Pressured to go on a Mormon Mission?

Pressured Mormon Mission - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Nov, 2003 - 6:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
You have reached the age of 18-19 and it is time to serve a full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Are you excited or merely following the crowd because everyone around you expects that you will do it? Do you see the blessings that will come or are you thinking about leaving your work, school or girlfriend (boyfriend)? Share your thoughts.
Pressured to go on a Mormon Mission? Related Information to Pressured to go on a Mormon Mission?
11th May, 2003 - 5:46pm / Post ID: #

Pressured to go on a mission?

Do you think members nag teenagers about going on a mission rather than encourage them to do so on their own free will? What are your thoughts on how we can encourage our youth and children to serve a mission.

Sponsored Links:
2nd Jun, 2003 - 8:35am / Post ID: #

Mission Mormon on to Pressured

Here is a good quote about serving from the Prophet:

The Blessings of Missionary Service - President Gordon B. Hinckley

international QUOTE
"I promise you that the time you spend in the mission field, if those years are spent in dedicated service, will yield a greater return on investment than any other two years of your lives. You will come to know what dedication and consecration mean. You will develop powers of persuasion which will bless your entire life. Your timidity, your fears, your shyness will gradually disappear as you go forth with boldness and conviction. You will learn to work with others, to develop a spirit of teamwork. The cankering evil of selfishness will be supplanted by a sense of service to others. You will draw nearer to the Lord than you likely will in any other set of circumstances. You will come to know that without His help you are indeed weak and simple, but that with His help you can accomplish miracles.

"You will establish habits of industry. You will develop a talent for the establishment of goals of will effort. You will learn to work with singleness of purpose. What a tremendous foundation all of this will become for you in your later educational efforts and your life's work."

(Gordon B. Hinckley, "Of Missions, Temples, and Stewardship," Ensign, Nov. 1995, 51-52)

7th Jul, 2003 - 12:47pm / Post ID: #

Pressured to go on a Mormon Mission? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Here is another good quote on the blessings of serving a full-time mission;

international QUOTE

"There is nothing that builds solid faith for the present and the future like serving a mission. How grateful I am for the mission which I was on more than sixty years ago. I think I was a fairly faithful young man in this Church, but going on a mission did something for me. I don't know how to define it, but it did something that has value every day of my life. I would like to see every boy have the opportunity of a mission."

(Gordon B. Hinckley, Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley, 365)

16th Jul, 2003 - 8:57am / Post ID: #

This is what it takes to serve a full-time mission and that is simply: "Love":

international QUOTE
"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race." (Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 4:227)

18th Jul, 2003 - 2:29pm / Post ID: #

You got to love Pres. Kimball's straight forward approach to topics, it makes you think so much. Here is such a quote that I find often true with young men who deliberate going on a mission:

international QUOTE
"My brothers and sisters, the day for carrying the gospel to ever more places and people is here and now. We must come to think of our obligation to share the message rather than of our own convenience. Calls from the Lord are seldom convenient. The time is here when sacrifice must become an even more important element in the Church."

(Spencer W. Kimball, "The Lord Expects Righteousness," Ensign, Nov. 1982, 4)

29th Jul, 2003 - 10:35am / Post ID: #

I was teaching a group of young men recently and I asked what their main goal was, most said that they want to go on a mission, however when I asked what they were really doing to prepare as far as finances, work, etc, most were silent.

international QUOTE
"I believe it is appropriate to compare the game of basketball to missionary work. The game of basketball includes not only the time you compete with another team on the court but also the hours of proper training and practice. The great work of saving souls is not limited to the two years that you serve a mission but, rather, requires years of righteous living and preparation in order to meet the standard for full-time missionary service."

(Daryl H. Garn, "Preparing for Missionary Service," Ensign, May 2003, 46)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Aug, 2003 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Pressured to on Mormon Mission

I can only speak from experience.  I know of several Missionaries in my Mission field, who were forced by their parents to go on missions.  One Elder didn't even make it to his own farewell, because he was drunk!  Another threw away his Cigarettes the night before he went into the missionhome, he later bacame my companion.  Another was promised a new car when he returned.  In fact his father wrote to him half way through his mission and told him that he had just bought the Catholic Church in their town, for him to do with as he pleased when he returned home.  I do not know how much of this is going on today, but I really hope it has stopped.  But I doubt it!

7th Nov, 2003 - 6:29pm / Post ID: #

Pressured to on Mormon Mission Mormon Doctrine Studies

One Elder didn't even make it to his own farewell, because he was drunk!

Now that is sad.

bought the Catholic Church

Huh? You mean bought the building?

Another was promised a new car when he returned.

This is the sad reason many go. Instead of the parents helping their children to focus on their mission from an early age, they wade out the time and then when the boy reaches 18 or 19 they start a torment of statements with regards to going on a mission. The preparation process should have begun long ago.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Pressured to go on a Mormon Mission?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,