Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine - Page 3 of 12

The Church teaches that marriage is an essential - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th May, 2006 - 1:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (12) »
Jesus was a husband Ancient historians, apocryphal writings, and archaeological finds all confirm the evidence found in the scriptures and understood in light of early Jewish traditions: One of the earliest references to Jesus by a non-Christian was that of Aurelius Cornelius Celsus, a Philosopher and Physician, who lived until AD 38, who recorded that, "The grand reason why the gentiles and philosophers of his school persecuted Jesus Christ was because he had so many wives; there were Elizabeth and Mary and a host of others that followed him."
Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine Related Information to Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine
Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2004 - 12:02am / Post ID: #

Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine - Page 3

I want you to find where it says the Savior was actually married."

Have you ever read your Bibles? I must confess I have not read it for some time, but looked more to Him who rules on high, and to those who hold the words of life in the inspiration of the Holy Ghost; I look to them more frequently than to it. I have once memorized the Bible, and when any one quoted one verse, I could quote the next. I have memorized it in English, German, and Hebrew, still I do not profess to be very familiar with it now, yet the sentiments and spirit of it are in my heart, and will be as long as I live, and still remain when I am gone to another sphere. When does it say the Savior was married? I believe I will read it for your accommodation, or you might not believe my words were I to say that there is indeed such a Scripture.

We will turn over to the account of the marriage in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Yes, and somebody else too. You will find it in the 2nd chapter of John's Gospel; remember it and read it when you go home. "And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there: and both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it. And there were set there six water pots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. Jesus saith unto them, Fill the water pots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it. When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, and saith unto him"-that is, the ruler of the feast saith unto the bridegroom, "Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now."

Gentlemen, that is as plain as the translators, or different councils over this Scripture, dare allow it to go to the world, but the thing is there; it is told; Jesus was the bridegroom at the marriage of Cana of Galilee, and he told them what to do.

Now there was actually a marriage; and if Jesus was not the bridegroom on that occasion, please tell who was. If any man can show this, and prove that it was not the Savior of the world, then I will acknowledge I am in error. We say it was Jesus Christ who was married, to be brought into the relation whereby he could see his seed, before he was crucified.

Journal of Discourses, Vol.2, p.82, Orson Hyde, October 6, 1854

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st Mar, 2005 - 3:41pm / Post ID: #

Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine
A Friend

Doctrine Mormon Married Jesus

I speak of myself alone. I believe that Jesus was married, if he wasn't then he did not keep the whole law of Moses, thus he did not live a sinless life. According to Jewish belief if a person does not get married it is a sin. SO was Jesus married I believe that he was, to whom I do not know. Is there any evidence that he was married? He lived a sinless life, thus fulfilling the Law of Moses.

9th May, 2006 - 12:56am / Post ID: #

Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine Studies Doctrine Mormon

Christ was baptized, even though he was perfect and had no reason to. I figure he was married if not out of love, which I'm sure he had, out of example. He wants us to be married and have families, so I figure he married and had child/ren as well to show the world that it was what God has commanded. Remember the "Be fruitful and multiply?" And I'm sure that Jesus would have married before he was "fruitful" so I do believe he was married and had a child. Marriage and having children are both commandments of God, and wouldn't you think that Jesus followed all his Father's commandments?
Why they don't mention in the Bible plainly if he was married or not, is beside me. It could be for dozens of reasons. All I want to say is that I believe he was married and had a child or children. I believe he would have followed those commandments.
Angela

Post Date: 12th May, 2006 - 6:48am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 3 Doctrine Mormon Married Jesus

I have read the whole bible, and no there are no references to Christ being married but my seminary teacher at the time, who had been to jerusalem and studied jewish culture and whatnot told me that it was implied he was married because of some of the things he did and the status he held was usually held by a married man.

Message Edited!
Persephone: Removed off topic material. Topics within the LDS Board are proved only with LDS Doctrine. The other topics you mentioned such as the Da Vinci Code are also located within other parts of the Community - do a Search to find them. Please take the time to read our Constructive Posting Policy.

