Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 47 of 58

Spellcasters cannot cast in armor they are - Page 47 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 1st Nov, 2017 - 4:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Cleric
Cleric
Warlock
Warlock
Barbarian
Barbarian
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin
Fighter
Fighter
Ranger
Ranger
Draconian
Draconian
Wizard
Wizard

+  « First of 58 pgs.  43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  ...Latest (58) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 30th Oct, 2017 - 3:45am / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 47

Okay, initial thoughts:

First of all, Red dragons are thoroughly evil in this setting. To the point that expecting them to be merciful over an insulting thing like compassion is likely to earn an especially painful death. This is especially complicated by the fact that the campaign revolves around fighting the forces of the goddess Tiamat, which include Red dragons. If you want a fire based good aligned dragon, you're looking for a Gold. NOTE: Velon is a gold draconic sorcerer, so that route has already been done.

Point buy values are now correct. However, the 15's in Dexterity and Con are not doing you much good. If you drop those down to 14 each, you could pump your primary casting stat, Charisma, up to 16.

Speaking of stats however, Dragonborn isn't helping you much here. Generally speaking, you want your racial bonuses to match what you need for your class. That nice +2 to strength is going entirely to waste. Also, generally speaking, if multiclassing, you want classes whose abilities complement each other, or at the least run off of a similar Stat array. Monk and sorcerer do neither. I suggest that something about your Race and Class selection changes:
-If you primarily want to play a Dragonborn character, I suggest picking a class that uses strength, even better if it also uses charisma. A Paladin would be a good example, a melee oriented Warlock or bard could also work, Barbarian or Fighter wouldn't be bad choices, etc.
-If you primarily want to play a monk, I suggest picking a character that gives good bonuses in Dexterity, even better if it also gives bonuses to Wisdom as well.
-If you primarily want to play a sorcerer, you're looking for good bonuses in Charisma.
-If dead set on a Monk/Sorcerer, you are spreading yourself rather thin, and almost require bonuses in both Dexterity and Charisma.

A level 4 sorcerer does not have access to Fireball or Greater Invisibility. You'd need a level 5 or a level 7 sorcerer respectively for those.

Arcania Insight? There's Arcana, and Insight, but those are two separate skills.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 30th Oct, 2017 - 3:47am

Sponsored Links:
30th Oct, 2017 - 9:51pm / Post ID: #
Tazskan Daardendrien
Dragonborn Lvl 10 Warl...
Character
Follower / Middle Front
Character Sheet Lock
Rival Has a Rival
Genealogy Ancestral Line
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons Daishains

The Protector. says...

Thanks Daishain, no I wasn't aware of the "Red dragon" being evil.
I think I will stick with the Dragonborn character, being a fan of them in Skyrim.

To solve the dilemma, I will choose a Paladin, Warlock type of character. So as to retain some magical ability.

As for the dragon ancestry, and alignment I will go with a "Bronze" dragon. Which is related to water and lawful good.

So I'm off to work now, but in 6 hours time will come back and change the character to Paladin/Warlock for the multi-class aspect if that's ok?

Can you advise quickly, exactly how many spells (If any) the Warlock can choose.

I'm assuming a level four Warlock and level 3 Paladin this time.
Keeping the Dragonborn race, and choosing the bronze dragon for the heritage.

Once my character is sorted, to answer your earlier question I could commit to either a die roll, and/or paragraph interaction within the group. Within 24 hours.

What was the page to go to once character is passed? And all good to play??

Reconcile Edited: anronrosby on 30th Oct, 2017 - 9:52pm

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2017 - 12:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation Archive Pathfinder / D&D

-If the only reason you're mixing in Warlock is so you have magical ability, you should know that Paladins are also spellcasters. Now, they're divine spellcasters rather than arcane, and they gain spells at about half the rate as a full mage, but still.

