Liberal Mormon? - Page 2 of 5

Name: Aaron Comments: Christ said this which - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Jan, 2008 - 8:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Liberal Mormon? Related Information to Liberal Mormon?
Post Date: 25th Oct, 2005 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon?
A Friend

Liberal Mormon? - Page 2

Sheryl- As I stated above this is the truest form of a liberal, "The true liberal hates slavery of every kind. He battles for human freedom. He wants liberty in thought and action. He is tolerant, free from bigotry, and generous in all his deeds. He places truth above all else and hungers for full truth. He welcomes all new improvements and calls for more." This is a true liberal.

Those who seek to destroy the foundation of a Religion or a Government just because they don't agree aren't liberalists they are evil they are antogistic by nature. They say they are but in reality they in their hearts are dissatisfied with life so they seek to make everyone else miserable (Sounds familiar).

So you challenge what the prophet says, big deal so do I and every member should. We should receive a confirmation that he is speaking the word of the Lord or if he is just giving his opinion. Apostles and prophets have the right to give opinions on things. I too support Pres. Hinckley has the living prophet who has the keys to the kingdom of heaven on earth. I seek to liberate all from slavery of all kinds wither bad habits, or physical slavery. I wish that all my brothers and sisters of the world had the freedoms that I enjoy then my joy would be filled.

If you believe in your hear the above statement by Elder Widstoe then you are a true liberal. Hold your head up high and proclaim to the heavens, "I AM A LIBERAL AND AM HONORED TO BE ONE."

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 29th Nov, 2005 - 12:23am / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon?
A Friend

Mormon Liberal

Well now, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even Church leaders! Are the things you quoted Elders Smith and Widstoe as saying official LDS doctrine or scripture?

Is there a difference between a "liberal Mormon" and a "Mormon liberal?"

I looked the word "liberal" up in the scriptures, and it's used only in a positive light, there!

Would it make a difference if I just used another word and called myself a Mormon Progressive instead of Liberal?

My personal opinion is that the scriptures and official LDS doctrine support various causes that liberals have taken up, including environmentalism, feminism, civil liberties, and democracy, so it would seem logical that liberalism is not inherently antagonistic to Mormonism.

wink.gif

Post Date: 29th Nov, 2005 - 12:39am / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon?
A Friend

Liberal Mormon? Studies Doctrine Mormon

My personal opinion is that the scriptures and official LDS doctrine support various causes that liberals have taken up, including environmentalism, feminism, civil liberties, and democracy, so it would seem logical that liberalism is not inherently antagonistic to Mormonism

I agree the Scriptures do support the various causes that liberals have taken up, unfortunately, it's how people go about it that makes it antagonistic. Like one woman called Pres. Bush, "The biggest Terrorist in the world." That is not a liberal that is on the edge of being a traitor, I don't agree with Pres. Bush's methods of handling this war, but I do believe that this war is needed to get people out of power who are killing innocent people, like Sadam Hussan.

If People want to live the liberal way, support freedom, support active (positive)participation in local and federal elections. I love the U.S. and even though I didn't vote this year, I support our chosen elected President. I seek true freedom from any and all tyrany.

Post Date: 20th Apr, 2007 - 4:14am / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon?
A Friend

Page 2 Mormon Liberal

It's really funny that most LDS people can justify polygamy, but they look down upon gay marriage.

It's funny how LDS people call liberals those leading into apostasy. I suppose the people that say that are perfect.

Conservative LDS members constantly contradict themselves. Helping the unfortunate is liberal. Example: Tithing, fast offerings, free counseling, adoption services, etc.

For those of you conservatives who don't believe in the ozone layer, 1 Nephi 19: 12 -

"And all these things must surely come, saith the prophet Zenos. And the rocks of the earth must rend; and because of the droanings of the earth, many of the kings of the isles of the sea shall be wrought upon by the Spirit of God, to exclaim: The God of nature suffers."

The church is perfect, not the people.

The tyrant is gone. We still aren't out. What's so wrong with being liberal and pacifist?

How would you like another country forcing culture on you?

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote Tags. Check your spelling BEFORE Posting. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

7th Aug, 2007 - 2:21am / Post ID: #

Mormon Liberal

I am a Conservative and an LDS Member of the Church.

