Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 37 of 84

Sorry for not posting, I had a hectic week - Page 37 - Science Fiction PBP RPGs - Posted: 20th Mar, 2016 - 7:34pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 84 pgs.  33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41  ...Latest (84) »
Closed
Traveller Miscellaneous Thread for any Out of Character Discussion that is still related to the Main Game.
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support Related Information to Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support
17th Mar, 2016 - 3:55am / Post ID: #
Maiokus
Rogue Pirate
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀
Active Player Active Role-player!

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 37

This is The Cynic, over...

international QUOTE
If you want your character to be more involved in a scene you need to push your character into the scene through your post rather than wait for the Referee to give your character an opening.

Twice this happened and characters were pushed aside by Silver's narrative within the past week, not the referee. It seems Gaden was waiting for acknowledgement from the NPCs, which again is Referee agency. Or in my case, I was sleeping and Silver simply inserted himself into the scene and took it over for himself in between his backstory scenes. We don't expect Silver or the ref to flesh out our characters in a scene. We expect an opportunity to do so which is not hijacked by another players narrative.

international QUOTE
I do not believe that it should be the Referees responsibility to ensure that each character is well represented in each scene. The player is the one that ensures this by posting detailed and concise posts. Not every scene can be exciting for every character, and it can be difficult for the Referee to establish scenes that do involve every character.

I don't think that is my or anyone's expectation. I think we all understand that. And I do notice you trying to get players involved. Cheers.

international QUOTE

FInally, and I apologize for writing a book here, I think the manner in which Silver is percieved to be treating the crew as though he is their boss is probably something that should be addressed through in-character interactions.

I brought this up in Out of Character: because I was thinking that the roles and the ship were determined before we started since we did mortgage the ship before the campaign began.

Sponsored Links:
17th Mar, 2016 - 4:20am / Post ID: #
Baron Gaden Baenre
Retired Star Marine Ge...
Character
Follower / Scout
Character Sheet ◀

Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

This is The Reaper of Ships, over...

I think there may have been a bit of a misunderstanding as to the point that was trying to be made. At times it feels like the opportunity to expand a characters role or backstory are eliminated when another characters actions encompass too much. And part of that is setting up your own senses. How did we go from docking bay to having a banquet? This doesn't allow the other characters to have original input but rather they have to adapt to yours.
Perhaps this might just be a difference of playing styles. One thing that still alludes me is how much a character can do and I think that is something Maiokus mentioned. I feel you can do as much as you want in archiving X but you can't achieve XYZ in one turn. That is monopolizing opportunities and I think that is where this problem stems from. In my mind you can do something like carouse a crowd for rumors. You can add as much to this as you want, buy a drink, dance with an NPC, anything that adds flavor to the action. But you cannot gather information, negotiate a deal, and then leave and meet a contact all in one post.
What particularly bothers me is PCs describing NPC actions. Shifting scenes with an NPC completely eliminates opportunities for other PCs. I purposely had Gaden in the docking bay because I wanted him to talk to the LT as he has a military background. I saw this as a chance to flush out my back story and perhaps introduce my rival (Victor VanScythe). But as I read the ensuing posts, Gaden is now standing alone in the docking bay, hand outstretched for a handshake he will never receive. Any opportunity I had to organically create a narrative is gone.
Speaking for myself, there have been times where I have an idea of what I want to do with my character but the narrative that I'm trying to establish ends up being railroaded into something else.
Perhaps I'm not being proactive enough. I've tried to keep my PCs story within his own actions as a courtesy to the other players. But if you'd like us to expand beyond that I would be happy to.

17th Mar, 2016 - 6:31pm / Post ID: #

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support RPGs PBP Fiction Science

The Referee relays...

international QUOTE
I think there may have been a bit of a misunderstanding as to the point that was trying to be made.

I apologize if I came across as reacting defensively. I think I understand what you and Maoikus are saying, thanks for the clarification.

I think that Gaden being overlooked waiting in the cargo bay was my fault more than it was Malcombs so I apologize for that. Silver had set up to meet the imperials at the airlock which was handled first and I guess I thought that your post indicated that Gaden had met with the LT and Silver near the air lock (Which looking back it did not indicate that). I missed the part where your character was waiting in the cargo hold (But going back I see it). I did end up essentially ignoring your characters interaction on that one, sorry.

With that being the case you are correct that it is not within a players agency/authority to switch scenes. The Referee is the one that establishes the scene, and I failed to notice and/or correct the violation, so that is on me as well. Players can express their characters intent to move to another location or seek out certain things or individuals which could lead to a new scene, but they need to wait for the Referee to establish that new scene before proceeding. It goes back to the player declaring their intent while the Referee describes the result.

For example the "Banquet scene" would have been handled better with a declaration by Silver that this was what he wanted to do; find Adeline to see if she can set this banquet up and then invite the LT to the crew commons. Some dialogue can be worked in, but the player can only describe what they intent to do or what they want to have happen, they cannot describe the scene.

I can see the point being made with THIS POST where the player is basically saying that in order to push themselves into the scene they have to violate the policy regarding player agency. In this case declaring that the manifest was left on the comm console.

