Home Schooling - Page 4 of 7

Home schooling - Utahns Over the last few - Page 4 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 25th Apr, 2011 - 4:26pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

?
Poll: Do you think home schooling is better than public schooling?
  Yes       60.00%
  No       10.00%
  Sometimes       30.00%
Total Votes: 10
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Homeschooling - Homeschool - Home School - Unschool - Unschooling. Do children miss out from social interaction when you home school? Some parents say they are protecting their children from what is being highlighted in public schools, but can that also be over protection? Where are the best places to get a curriculum for home schooling? Place your thoughts now.
Home Schooling Related Information to Home Schooling
25th Mar, 2011 - 1:39pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling - Page 4

Clara - In the case of my sister's family, a lot of the learning is simply guided by the parents. The kids take the initiative. There are virtually limitless resources on the Internet now, including some universities who have nearly all their curriculum for free online. And not just some hokey no-name colleges, but Purdue, MIT, Utah State, Yale, UC Irvine, Oxford, etc. There are websites with free books like Project Gutenberg, and everyone now knows about Wikipedia. YouTube has hundreds of thousands of teaching videos. My sister doesn't speak Chinese or Spanish, but her daughter was motivated to learn both. My sister provided resources like books and computer programs that teach language, and provided opportunities for my niece to interact with people who speak those languages. You don't have to know a lot to guide your children to pursue their interests, and when it's interesting, they will learn.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Mar, 2011 - 7:12pm / Post ID: #

Schooling Home

Name: Nancy

Comments: For me the big draw back with homeschooling is that there isn't a standard. When you go to a public or private institution you can evaluate what a child is being exposed to but at home you cannot evaluate the future adult in the same way. Let me give you an example. Let's say I'm hiring and I know someone went to ABC high school. If I'm aware of that high school I can determine their grades and the standing of the school. With homeschooling as an employer I can't make that determination.

29th Mar, 2011 - 6:02am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Nancy - Many employers give basic tests to determine an employee's eligibility. Just because someone went to ABC high school doesn't mean they did well, even if it's a good school. In fact, many employers know that people who have been homeschooled tend to think "outside the box" because they haven't been subjected to the public school tendency to "group think." Also, homeschooling tends to produce more mature young adults who perform better in college. It's an old and ridiculous stereotype that says homeschooled kids are underachievers or maladjusted.

29th Mar, 2011 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Schooling Home

This is all really interesting. This isn't meant to be cute but what about things that others will talk about like prom night and varsity cheer leading. You want to be part of a group and school allows you to be in a team that seems to me to be something that homeschooling will not give.

30th Mar, 2011 - 5:24am / Post ID: #

Schooling Home

There are myriad homeschool groups that get together for all kinds of activities. We just went to a classical theater group production of "12th Night" last Saturday and it was fantastic! There are homeschool days at Disneyland, Sea World, and many museums.

What do homeschool kids miss out on? Bullying, foul language, kids disrespecting teachers, immorality, immodesty, inept teachers, bureaucracy, favoritism, fist fights, cliques, smoking, truancy, teen pregnancy, inappropriate sex education, s-xual harassment ... I could go on and on. The public school system isn't the be-all, end-all of education, and certainly not the greatest way for kids to learn how to behave as responsible adults.

What about prom? What I remember from my prom is kids snorting cocaine at their group tables, drinking alcohol to extreme excess, kids whose parents rented rooms for them in hotels where groups went together to get even more drunk and the couples all made out. And that was 30+ years ago, so you know it's worse now. My best friend's daughter got pregnant at one of those after-prom parties a few years ago, because some other mom decided to rent a hotel room for a half dozen kids, and then lied to the other parents about it - saying the girls were having a sleep over at her house.

How is that better than raising sensible kids to be sensible adults? Why are we exposing them to all of the ridiculous so-called rites of passage that have become the American norm? How many varsity cheerleaders were your friends? And why is that a desirable thing?

And, by the way, your public school is not allowed to provide a kid with sun screen or an aspirin, but the law will allow school personnel to give your daughter information on how to get birth control or an abortion without your consent or knowledge.

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2011 - 10:50am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling

The Homeschooled Kids and the Network Marketing Parent (Part I)
Home Schooling Tips

Homeschooling gives you, the parents, the privilege and pleasure of saving money while you're at home with the kids. At the same time, however, you can make lots and lots of money from your network marketing business.
Source: Reference-and-Education:Home-Schooling

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd Apr, 2011 - 10:50am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling - Page 4

Problem Solving Skills in the Home Schooled Learner
Home Schooling Tips

Problem solving is a learned skill and can be enhanced in your home schooled learners. To develop this skill your home schooled learners have to see you as a role model who has effective problem solving skills. Life allows us to have a large array of choices. Some decisions are simple but others require more effort. Problem solving is a normal reaction for us. It becomes second nature when making decisions.
Source: Reference-and-Education:Home-Schooling

Post Date: 25th Apr, 2011 - 4:26pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Home Schooling Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 4

Home schooling - Utahns

Over the last few years, more parents are choosing home school for the same reason as Barnes. From 2007 to 2010, the number of home-schooled children nationwide rose by about 25 percent to the current estimate of 2 million. There are a number of reasons why parents are choosing this option, but one of the main reasons for this is because parents are unhappy with the quality of instruction at public schools, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Ref. Source 2

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Home Schooling

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,