I have no problem with a Liberal who is a Mormon

Definition of Liberal

favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.

The Mormon Church by this definition therefore is the most liberal of Churches. It took some of the most "conservative" Doctrines such as the Trinity, non-corporeal nature of God, and our inability to approach God and threw it on its ear.

Definition of Conservative:

Disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.

By this definition we are also the most Conservative Church in that our answers to the most fundamental questions of Christian Doctrine are a return to the original form of the Church of Christ.

Conservative LDS members constantly contradict themselves. Helping the unfortunate is liberal. Example: Tithing, fast offerings, free counseling, adoption services, etc.

Helping the unfortunate is also a Conservative ideal, one I believe is the most fundamental of Conservative (and Liberal) Ideals

Post Date: 17th Jan, 2008 - 11:43pm / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon?

Name: Di

Comments: I am a Democrat and consider me more liberal then conservative.

My political beliefs do not contradict the true teachings of the LDS church.

I even hear President Thomas Monson is a democrat (I am still trying to find that source but many people have told me that) anyways..

I have a strong testimony of the Gospel. However, just because I believe God would have us be marriage of a man and woman, does not mean that I support the Government to control the rights for people to choose, to have their free agency. To me, that is discrimination. If someone is gay and wants to get married, that is their choice, who are we to push our beliefs on others by having a government law.

does that make me less of a Christian because I think people should make their own choices and not have the government control it? I think marriage SHOULD be between a man and a woman cause its a commandment from God.
But why look down on those who do and discriminate them for a choice they believe is ok? They aren't killing anyone.

So the person who wrote that someone said a liberal is someone who doesn't have a testimony.. That is a wrong statement in my opinion. I believe in all the commandments of God and do my best to follow them, who is he to tell me I am less of a Christian or I don't follow the teachings because I have liberal views

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Jan, 2008 - 5:43pm / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon - Page 2

I am a Liberal Mormon. I am also politically liberal as well. I was a little confused if this conversation is about being a political liberal Mormon or a liberal doctrinal Mormon. (This can be a big difference.) As for being a doctrinal liberal Mormon, I feel that there is a space and a need in the church for people like me. I think that our language in the church makes it difficult for such people to exist, but I feel that this will change in the future. I question such things like the doctrinal realities of such things like Polygamy, Adam-God, and the traditional LDS view of atonement to name a few, but I feel that I am able to worship, and serve in my ward with a clear conscious and bring value and contribute in my ward and most importantly I feel that I have a close and personal relationship with Christ.
LDS_Forever first started with a quote from the famous essay "What being a Mormon means to me" The famous essay about the iron Mormon vs. the Liahona Mormon. It is a great essay to start that discussion. This would be a great start to understanding the implications of how we view the gospel.

As for political liberalism I feel that my Mormonism draws me to this perspective. I have a strong desire for social justice, and helping the poor, and anti-war. I feel that I can have a clear conscience by supporting gay marriage, and be a good standing Mormon. I have no problem with this.

The question that Mormons face is if Romney does not get nominated, then how much does his Mormonism keep him from his success? It is clear that in Iowa his Mormonism that kept him from winning. I imagine it will be the same in the south for the most part. How will LDS react about giving their support to a party that has issues with there religion and view them as a cult? How can a LDS member justify being a part of a party that discriminates them, and eliminates them from holding the highest office in the land, when the highest ranking democrat is LDS? Where will the majority of LDS do with this realization that they are not as welcomed in the GOP as they thought that they were? It is becoming clear that their "Christian values" are not our values.

Post Date: 18th Jan, 2008 - 8:36pm / Post ID: #

Liberal Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Name: Aaron

Comments: Christ said this which I take as the whole of the Gospel.

QUOTE (3rd Nephi)

Therefore, all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them, for this is the law and the prophets.

And this:

QUOTE (Matthew 22)

Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
  This is the first and great commandment.
  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

This Christ said because I beleve there is no difference in political affairs and religious affairs. It's about knowing how to live in this life in peace and happiness. Then again this is only my opinion.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Liberal Mormon?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,