Therefore I think I need to clarify the policy

international QUOTE
The Referee is exclusively responsible for the actions, thoughts, description, etc. Of all non-player characters in the game as well as for adjudicating and describing the results of all task resolution rolls made by NPCs and PCs (Based on the intent of the player character as described by the player).

The Referee is also solely responsible for determining and describing all aspects of a scene, location, object, NPC, etc. Though the Referee may occasionally delegate this responsibility to the players to allow for greater player input and collaboration in the development of these aspects of the game.

This means that players can ask questions or attempt to somehow alter the scene either directly in-character; i.e. "My character looks around trying to find the manifest, and if he does he will make sure it is updated and take it to so and so" or "My character attempts to make contact with so and so to direct them to set up a banquet for our friend" or they can ask for clarification about the scene in the Out of Character: /support thread. I.e. "Does my character know where the manifest would be and/or whether it is updated?" or "Does my character know where so and so is and what they are doing?"

This means that players cannot describe an NPC's actions, reactions, thoughts, beliefs, etc. In any way; that is left to the Referee.

international QUOTE
Players are free, and encouraged, to make suggestions to the referee regarding the campaign, setting, scene, etc. But these suggestions need to be posted in the Support thread rather than in the Main thread.

Players can suggest things about a scene or the game. Rougeleader, for example could indicate in the support thread that he would like to see a scene involving his character with the marines to flesh out his characters background and I will try to set one up, but you have to let me know that this is what you would like to do or I will probably assume everything is fine with the direction the game is going. Doing so will also give notice to the other players so that they can make suggestions as well that may help involve their characters in the scene as well. You can also attempt to set this up through your characters actions, but if it is an interaction that is important to you or that you would really like to see let the Referee know this so I don't overlook it.

So, my suggestion for a resolution to the current situation is to perform something of a retcon. The dialogue between Silver and the LT that took place in this post will remain, but the conversation will basically be taking place on the way to low berth to collect the GTC men and Gaden will be present and This post will be included as part of that conversation. The LT would still request the crew manifest but there would be no opportunity to see Adeline's reaction to this as she would most likely be looking to the mid/high passengers.

In the future if a player violates the policy regarding agency by posting the actions/dialogue of an NPC, makes statements about the resolution of their intended actions/intent, or hijacks another player's narrative by altering the scene or any elements of the scene, the post may be ignored OR the Referee will add a complication to the scene that may not be beneficial to the character of the player that violated the policy.

17th Mar, 2016 - 6:57pm / Post ID: #
Maiokus
Rogue Pirate
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Page 37 Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

I'm happy that you enjoyed my flippant post. After a bit of meta dialog with Rogueleader it seemed only fair.

But in all seriousness, I appreciate the clarification of policy. I know I probably seem like a proper pain in the ass. But the way I see it, if Rogueleader and I were concerned about it, perhaps others were as well. So we make a fuss. A few of us are new to this forum and Play By Post games and I think we are weighing our goals with the enjoyment of other players as well. It's about finding a middle ground that can be inclusive but welcoming all participants.

Thanks again for running the game.

Apologies to Malcomb. I realized my posts were a bit dickish and I could have addressed our concerns in a more diplomatic way.

Post Date: 17th Mar, 2016 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support
A Friend

Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

Maiokus I appreciate you addressing it the way you did. You and others are new to Play By Post and I am new to Trraveller.

I often see Silver being a bit one dimensional. Honestly he only talks or sneaks away.

I can certainly pose more questions.here and do more out of character.as well.

In other games I normally know ahead of time what could or could not be done in the scope of a turn. Actions, movement, incidentals and such things. Play by Post manages things a bit differently and I should have sought out direction before being overaly assertive.

I have been in several Play by Posts where inactivity or minimal activity warranted a "Tragedy". These sorts of things proved to be a hindrance much further into the game. Needless to say, I have gone with the philosophy of trying to avoid tragedy. So I post regularly, but that does not mean that I could not be more concise and more inclusive.

Again I am sorry to anyone who feels a bit put off by my efforts in playing my character.

Post Date: 17th Mar, 2016 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I am new to [Traveller] so I tend to watch a lot for now and interact when I see the need. Bear with me as I am still learning and having fun.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Mar, 2016 - 4:44pm / Post ID: #
Maiokus
Rogue Pirate
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 37

Hey Malcolm, no harm no foul. We talked it over and hashed it out. I do appreciate your posting efforts and involvement in the game though. Again, sorry for not being more diplomatic in the initial post.

KNtoran no worries. Though Shuth's medic skill is very high, your other science skills make for excellent research. Investigate is also very useful when trying to put pieces of a mystery together outside of the lab such as finding clues or your character piecing together clues that are found. I had forgotten your computer skill was so high, but that's a great skill to have.

20th Mar, 2016 - 7:34pm / Post ID: #
Krakrefr
Hound
Character
Lieutenant / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support Science Fiction PBP RPGs - Page 37

This is Kanin, over...

Sorry for not posting, I had a hectic week with my job. I see that I am in the same bunk with Gaden now, instead Silver. Does that changes anything? So far I am enjoying the campaign, yet I am new to Traveller and Play By Post games…

> TOPIC: Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,