. No one knows the hearts and minds of men. Anyone can decide within a moment to harm another, so as individuals we have to be alert to what is around us."

When questioned about the use of surveillance cameras in the city, the mayor said he knows that there is always the need for more surveillance cameras and that there were plans to do so. He said it was easy to blame the Government, but everyone has to take responsibility.

Also commenting yesterday was Gregory Aboud, president of the Downtown Owners and Merchants Association (DOMA), who said the killing of Gocking on Frederick Street has signaled "a new standard for lawlessness".

"It is a very serious blow to our city and our country when barbaric acts can take place in full view of the public," said Aboud, who noted that the three murders are also part of a 60-plus murder tally within the first two months of the year. The murder toll for the year now stands at 65.

"The law-enforcement authorities should be very concerned about the contempt that is being shown to them and the wider society," said Aboud. ...

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Mar, 2008 - 10:08pm / Post ID: #

Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Tobago and Trinidad Crime Violent

This may sound like a cliche but crime can be a matter of life and death. Most people DO NOT see themselves being part of the solution e.g. A police officer draws his weapon and kills one of two bandits ,his relative is also killed, he attends the funeral and his picture is published in the print media WHY? Who benefits from knowing what he looks like? "Whose side de papers orn"? it's like they're trying their best to put the cop in the cemetery. Brad Boyce (rich and white) kills a young man (indian and poor) during the trial the Judge rules that the Pathologist is not qualified and frees Brad Boyce. Two weeks later the same Judge (Volney) accepts the same qualifications and allows the same pathologist(Des Vignes) to testify in a murder trial that he has conduct of. A female attorney runs a red light and kills a 13 yr old boy during the trial the Judge (Deyalsingh) accepts a weak no case submission sets the attorney free and rushes from the Court which is in uproar. All these jokers sorry Judges bemoan "breakdown in the rule of law" but ask yourself WHERE DOES IT START? When the wider society sees that justice is blind for some and all-seeing for others FAITH in the system is lost. Anyone who doubts the examples I've mentioned or feels that I just made it up check the supreme court library

Post Date: 30th May, 2008 - 4:59am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Good day to all, I am a Trinidadian living in the US. Iplanned to move back to Trinidad with my husband in a few years . For the first time I am uneasy about going home, the direction that Trindad will continue on really depends on the people who live there.Unforunately misguided loyalty to party groups have severly blinded Trinbigonians from making decisions that will benefit our nation undecided.gif . The old guards need to be put out to pasture and allow new individuals with fresh and relevant ideas to steer this country down the right path. A new day for our country is within our grasp. I hope Trinbigonians would stop partying long enough to do the right thing.

Post Date: 17th Nov, 2008 - 4:10pm / Post ID: #

Page 12 Tobago and Trinidad Crime Violent

Name: Mark

Comments: Been a regular visitor to Trinidad and Tobago for many years.
I have now been robbed three time in Tobago, from a normal house, not a holiday home. The last time was particularly brutal, with the use of cutless,(machete).
The police were particularly unhelpful.
I have now got the message, I shall no longer return.
In my opinion Tobago is a dangerous place , many robberies go unreported, because people have no confidence in the police.
There is now a spate of thefts from cars.
The Government dont seem to be prepared to take any action.
Lots of talk and meetings at top hotels, but no progress in defeating crime.
The murder of two Swedish visitors and the many incidents of horrific sexual abuse of visitors does not seem to have stirred the authorities into action.
Dont they understand Tobago depends on tourism?

Post Date: 30th Apr, 2009 - 9:01pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Crime Violent

Name: Shamina

Comments: The state of this Country is really bad. You have to actually live here in Trinidad to see what's happening, Our Prime Minister seems to only be helping himself and the opposition is just as bad.

Post Date: 15th Jun, 2009 - 8:54pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Murder stalks the land

AS if always endeavouring to upstage the authorities, and to deliberately establish that there is as yet going to be no peace in the land called Trinidad and Tobago, the criminally minded have once again moved to maintain their version of centrestage. Ref. Source 9

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th Jun, 2009 - 1:14pm / Post ID: #

Violent Crime Trinidad & Tobago - Page 12

Trinidad and Tobago: An unusual mix of crime and tourism

It is rather ironic that this world conference selected Trinidad as its location, as a major topic reviewed by the delegates focused on crime in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). Kevin Casas-Zamora, a senior fellow in Foreign Policy and in Brookings" Latin America Initiative, reporting on the crime epidemic in this region found that this issue has "become part of daily life throughout the region" to the point where it is a "clear danger for democracy." Ref. Source 8

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2009 - 1:21pm / Post ID: #

Violent Crime Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 12

Revamp, then enforce the laws

Our murder rate per capita has now surpassed Brazil, America, England, China and most of the countries which visited us for the Summit of the Americas; we are at 33-36 murders per 100,000 citizens. We have a thriving drug trade, speed merchants who are causing horrible carnage on our nation's roads, corruption in high places, non-existent accountability with half-cocked excuses and rampant human trafficking even though it has been denied by all and sundry. Ref. Source 7

> TOPIC: Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,