Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine - Page 4 of 12

dbclayton said: QUOTE I suppose it's - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Jul, 2006 - 10:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (12) »
Jesus was a husband Ancient historians, apocryphal writings, and archaeological finds all confirm the evidence found in the scriptures and understood in light of early Jewish traditions: One of the earliest references to Jesus by a non-Christian was that of Aurelius Cornelius Celsus, a Philosopher and Physician, who lived until AD 38, who recorded that, "The grand reason why the gentiles and philosophers of his school persecuted Jesus Christ was because he had so many wives; there were Elizabeth and Mary and a host of others that followed him."
Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine Related Information to Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine
19th May, 2006 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine - Page 4

It seems to me that the Church has a hard time to determine what is "opinion" and what is "doctrine" from past leaders. I would like to know who can really say that what Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and other leaders said centuries ago could be considered one or another? I think we need to be straight, if we do not want that everyone else is confused, then the Church leaders need to stop quoting from the Journal of Discourses as convenient on whatever topic they want to discuss and then disregard the parts that seem more controversial to their views.

Whether if Jesus was married or not is Church doctrine, the fact that the founder of our Church proclaimed himself as a literal descendant of Christ, leaves little or no doubt that in fact Christ was married.

There could be many reasons why the Church does not come forward with the topic. Could it be that maybe the early leaders have received a personal witness about this matter and our present day leaders have not? After all, I have heard Pres. Hinckley saying that there is no need for more "revelation" like in the times of Joseph Smith since all things have been restored, making it pretty clear that the Church is just "following" with what we already "know" and leaving a question in everybody's minds of whether Angelical Visitations and Revelations of the type of Joseph Smith are continuing or not at our present time.

These type of statements by a Church spokesman confuses more than it helps. The statement does not accept that Christ was married yet it does not deny it either leaving way too much room for speculation and lay doctrine between the members of our Church. After all, most members believe that he was married since if we read Doctrine and Covenants 132, we will know why.
If the Church has a problem accepting certain topics that may be controversial then may be the wisest thing to do is to stay quiet and give no statement. After all, the Lord says in Revelation 3:16 "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth"

Sponsored Links:
19th May, 2006 - 10:03pm / Post ID: #

Doctrine Mormon Married Jesus

What concerns me about this is the question of whether or not we are approaching this:

QUOTE (Alma 12:9-11)
9 And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.

10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

11 And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser portion of the word until they know nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell.

Post Date: 30th Jun, 2006 - 12:13am / Post ID: #

Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine
A Friend

Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine Studies Doctrine Mormon

That makes a lot of sense Nighthawk. It seems like the whole world is falling further away from God and Christ by trying to "uncover the truth". They aren't seeking in the right manner (though they might not know a better way) and it's only going to lead to those people not believing anything that is said in the scriptures. All of these debates cause doubt, and that erodes faith immensely. I hope our members don't fall under the same trend as the rest of the world... it's really saddening. sad.gif

30th Jun, 2006 - 1:00am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Doctrine Mormon Married Jesus

That's not quite what I meant.

In the 1800's, Brigham Young and other leaders clearly taught some doctrines. But since the time of Heber J. Grant, in particular, the Church has emphasized them less and less, until now they are considered false doctrine by many people. In fact, one of the Presidents of the Church has publicly proclaimed that one of BY's strong doctrinal themes is a false doctrine.

This one, about Jesus being married, is one of them. In early days, it wasn't even questioned. There is evidence that Joseph Smith was a descendant of Jesus Christ. If that is so, then Jesus had to have been married. Very few within the Church doubted it. It was taught in General Conference. Now, we "don't know." We "don't speculate". If it isn't taught clearly in the scriptures, we don't talk about it.

That is what I meant. I hope that we haven't been receiving the "lesser" amount of light, until we have now lost much of what was restored.

Post Date: 30th Jun, 2006 - 10:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Doctrine Mormon Married Jesus

Sorry Nighthawk. I guess the scriptures do speak differently to you depending on who you are. : )
I never heard about that being taught, though I'm probably too young to have heard it when it was current. Maybe it isn't confirmed as false doctrine, but it isn't necessary that we focus on it and continue to teach it until the time is right.

1st Jul, 2006 - 12:09am / Post ID: #

That is a very interesting point of view. It was clearly taught as true doctrine for decades in the mid-1800s. However, after 1890, this doctrine, along with a few other "deep" doctrines, were pushed aside.

My point of view is that the Church decided to make itself agreeable to Babylon, and in order to do so, gave up on the special doctrines that made us peculiar.

But that is a topic to be discussed elsewhere.

The point is, that at one time, it was a clear and unambiguous doctrine of the LDS Church that Jesus WAS married, and most likely had at least three wives.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 2nd Jul, 2006 - 11:48am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine - Page 4

I suppose it's a reasonable sacrifice, to do away with less-important teachings so that our church wouldn't be as unacceptable to others, and so more people would be drawn to the more important truths. Sometimes I wish I could just understand everything, all of what we have and maybe even what we don't yet have, and accept it as an entire truth.

2nd Jul, 2006 - 10:12pm / Post ID: #

Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

dbclayton said:

I suppose it's a reasonable sacrifice, to do away with less-important teachings so that our church wouldn't be as unacceptable to others,

Why we should be concern about our Church being "acceptable" to others? Then it seems like we are more concerned about what others think than the truth itself (even if it is not that "important"). The Brethren in the times of Joseph Smith were not concerned about that, why are we so concerned about it now?

I firmly believe Jesus was married and as it was stated before, it was something being taught. I do not see it as a less-important teaching because I think that knowing Christ was married help us tremendously to compare to our own lives to His and know that he never expected us to do something that he did not personally do.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (12) »

> TOPIC: Jesus Married Mormon Doctrine

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,