Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 14 of 84

Yeah I totally made the mistake of adding - Page 14 - Science Fiction PBP RPGs - Posted: 17th Jan, 2016 - 7:11am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 84 pgs.  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...Latest (84) »
Closed
Traveller Miscellaneous Thread for any Out of Character Discussion that is still related to the Main Game.
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support Related Information to Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support
16th Jan, 2016 - 12:09pm / Post ID: #
Njall Nail Lang
BelterCrewman
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀
Active Player Active Role-player!

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 14

Rebel over...

Does Wildcard have a Ships Locker? If so, does it have any weapons and/or armour? (Snub or auto- pistols, cutlasses or blades, or such "Civilian" weaponry). Thinking about equipping Adeline in case of boarding action - I assume Shuth will be a non-combatant, being a Doctor (Though - would Shuth use a snub pistol loaded with Tranq rounds?).

Another thought, are there any Vacc Suits beyond the ones the crew brought with them?

Sponsored Links:
16th Jan, 2016 - 7:15pm / Post ID: #
Baron Gaden Baenre
Retired Star Marine Ge...
Character
Follower / Scout
Character Sheet ◀

Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

This is The Reaper of Ships, over...

Maybe I'm a little confused about the game mechanics of a play by post but I feel like people are making far too many skill checks per "Turn". Is there some sort of standard we are following? I've been working under the assumption that if I make a roll, I wait for the ref to qualify the results. The rules clearly state how much time a skill typically takes and there is a limit to how much you can do a turn. However, we have people, sneaking, attacking, moving, and doing surveillance all in one turn. If we could clarify, at least for my sake, that would be great.

Post Date: 16th Jan, 2016 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support
A Friend

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support RPGs PBP Fiction Science

One of the problems with a play by post, is the waiting.

Between the time you post an action for a turn, the ref responds with necessary adjustments, rolls are taken, rolls are interpreted and the next turn is posted. One could be waiting for quite sometime.

To complicate the matters even more. We have several players. Not one player and the GM. It is tough to get the flow of the game. We are doing well.

16th Jan, 2016 - 9:07pm / Post ID: #
Njall Nail Lang
BelterCrewman
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Page 14 Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

Rebel over...

I'll quote Aericsteele here (I've been posting a sequence of rolls in one post based on this guideline):

international QUOTE
"It's best if I know what your overall intent for combat is (I.e. All out attack, well aimed shots, fighting withdraw) and you roll several attack and damage rolls. For example if you describe your character charging up a hill trying to get to an enemy's fighting position so you can lob a grenade in there, it may take you several rounds to get there. You may be firing your weapon the whole time and I don't want to make one post to describe you move x number of meters then fire but you missed, then on the next round another post about you moving x meters and firing, another miss, etc. If I have several attack and damage rolls I can describe, in one post instead of five or six, your character going up the hill firing several times, mostly missing with maybe one shot striking true, then you manage to get to the position and throw the grenade in. Doing so allows me to move the scene forward faster because I have several rolls to work with and can weave the results into a one post in a sequence based on the initiative. If everyone posts their intended actions at the beginning of a combat scene it will hopefully speed things up a bit because I can handle each round (Or possible several rounds) in one post instead of the standard one post per character's action.

Reconcile Edited: Bindoner on 16th Jan, 2016 - 9:08pm

17th Jan, 2016 - 5:27am / Post ID: #
Baron Gaden Baenre
Retired Star Marine Ge...
Character
Follower / Scout
Character Sheet ◀

Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

This is The Reaper of Ships, over...

That makes things much clearer. Thanks for the post. I've been playing under completely different assumptions. This will make things easier.

Post Date: 17th Jan, 2016 - 6:06am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I personally appreciate your willingness and the others in this game. For many of you, Play by Post is a new twist on an old friend.

Kind of like your car, with new rims, and a new paint job. Everything inside is still the same, it just has a different exterior look.

This is a new game for me. Play by Post is something I have become very comfortable with. Players who take both the game and the play format seriously is Priceless. Thanks again.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Jan, 2016 - 6:57am / Post ID: #

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 14

The Referee relays...

international QUOTE
Does Wildcard have a Ships Locker? If so, does it have any weapons and/or Armour? (Snub or auto- pistols, cutlasses or blades, or such "Civilian" weaponry).

The Wildcard does have a ships locker, but it was not stocked with any supplies. The only weapons, armor, or other gear you have at this point is what you purchased at the beginning or had from character creation. This also applies to your question about vac suits

And please be mindful on your dice rolls, some are only rolling 1d6; when that happens I have to manually roll the other d6 for you; or they are rolling 1d6 two times but adding the modifier to the dice roller which throws off the result because it adds that modifier to both dice that were rolled when the modifier needs to apply after the dice are added together. If you want to include the dice modifiers in the embedded dice roller then be sure to use the d12 option and mark 2 as the start number. This method mimics a 2d6 roll and gives you a range of 2-12, then adds the modifiers.

Also, thank you Njall for answering Gaden's question. This is my first time running a play-by-post game so please bear with me if things seem a little unorganized or unclear.

international QUOTE
Aericsteele, any concerns with me continuing the few days before current events?

Please feel free to use the time leading up to the current events to develop your character and his backstory involving Adeline. Just make sure you declare that the scene you are describing is taking place in the past, also avoid metagaming by using your knowledge of the current situation to give you an advantage (For example saying "I think I will just go and purchase/otherwise procure an item that would just happen to be perfect for the current situation"). As I mentioned earlier, the 'flashback' was set up mostly with the intent of developing Adeline and working her into the game, but in general I figured that this development would be driven by you. Keep in mind your character creation background; I believe yours indicated a betrayal of somekind that would change a contact into an enemy/foe, if this is the case Silver's relationship with Adeline should probably be pretty strained.

17th Jan, 2016 - 7:11am / Post ID: #
Maiokus
Rogue Pirate
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support Science Fiction PBP RPGs - Page 14

This is The Cynic, over...

Yeah I totally made the mistake of adding modifiers to a 2d6 roll yesterday while half asleep. My bad!

Things are going well with this game I think. Though it takes a bit to get into it and we all had a relatively slow start. But I think we're getting used to the flow and each other's play styles.

> TOPIC: Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,