-In regards to spells known, a level 4 Warlock knows 5 spells, up to spell level two. A level 3 paladin knows all of the spells on their list. You'll have 3 + your charisma modifier 1st level paladin spells ready to go at any particular point in time (Two of which are not picked, but instead determined by your oath)

-For both Warlock and Paladin, your next step will be to pick subclasses. These are important for more than the sake of mechanical abilities. The Paladin's subclass is an oath, a code of behavior to follow. The Warlock's subclass is a patron, a powerful being that grants power in exchange for service.

-The Warlock has a couple of additional choices to make. A boon, and a number of invocations. The boon amounts to a bonded weapon, a more powerful than usual familiar, or a tome that allows you to cast ritual spells. The invocations tend to be at will abilities, extra spells, or upgrades to existing abilities.

-When you're ready to go, you're looking for the main thread. There's a link to it in the first page of this thread.

31st Oct, 2017 - 12:02pm / Post ID: #
Tazskan Daardendrien
Character
Follower / Middle Front
Character Sheet Lock
Rival Has a Rival
Genealogy Ancestral Line
Base Has a Home Base

Page 47 Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons Daishains

The Protector. says...

Revised character build.
Race: Dragonborn.
Class/Level: Warlock 4, Paladin 3.
Skills
Strength: 17 (+2) Dexterity: 10 CON: 12 INT: 10 Wisdom: 9
Charisma: 16 (+1)

Warlock subclass: At 1st level made pact with a powerful being from an unknown world, and plane. *The great old one pact, the Patron is an unknown magical being. Gained cantrip "Eldritch blast."
Two 1st level spells:
(1) Charm person.
(2) Expeditious retreat.

At 2nd level, gained two eldritch invocations.
(1) Agonizing blast: Requires eldritch blast cantrip.
(2) Armor of Shadows: No expenditure of spell slot or material required.
Know extra spell.
(1) Invisibility.

At 3rd level, gained 2 extra cantrips
(1) Beast Speech.
(2) Beguiling influence.
Entered another pact this time of the Chain.
Learned the spell find familiar, and able to gain the aid of a pseudodragon.
Learned this extra spell
(1) Hold person.

At 4rth level, was able to raise one ability score of his choice.
Tazskan decided that he wanted to raise his constitution to 14.
He now knows 5 spells, 3 Cantrips.
Learns
(1) Shatter.

Paladin subclass: At 1st level Tazskan, because of an act of mercy, and compassion received two gifts.
He later learns that a magical being from another plane granted these.
(1) Divine Sense
(2) Lay on Hands.

At 2nd level Tazskan adopted a style of fighting called. Gains +2 bonus to damage rolls, when using a simple melee weapon.
(1) Dueling.
It was at this time while searching the mystical, he learned to draw upon divine magic.
Spells
Two first level spells, can be used from list.
He can use divine smite to hit a creature with a melee weapon.

At 3rd level Tazskan while searching for a divine, ancient relic discovered an unknown shrine.
He entered a new oath with the supreme being.
This time the oath of Vengeance.Vowing to meet out justice to those that do evil.
He realizes now that he can use 3 first level spells.
He is immune to disease.

HIT POINTS = 48 (4+2 (6x4) (6+2 (8x3)

I can see this character wearing studded leather.
AC = 12+(0), having a couple of daggers, and a quarterstaff, which can double up as the arcane focus.

I can purchase the weapons, equipment, and flesh out the history, next.

Now if all of the above is OK for use in the game I will add it to the character sheet, can you let me know?

What else needs doing before I go to transfer this, plus add a history to the character sheet??

Tazskan Daardendrien Results:
  • Dragonborn height mod on D8 (+2): 5 (1 roll)
  • Dragonborn weight mod on D6 (+1): 2, 6 (2 rolls)

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2017 - 1:04pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Anron, that sounds like an interesting character concept. I know that you are playing in a 3.5 game. Are you aware of how many spell slots that warlocks get? If not, they get 2 at that level which can be renewed with a short rest. We usually get one short rest a day. So you might get to cast four warlock spells a day. Then you will either spam the eldritch blast cantrip or wade into melee. Eldritch blast is better than any of the paladin abilities at that low of a level. If you end up relying on that then your paladin levels are just wasted. Just some food for thought. Play what you want of course. I wanted you to know how the warlock slots worked in 5e.

