Emma Smith, Example?

Emma Smith Example - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th Sep, 2003 - 11:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
Emma Smith
Emma Hale Smith - also a KoZ2 - Kingdom of Zion Topic
Emma Smith, Example? Related Information to Emma Smith, Example?
13th Dec, 2002 - 10:52pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example?

Emma Smith

As we know... after the death of Joseph Smith, there was a lot of controversy among the members of the day about who should be the next prophet. Not much is mentioned about it in normal Church Sunday doctrine, but we do know that Emma went on the side of those who thought that the next prophet should be through the loins of Joseph Smith. Now the question is...

Was Emma throughly faithful, was she so weak or was there some misunderstanding?

Sponsored Links:
14th Dec, 2002 - 3:28pm / Post ID: #

Example Smith Emma

I do not think we should called her 'weak'. I think she was just a woman, a human being, like any of us. We have to remember that when Joseph Smith was killed may be she became very bitter because of how many things she went through with him. If she was really weak she would leave him long time before his death but she didn't. Sometimes no matter how close you can be from a Prophet, each one of us has their own opinions and thoughts. And remember that for her, Joseph Smith was her husband and companion rather than the one chosen by God.
She helped so much in the building of this Church and that's why I think we need to respect her, regardsless of what she did after the death of Joseph. And I think that's the reason the leaders of our Church ask us to respect her, because while Joseph was alive she was by his side, supporting him and giving him whatever he needed it.
Her mission was fullfill too...

5th Aug, 2003 - 6:03pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I do remember hearing a Prophet or two speak of Emma and how we should respect the right and just things she did for the Church, I wonder what her position in the eternities is now. There is some speculation that she was not happy with Joseph Smith having to start plural marriage. I wonder if she was able to accept it eventually.

6th Aug, 2003 - 1:06am / Post ID: #

Example Smith Emma

There is some speculation that she was not happy with Joseph Smith having to start plural marriage. I wonder if she was able to accept it eventually.

Well they say that even when she was dying she never accepted the fact that Joseph Smith had more than one wife, blaming everything to Brigham Young.

Post Date: 6th Aug, 2003 - 12:15pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example?
A Friend

Example Smith Emma

Well they say that even when she was dying she never accepted the fact that Joseph Smith had more than one wife, blaming everything to Brigham Young.

I wonder how this will all tie into the prophecy of D&C 132:54 "And I command mine handmaid, Emma Smith, to abide and cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else. But if she will not abide this commandment she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord; for I am the Lord thy God, and will destroy her if she abide not in my law."

I mean she was remairried to Lewis Bidamon in December 1847...

I know that she did many great things in the formative days of the church, but even the "elect"...

Matther 24:24 "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."

JST Matthew 1:22 "For in those days there shall also arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders, insomuch, that, if possible, they shall deceive the very elect, who are the elect according to the covenant."

Unfortunately for Emma, there was a false prophet who rose up... Joseph Simth III, her own son... He Organized the "RLDS" and his mother Emma followed him, I think mostly this happened because of the "rift" between her and Brigham Young...

And I hate to say it but if the phrase "the very elect, who are the elect according to the covenant" doesn't describe Emma an "Elect Lady" (D&C 25:1-6) then I'm not sure who it could refer to...

Emma shall remain revered by all the church for her part and sacrifice in the building of the church... her example should be her obedience to Heavenly Father's Plan before the death of her Husband... her failings in that time were bcause of her humanity - the 'natural man' - not because she lacked faith...

The fact that she was drawn away after Joseph's death, well that will be for Heavenly Father to judge... I know my mental state would not be as such to do anything if my spouse were killed in cold blood...

Just my ramblings on the subject...

6th Aug, 2003 - 3:18pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example?

Unfortunately for Emma, there was a false prophet who rose up... Joseph Simth III, her own son... He Organized the "RLDS" and his mother Emma followed him, I think mostly this happened because of the "rift" between her and Brigham Young...

Yes, and also the unconditional love she felt for her own son, who for sure remind her of her own husband.

Emma shall remain revered by all the church for her part and sacrifice in the building of the church... her example should be her obedience to Heavenly Father's Plan before the death of her Husband... her failings in that time were bcause of her humanity - the 'natural man' - not because she lacked faith... 

The fact that she was drawn away after Joseph's death, well that will be for Heavenly Father to judge... I know my mental state would not be as such to do anything if my spouse were killed in cold blood...

She went through much by just being the wife of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I think is very easy for people to just judge her but she went through hell. Her children died in tragic circumnstances, her husband in jail several times, the mob, the persecutions, the moving up and down, the plurality of wives doctrine and then the murder of her husband and brother in law. What do we expect? What person in their right mind is going to 'tolerate'/'accept' all these things without some kind of opposition or murmurs?. We are human beings and she even though was the wife of the Prophet was a human being too and she showed in my opinion the weaknesses that anybody would show in a situation like that.
Do you all remember Peter who was the most faithful of Jesus's Apostles? yes! he denied him, not even once but three times...can we judge him because of the weakness he had at that time?. I don't think so.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Sep, 2003 - 10:06pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith Example

Since we are granted an opportunity to reconcile ourselves in the next life (although more difficult) I am sure all worked out for a best (for Emma) and in the end the 'small' things (her emotions) will work themselves out.

Post Date: 10th Sep, 2003 - 11:30pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example?
A Friend

Emma Smith Example Mormon Doctrine Studies

I'm Super Active

I have studied a lot about Emma and have found out a lot of where church members have assumed a lot. I have heard a lot that Emma started the Community of Christ(RLDS). However, the movement which joseph III joined had been going and was the left overs of all those who were left in Naavou. Joseph III didn't take over as prophet until just over 20 years after the prophets death. He was asked by the people to be their prophet. The all thought that joseph's son should take over the job not because of Emma but because of William Smith, the prophets brother. He had been trying for the position right up to his death. What he was saying is what these people were believing in. Emma made a statement about the events to one of her decendants close to her death about this and it was along the lines of she wanted a religion for her sons and daughters that they could follow after their Father, she was however unable to join the saints in Salt Lake. With an ailing Mother in law to care for and no support from the brethren of the Church she chose not to go. Her sister in law was determined to go to Salt Lake with the brethrens help or not. If you look over Mary Fielding Smiths journey to Salt Lake, you could say that the brethren are to blame for her death. They were the source of most of her troubles go over. I think that Emma had her fair share of trials not only from mobbers etc but also from the members themselves. I have never read anywhere where it states that anyone wanted to help either Emma or Mary. I can see why she stayed.

When Emma died it is recorded that she rose up and cried Joseph. I believe that she never stopped loving him however she did stop living. Joseph was her source of strength, She relied on him and found it hard everytime that he was taken away from her. I believe that just like many people who stuggle by themselves and then fall away and don't deny the gospel that they will be judge differently. I personally think that Emmas life is a lesson to us Priesthood Leaders, we should be more concerned about the widowers and widows then the families. She needed support and didn't appear to have gotten it at all.

Well its my opinion only.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Emma Smith, Example?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,