19th May, 2006 - 1:41am / Post ID: #

Doctrine Mormon Married Jesus

Here are a couple of very interesting little tidbits:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=266159&nid=148
LDS Church Issues Statement Regarding "The Da Vinci Code"

The film opens tomorrow at the Cannes Film Festival. The story suggests Jesus Christ married Mary Magdalene and they had a child. On the question of "Was Jesus Married?", a church spokesman said:

"The belief that Christ was married has never been official Church doctrine. It is neither sanctioned nor taught by the Church. While it is true that a few Church leaders in the mid-1800s expressed their opinions on the matter, it was not then, and is not now, Church doctrine."

Andrew Skinner, Ph.D., BYU Dept. of Religion: "There is nothing in the canonical New Testament, there is nothing in restoration scripture, there is really even nothing in non-canonical sources that you can use as evidence that Jesus was married or he wasn't married. The sources are silent on that aspect."

However, there is this little piece from a non-canonical source:
QUOTE (Jesus Was Married @ Ogden Kraut, pg. 95)
While visiting with Zina, she related a conversation that occurred between her and a Sister Repshire upon events in Nauvoo, where the Prophet Joseph Smith sealed her, Sister Repshire, to a Judge Adams of Springfield, Illinois.

The Prophet stated to her (Repshire) that Judge Adams was a literal descendant of Jesus Christ. The judge died in Nauvoo and Sister Repshire, his wife, who had been married before to Repshire, died at Hill Creek, Utah. (Oliver B. Huntington Journal, p. 259)

Or this one:
QUOTE (Jesus Was Married @ by Ogden Kraut, pg. 95)
In a solemn assembly held in the Salt Lake Temple, July 2, 1899, more information pertaining to the descendants of Christ was devulged. The Apostle George Q. Cannon made the disclosure after which the President of the Church, Lorenzo Snow, confirmed his statement:

President George Q. Cannon also spoke on the law of tithing. Among the other things, he said, "There are those in this audience who are descendants of the old Twelve Apostles--and shall I say it, yes, descendants of the Savior Himself. His seed is represented in this body of men.

Following Pres. Cannon, President Snow arose and said that what Bro. Cannon had stated respecting the literal descendants among this company of the old apostles and the Savior himself is true--the Savior's seed is represented in this body of men. (Journal of Pres. Rudger Clawson, pp. 374-375)

Of course, it was only opinion when Elder Orson Hyde proclaimed, in great detail, that Jesus Christ was married, and President Brigham Young never called it false doctrine, and allowed the saints in attendance to come to the conclusion that it was true doctrine.

And, it is only opinion that Joseph Smith was identified as a direct descendant of Jesus Christ.

Why, can SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY? Why does the Church deny doctrines and principles that were taught so clearly in the 1900s? Is is ONLY a matter of trying to appear like the Catholics and Baptists and Lutherans and Methodists, so that they will LIKE us? Why do we deny the wonderful knowledge that was restored by Joseph Smith, and embrace the apostate practices and doctrines of modern Christianity? Are we scared that we might appear to be a "peculiar people"?

19th May, 2006 - 2:43am / Post ID: #

I am surprised the Church even bothered to issue a statement on the subject. I am also surprised that it did not come from the First Presidency. I am curious as to why more has not ever been 'officially disclosed' with regards to the marriage(s) of Jesus and I feel the disclosure of a Heavenly Mother or the Virgin Conception is taken into consideration when looking for an answer - it is either not relevant enough - or we are not worthy enough. I believe the "not worthy" part is more true. However, we all within this Thread have come to the realization that Christ did marry, does anyone still doubt?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th May, 2006 - 1:34pm / Post ID: #

Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine - Page 3

I am really stumped as to why there was any statement issued. I am just as stumped as to why a couple of professors from BYU bothered to write a book about it. From all reports on the book, it appears to be an attempt to quietly deny the doctrine of Christ being married, without specifically making any sort of statement on the subject.

19th May, 2006 - 1:41pm / Post ID: #

Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

The Church teaches that marriage is an essential part of our Exaltation. Considering that Christ would seek baptism, why is it not logical to accept that he would also be married. It is true that no where specifically talks about Christ being married, but no where specifically talks about Him receiving an endowment, doing baptisms for the dead, or otherwise, but it does not mean it wasn't done. I believe the Saints are really not interested in this, otherwise the First Presidency would have issued a statement as in times past to clarify past doctrines. It will probably die down with the movie.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (12) »

> TOPIC: Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,