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2017 - 3:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I'm going to suggest better taking advantage of your weapon and armor proficiencies, especially since you don't have the Dexterity to do well with light armor:
-A viable setup would be full plate armor, a shield, and a longsword/battleaxe. This path would either require the War Caster feat to cast your Warlock spells in, or to sheath your weapon on turns when casting. (20AC, 1d8+5damage)
-You could also forgo the shield in favor of a greatsword or some other two handed weapon, and not have to worry about the War Caster feat. However your duelist fighting style only works with one handed weapons, so you would want to pick something else. I'd suggest Defense. (19AC, 2d6+3damage)

If you wish to remain capable of stealth, you can always pay 500 gp extra for mithral armor to get rid of the stealth penalty from heavy armor.

For paladin spells, you'll have Bane and Hunter's Mark always ready to go. Plus four more of your choice off of the standard Pal list. You'll have 3 1st level spell slots to cast with.

For Warlock spells, you have 2 level two slots that refresh on a short rest.

You can use Paladin spell slots to cast warlock spells, and vice versa. You can also use Warlock spell slots to fuel Paladin smites.

Don't forget about skills, you'll have four in total. Also 2 tools/languages, a background feature, and 2 saves from your first class.

Go ahead and get stuff onto the character sheet.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 31st Oct, 2017 - 3:04pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Nov, 2017 - 9:58am / Post ID: #
Tazskan Daardendrien
Character
Follower / Middle Front
Character Sheet Lock
Rival Has a Rival
Genealogy Ancestral Line
Base Has a Home Base

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 47

The Protector. says...

Thanks Daishain, I was under the impression that the Warlock character side restricted the armor.
In other words be limited to 7 for being a Warlock.

I think I will go for the two-handed sword option, and when not using sheath, in scabbard behind back? (Is that right?)

I will forgo the shield, and smaller weapon. Not needing to use the War caster feat.

I will wear plate then, I thought a magic wielding character wasn't supposed to wear metal?

So just to put me in the picture. For example I could use a wand, orb or staff (With the arcane focus) in a ranged attack with an applicable spell.

But then when the opponent comes into melee range, I would need to place the wand or staff, in a suitable sack/ strap on my back? Which is?

I would then need to unsheathe the great sword or similar from the scabbard on my back. Then I would go into traditional melee combat with a sword.

For the Paladin, the style would be defense not duelist, to make things simpler.

Finally just to confirm with 4 skills in total, they can be 2 from Warlock and two from Paladin.
One tool plus one language or two tools instead.

Does the description of combat mentioned above sound like the sort of thing this character can do?

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2017 - 4:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 47

Spellcasters cannot cast in armor they are not proficient in, and druids cannot wear metal. You are not a druid, and thanks to paladin levels are proficient in all forms of armor, so you have no restrictions to worry about in this regard. 5E is pretty generous when it comes to such things.

The easy way to handle your arcane spellcasting focus is to have it be a crystal or amulet worn around your neck. Wield the greatsword normally, then when you want to cast a spell, just take a hand off of the weapon (You can do this without sheathing or dropping it), grasp the crystal/amulet, and cast.

As to skills, you get 2 from your first class, none from your second, and 2 from your background. The last two can be any skill, though it is highly preferable that they make sense given your history.

Look up backgrounds starting on page 125 of the PHB for an idea of how this works. Note: the backgrounds listed there are not rigid options, you are free to take an existing setup and adjust it, or to make something up entirely so long as it falls within the guidelines.

Go ahead and start putting stuff on your character sheet, I have to check the format of it as well as content before I can give you the thumbs up.

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.