Liberal Mormon? - Page 4 of 5

I once had a seminary teacher who believe - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 25th Oct, 2008 - 2:29am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Liberal Mormon? Related Information to Liberal Mormon?
28th Jul, 2008 - 3:41pm / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon? - Page 4

I do not believe just because someone is Liberal that they are in danger of losing the Spirit. What I said was that if one is too too Liberal (implying to the extreme) then they cannot be compatible with the Church. This is also true with the Literalist who takes everything to the opposite extreme.

I am not painting liberalism with a broad stroke, but acknowledge that there are some ideas that are not compatible with Church teaching if taken to the extreme. Could this not be said of any extreme both, right and left?

I do not think he purges. That is a dangerous idea in my mind.

God purges, but it is a purging of sin.

Heb. 1: 3
  3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Sometimes, though, I believe God separates himself and his spirit from us because of our actions and intents. He does this out of love, so that we may freely return to him. More often, I think we purge, ourselves from God, because of our rebellion.

Excommunication can be an act of Love in that it can help a sinner to humbly seek forgiveness from God and try to return to him with clean hands and a contrite spirit

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 9th Sep, 2008 - 6:52pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Liberal

Name: Mark

Comments: A liberal Mormon in its present connotation is one within the church body who is willing to act according to his or her own reason and sense of goodness rather than mere obedience to the church head. A liberal Mormon is one who attempts to discern what actually is from the superstitions that prevail in the church. A liberal Mormon understands that God's revelation is not done and has chosen to prepare his heart, which is best prepared through pro-activity, for expected, forthcoming revelation. A liberal Mormon can see from history (I.e. the supposed doctrines of blacks and the priesthood) that the church presidency is not immune to the falsehoods prevalent in the culture. A liberal Mormon understands that the laws of the covenant are separate from the laws of the state and don't believe the values of one should be projected onto the other. A liberal Mormon is unafraid to stare into the eyes of the demons that have mixed their spirits with our own. You can not fight what you can not see.

In sum, a liberal Mormon is one who wishes to go on with the churches profound tradition of liberation from false culture and the discovery and advancement of greater truth rather than the donkey-like conservatism that has become the church's standard.

10th Sep, 2008 - 2:09am / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon? Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (JoePublic @ 9-Sep 08, 1:52 PM)

Comments: A liberal Mormon in its present connotation is one within the church body who is willing to act according to his or her own reason and sense of goodness ...

Mark -
Does this mean I am a liberal? All this time I just thought I was just a rebel. I never have been good at just following the party line. I always seem to have to find out for myself through trial and error. Or at least through inspiration. And as far as the demons go - bring them on - I have fought worse I'm sure.

I do not do well with the sheep mentality. It is always refreshing and uplifting to see free-thinking righteous behavior.

Post Date: 10th Sep, 2008 - 11:15am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Mormon Liberal

Comments: Alaskann,

Liberals are those who liberate themselves. They are unwilling to see the world the way they are told should see it, and instead look inside to find true sight. There can be no liberation without some sort of rebellion, and there has never been a time in history when there was absolutely no need for liberation.

When a supposed truth is out of harmony with the reality we see in the world, we are left with two possible conclusions: we have falsely experienced reality, or the supposed truth is false. A conservative will conclude the former and a liberal the latter. Also, a liberal will diligently seek to find the true reality.

I can't say for sure if you"re a liberal or not. You can label yourself however you want. Labels are never entirely accurate.

If taking the story of the Gospels from a historical and cultural perspective, there is no better example of a liberal Jew than Jesus Christ.

I like what you"ve written on this thread. I think we would get along.

3rd Oct, 2008 - 9:16pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Liberal

I never have been good at just following the party line. I always seem to have to find out for myself through trial and error.

Their is always need for you in this church. I think that it is good to have such people in our wards, because it keeps the rest of the ward/church honest. It takes both kinds to grow and to move the Church forward.
The question is how do you negotiate this with the mainstream party line? This is a valuable question within the the church. I did my graduate work on this idea in the LDS community. It was in part to answer a larger question as to how do we negotiate descent and and disagreement in the LDS church? What kind of strategies are available for LDS members to express this and how can we develop more strategies.

Typically research shows that the LDS church members have 2 ways to deal with descent or disagreement. 1 is to be quite and do not publicly address it and stay loyal to what you disagree with, the other is to disaffiliate and leave the church. That is the 2 main options/strategies for LDS membership. The problem is that they are polarizing and on the very ends of the spectrum. However with the advent of the blog that is changing and it is exciting to observe that change. My research really focused on developing and negotiating new strategies particularly on a local level.

So to get back on the subject, I think that it is good to have people like you. I am just interested in how you negotiate that in church. I think that much of this tread talks about this, and has very insightful patterns on the matter especially how it defines liberal in leu of negotiating discord and descent.

Post Date: 4th Oct, 2008 - 3:27am / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon?
A Friend

Liberal Mormon?

You know every group at its base core sounds alright. Somehow they end up in a very ugly place. Liberals are all about free agency and freedom of speech yet they impose their ideals and seek to take away other's freedom if they disagree with them. They usually sit on their self righteous soap boxes and show everyone there own hypocrisy. They teach freedom without responsibilities. They preach tolerance, but they are not tolerant. They preach peace yet create more conflict then any group I have ever seen. I could go on and on. They use free speech yet they think that they are the only ones allowed. They Promote a certain way to act and live, but you can tell that most of them have never lived. They are hired by governments and usually do paperwork, because they are relatively useless in a free market where one has to show real productivity. They have to get jobs as bureaucrats that live off of the sweat of the working person. They try to impose their destructive ideas to the real people that make this society and try to lord over them with "how to be". They are parasites that look down on the very people that they live on. They make fun of people more than anyone I have ever seen. Calling people rednecks and idiots all the time. Like they are so superior and yelling "free love". Absolutely useless to any progressive disciplined society.

I don't know if any of you have noticed but I can't stand liberals. In the after life I don't ever want to be around them. I can deal with most any group, but I cant deal with that fake narcissistic bleeding heart liberal crap. I cant stand them. I am just being honest.

Reconcile Edited: Quasar on 4th Oct, 2008 - 3:30am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
24th Oct, 2008 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon - Page 4

The rancor that is seen between liberals and Conservatives in our country is not a unique phenomenon(there has always been strong contentions between differing parties) but I think that the level of rancor could very well increase with a disputed election or if there is an increased polarization between the parties. I am just curious that if these feelings became more severe, could they spill into relationships in the Church.
Could we see a divide between Liberal Members and Conservative members that reflects the severity in the country?

Can there be good relations between extreme liberals who want access to the priesthood to woman, acceptance of Homosexual Marriage in temples, or liberal views on the atonement and more orthodox Mormons?

I am not sure that this could happen.

25th Oct, 2008 - 2:29am / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

I once had a seminary teacher who believe that the coined term "liberal Mormon" was something actually made to find reasons to have freedom overide values and standards.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Liberal Mormon?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,