Skin Color In India - Page 6 of 9

Name: Nightcheck Comments: To the individual - Page 6 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 9th Jun, 2010 - 12:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 9 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Are people from India: white, brown, or black? Is being white somehow better than being dark?
Skin Color In India Related Information to Skin Color In India
29th Dec, 2009 - 8:54pm / Post ID: #

Skin Color In India - Page 6

Maybe people from India are only doing what the same people here in the US do in secret but wouldn't admit it.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Mar, 2010 - 9:42pm / Post ID: #

India Color Skin

Name: Sehar

Comments: I was looking for makeup ideas for Indian skin tones and I found this topic. I'm actually Pakistani (which is next to India) and I think that it is true that people in India and Pakistan (and other south Asian countries) think that "fair" is beautiful. I say fair because really light (red heads for example) are actually not considered attractive. This is not only because alot of people that belong to "higher classes" are influenced by the western media in which even tanned white people are lighter than most people in south Asia. Along with that, like a few hundred years ago india had a "caste system" where people in the higher classes were lighter and the lower class were really dark (probably because the people in the lower class had to do more manual labour out in the sun). I think that idea has passed on despite the removal of the caste system. Along with that, when the British ruled India about sixty years ago, they were also "light" and rich" so people must have made correlations between those two things.
The thing about richer people being lighter because they don't work as much outdoors as the "poorer" people do holds today too. And since people belonging to separate social classes are treated with so much difference makes people want to "look" richer by being fairer.
I had never really thought anything about this before but not that I look back at it, all of our maids really are very dark and if I was to go out somewhere I would probably be treated lot etter than one of my maids just because I am lighter than them (even if not considerably).

Post Date: 27th Mar, 2010 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

Skin Color In India Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Name: MD

Comments: I don't believe north Indians are white. When the Indians talk about themselves they all say ' I can pass as an Italian or Spanish'', '' I live in the USA and people think I am Hispanic'' .... Bitter truth... Even your famous actress '' Aishwarya Rai'' who you consider looks like European is just not white... And yes south Indians look better than their north neighbours... They tend to have oval and better shaped face. [..]

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Off topic remarks removed. Before submitting your comments please use good grammar - no net talk or slang, check your spelling and remember that names of places and people begin with an uppercase letter.

27th Mar, 2010 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

Page 6 India Color Skin

international QUOTE (JoePublic @ 27-Mar 10, 12:54 PM)
When the Indians talk about themselves they all say ' I can pass as an Italian or Spanish'', '' I live in the USA and people think I am Hispanic''

It's interesting you mentioned this because an acquaintance of mine living abroad said the exact same thing to me. Her whole family are Indian descendants. I asked her if the locals over there think they're from India (they're from Trinidad) and she said no that when they're in the US the people think they're Spanish and I was shocked 'cause they don't look anything like Spanish people. For some reason they don't want to say they're Indians. Weird.

Post Date: 8th May, 2010 - 2:18am / Post ID: #

India Color Skin

Name: Nightcheck

Comments: For what it's worth - I am a white American who naively used to think all ladies/women from India were dark skinned and had never seen a light skinned female from India. I recently met a very light skinned blond from Bangalore who is exceptionally beautiful; however, with that said, in my humble opinion, there is nothing more more beautiful than a dark skinned, dark haired (especially long) Indian, Pakistani, etc. Woman.

If every woman on the planet had coloring features like Sandra Bullock - count me as one happy American.

Post Date: 22nd May, 2010 - 10:33am / Post ID: #

Skin Color In India

Name: ItalianStallion

Comments: I have been to South Asia and the Middle East for that matter and have traveled to India twice. I must say that what Indians portray in their movies and what they look like in real life don't match. Indians tend to be quite dark. I don't know who above, was saying that in northern India they are fair, that is absolute rubbish, while in southern India they are quite dark, in the north they are also dark. I had people literally kissing my feet and grabbing onto to me, I was appalled at the behavior I saw. Having traveled to extensively, I have visited Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Dubai, Qatar and Kuwait, I have found Indians to be the most color conscious and ironically the darkest of all. There seems to be a concerted cultural stigma to being dark yet, Indians I have met, their movies, TV commercials and the society as a whole, suffers from a dilution complex as nearly all Indians I have ever met, are quite dark! Moral of the story, the Indians you see in movies, they look nothing like Indians in real life! Just my two cents.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Before submitting your comments please use good grammar - no net talk or slang, check your spelling and remember that names of places and people begin with an uppercase letter.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd May, 2010 - 1:10pm / Post ID: #

Skin Color India - Page 6

Well, I don't think they literally kissed your feet right? wink.gif

I think the Indians we see in the movies are mostly mixed race and I suppose that's the kind of image India wants to portrait to the world, quite sad actually.

Post Date: 9th Jun, 2010 - 12:30pm / Post ID: #

Skin Color India Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 6

Name: Nightcheck

Comments: To the individual who stated my remarks were "rubbish" - I would suggest rereading my post. I clearly stated I had always thought thought women from India (Northern or Southern)were dark skinned as I had never seen or heard of anything that would lead me to believe otherwise.

To my surprise I met a 40 something beautiful female from India who was not only fair skinned - she looked closer to Marilyn Monroe that many lookalikes. There was no doubt she was from India as I saw her passport and other legal documents - plus a name like "Kumar" is fairly common in India.

When I shared the response of "Mr. Know-it-all" that no Indians are fair skinned - she gave a boisterous laugh - and proceeded to show me hundred of pictures from her photo albums (friends and family)- and Lo and Behold - though about 75% were dark skinned - the remainder were as fair as she was.

+  « First of 9 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

> TOPIC: Skin Color In India

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,