Hinduism - Page 2 of 3

I've noticed a disturbing trend of - Page 2 - Studies of Far East Religions - Posted: 29th Mar, 2015 - 4:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Dictionary.com: "A diverse body of religion, philosophy, and cultural practice native to and predominant in India, characterized by a belief in reincarnation and a supreme being of many forms and natures, by the view that opposing theories are aspects of one eternal truth, and by a desire for liberation from earthly evils."
Hinduism Related Information to Hinduism
20th Jul, 2006 - 5:13am / Post ID: #

Hinduism - Page 2

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 13-Apr 06, 10:52 AM)
How interesting. What I do not understand about the story above is this: If Shiva could take the head of an elephant to put on Ganesh, then why could he not just give him his own head back?

I think the concept portrayed in the story deals more with a symbolic rather than a literal interpretation. Hinduism embraces symbols more than any other religion I know of. The fact that Ganesh was willing to sacrifice his life to protect his mother, made it necessary for Lord Shiva to embody him in the likeness of the elephant, almost bestowing a larger than life depiction of Ganesh's act of selflessness.

I am not an expert in the field of Hinduism however, so I suppose this is just one interpretation of the story.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Aug, 2006 - 4:28am / Post ID: #

Hinduism
A Friend

Hinduism

I bought a copy of the Bhagavad Gita, and in the first section called "Observing the Armies." It states in texts 39-41, "With the destruction of dynasty, the eternal family tradition is vanquished, and thus the rest of the family becomes involved in irreligious practice. When irreligion is prominent in the family, O Krsna, the women of the family become corrupt, and from the degradation of womanhood, O descendant of Vrsni, comes unwanted progeny. When there is increase of unwanted population, a hellish situation is created both for the family and for those who destroy the family tradition."

As a Latter Day saint I believe in the Eternal nature of the Family, but to find it in what some people would call a pagan book, for me says that God talks to all his children.

Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2007 - 3:46pm / Post ID: #

Hinduism
A Friend

Hinduism Religions East of Studies

I love all the Hindu stories. Any person no matter their faith or beliefs could gain from those great epics. Also consider that they are thousands of years old!

8th Aug, 2007 - 6:44pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Hinduism

The modern problem of Hinduism is distinguishing between social Hinduism and religious Hinduism. They do clash when one one hand .e.g. if a husband dies, the wife should throw herself into the pyre to be with him forever, which is absurd in our modern lifestyle but in rural India, and despite the laws against it, the woman of a dead husband is considered 'useless'.

The varna/jati says that this is a religious edict but the classes of society (Brahmin, Kshatriya, etc then the untouchables (harijan) has created a hinduism that has actually propelled many to abandon it and go towards Christianity, Islam or Buddhism. I knew a fellow raised in South India who adopted Christianity because it gave him a better way to raise himself and his family to where he can and does provide for the greater community. They taught him how to live a decent life, get running water, a profession and overseas schooling while his Hindu brethren treated him like a dog and spit on his as a youth. The choices are obvious!

Some of my best inspirations come from the various stories (religious works) of Sanathan Dharma, the various sutras but the social practice of dharma, all falls down.

Post Date: 19th Jun, 2008 - 6:16am / Post ID: #

Hinduism
A Friend

Hinduism

Eshun, so based on your explanation on what Hinduism is... then I must ask... why do they (Hindus) have temples, perform many ceremonies and traditional acts as part of Hinduism if it is not needed / necessary?

Why do Hindus have temples?
Ans : Unlike now a days, in olden days temples are like philosophical schools, music and dancing schools.
then after,
In olden days people strongly believed astrology.. astrology wont tell any reason why it want people do worship with flowers etc...
People believed it, may be its true, finally it became tradition to worship with flowers etc..
once anything becomes tradition people search for creative/beautiful ways of doing it.
and they will fall in love with them. Once we fall in love we don't need any reasons, we just enjoy the beauty.

Festivals:
every festival has lot of creativity fun color beauty in it. And they will make sure you wont do any bad things in life. If some one who do all festivals did any wrong thing for his selfishness.. these festivals and stories of it will creates fear in him. finally it makes him feel like "what I archived due to selfishness except fear".
If these kind of selfish people stops doing festivals, he need lot of time to realize "he is wrong".. even he may not realize in his whole life.

Reconcile Edited: IamSmall on 19th Jun, 2008 - 6:39am

Post Date: 20th Jun, 2008 - 12:17pm / Post ID: #

Hinduism
A Friend

Hinduism

How interesting. What I do not understand about the story above is this: If Shiva could take the head of an elephant to put on Ganesh, then why could he not just give him his own head back?

That guy told you half story... in full story ..

Once upon days there was a Rakshasa named Gajanana(An elephant headed Rakshasa)..

He worshiped shiva and got Shiva with him.
And Vishnu with some plane divided Gajanana and Shiva.. which resulted to death of Gajanana.
As lost words Gajanana Requested shiva "My Lord, make me worshiped by all men forever"
Shiva who the Lord of kindness accepted it....

And then the story he told comes...
thats all drama created by Shiva to give head of Gajanana to the Boy of Parvathi... not only this Shiva created many Leelas to make Ganesh get worshiped. Its a big story.

Final meaning of all is Shiva is very kind on His worshipers and will give what ever they want. And the God supreme Shiva will make sure that 'His worshipers will fallow Dharma with His leelas".

Shiva always gives what ever worshipers asked and finally, if they wont fallow Dharma, Shiva proves with His leelas "what ever they got from 'Him'/' The God supreme' will be useless,if they wont fallow Dharma "

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please keep your messages free from extra characters that are not alpha / numeric (numeric should be for stats) while using good grammar. You will notice most Posts here are written without the use of 'chopped words', excessive smilies, slang, dialect(s) or Teeny Bopper scribbles. See Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Jan, 2015 - 1:41am / Post ID: #

Hinduism - Page 2

Hinduism is a very open religion. Its one of the only religions willing to incorporate deity from other religions. I think Hindus as well as Buddhists (Just another kind of Hindu) have a more nature bound respect and down to earth thinking than other religions.

29th Mar, 2015 - 4:57pm / Post ID: #

Hinduism Studies of East Religions - Page 2

I've noticed a disturbing trend of some Hindus becoming extremist and carrying out attacks on other religions. I don't know if they're frustrated about suffering in silence but its not the way to handle any problem.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Hinduism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,