Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 10 of 84

First off, my apologies for upsetting game - Page 10 - Science Fiction PBP RPGs - Posted: 29th Dec, 2015 - 9:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 84 pgs.  6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...Latest (84) »
Closed
Traveller Miscellaneous Thread for any Out of Character Discussion that is still related to the Main Game.
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support Related Information to Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support
18th Dec, 2015 - 11:05pm / Post ID: #
Njall Nail Lang
BelterCrewman
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀
Active Player Active Role-player!

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 10

Rebel over...

Yes, I was hoping for an ECM package for Enerii to operate. At the worst we might at least get chaff and flares.

Sponsored Links:
18th Dec, 2015 - 11:27pm / Post ID: #
Maiokus
Rogue Pirate
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

This is The Cynic, over...

I vote 3 also. Getting help from the coalition is a good idea plus gives combat oriented characters the opportunity to kick ass and take names.

26th Dec, 2015 - 6:19am / Post ID: #

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support RPGs PBP Fiction Science

The Referee relays...

international QUOTE
I'll roll damage after we see if the shot hits or not.

Don't roll an attack in one post and wait to see if it hits or not before you roll damage, that will slow things down because you will have to post the attack, wait 30 minutes to get a result, roll damage if you hit and wait another thirty minutes for the result of that. Roll the attack and damage at the same time that way even if the attack misses I can just ignore the damage roll but if the attack hits then I already have the damage roll to work with.

It's best if I know what your overall intent for combat is (I.e. All out attack, well aimed shots, fighting withdraw) and you roll several attack and damage rolls. For example if you describe your character charging up a hill trying to get to an enemy's fighting position so you can lob a grenade in there, it may take you several rounds to get there. You may be firing your weapon the whole time and I don't want to make one post to describe you move x number of meters then fire but you missed, then on the next round another post about you moving x meters and firing, another miss, etc. If I have several attack and damage rolls I can describe, in one post instead of five or six, your character going up the hill firing several times, mostly missing with maybe one shot striking true, then you manage to get to the position and throw the grenade in. Doing so allows me to move the scene forward faster because I have several rolls to work with and can weave the results into a one post in a sequence based on the initiative. If everyone posts their intended actions at the beginning of a combat scene it will hopefully speed things up a bit because I can handle each round (Or possible several rounds) in one post instead of the standard one post per character's action.

29th Dec, 2015 - 12:47am / Post ID: #

Page 10 Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

The Referee relays...

Apologies for the posting delay; the holidays caught me and I had hoped the I would have been able to post more today but I have to work late and I'm on the road.

I should have something up later tonight or hopefully tomorrow morning.

29th Dec, 2015 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #
Maiokus
Rogue Pirate
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

This is The Cynic, over...

Aericsteele: No worries on the delay. Life happens.

To everyone else: Admittedly, this is the first play-by-post Role-playing Game I've ever played. I'm enjoying it very much so far. I'm not familiar with the Play By Post culture here on these forums, so please don't take any of the following to heart or personally as I'm not looking to call people out for what is expected in other Play By Post games. Largely it is based off of my own expectations.

When I play a Role-playing Game, the appeal is that I play a character who has agency within a fictional world and the narrative reacts to my character's decisions. I am all about the meta-game and negotiating with the referee/Dungeon Master/GM in writing in my character's personal story lines into the narrative. For me, however, a fellow PC unilaterally writing in their backstory into a post to fit their needs or desires is jarring. It breaks the narrative flow. It becomes less about a PC reacting to and shaping the narration and more about a PC dictating the narration, which to me is ultimately up to the Referee. I might suggest that going forward, personal story lines are discussed with the Referee (Publically or privately) in order to maintain a better flow and allow the Referee to narrate it. Otherwise, it appears that a character is co-opting the story to suit their own ends.

Again, please take this for what it's worth. I'm not familiar with the Play By Post culture here, just wanted to give some input for the good of this particular game.

Thanks everyone for participating and despite this post, I've been enjoying the game very much.

Reconcile Edited: Maiokus on 29th Dec, 2015 - 6:59pm

29th Dec, 2015 - 7:02pm / Post ID: #
Baron Gaden Baenre
Retired Star Marine Ge...
Character
Follower / Scout
Character Sheet ◀

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support

This is The Reaper of Ships, over...

I 100% agree, much of the fun from the game comes from your character making choices and the world reacting around. That's what makes the difference between PCs and NPCs. You can't speak for NPCs in game as that is one of the primary roles of the ref.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Dec, 2015 - 7:32pm / Post ID: #

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 10

The Referee relays...

I agree; I am all for players having a great deal of input into the game and I like to place emphasis on allowing players to add something to each scene I do think that the discussion of 'agency' does need to happen; in other words an understanding of what the players/referees authority is and when/if it is appropriate to infringe another's agency. I generally do allow and encourage players to work their back story into the game and make suggestions about NPCs or even the setting itself, but Maiokus is correct in that it is best practice to run these things by the GM in the support thread before writing it into the story.

Working in personal story lines is great, but I do think it should be done publicly and agreed upon before being introduced as canon in the main thread. This can be a little more difficult and time consuming when you are dealing with play-by-post games as it takes time for all the input from players and the GM to be hashed out and agreed upon so ultimately I think the Referee should be the one primarily responsible to determining whether a change or addition would reasonably fit into the game/setting rather than waiting for consensus from all the players, though it is important for the other players to have a say.

As referee, if I set a precedence by allowing players to make these sort of changes or additions without approval, it can really throw off the game and can easily be abused if players start adding things or changing things to benefit their character. The modification to the NPC that has already occurred is fine and I will allow it this time, and I do encourage players to work in their back stories or develop shared character backgrounds, but make sure to have it approved in the Support thread first and anytime you are going to include another PC into your backstory make sure that the other player approves first.

Post Date: 29th Dec, 2015 - 9:10pm / Post ID: #

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support
A Friend

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support Science Fiction PBP RPGs - Page 10

First off, my apologies for upsetting game flow.

I just had two issues in my character creation that never seemed to get resolved, and I was stuck for finding something feasible. I was not intending to derail anything in motion by the Ref (Aericsteele).

If we need to change it, great, I will edit that section. Whether she lives or dies is irrelevant, it is just something my character will have to live with.

Thanks for your feedback.

> TOPIC: Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,