Mormon Beliefs About Dinosaurs - Page 8 of 8

QUOTE Why would dinosaurs have been created - Page 8 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Sep, 2011 - 3:34am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 8 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 
Mormon Beliefs View Dinosaurs
Mormon Beliefs About Dinosaurs Related Information to Mormon Beliefs About Dinosaurs
10th Jun, 2010 - 9:39pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Beliefs About Dinosaurs - Page 8

international QUOTE (Skeptik)
That surprised me because Mormonism asserts that all existents, including deities, are in the natural realm...

Where did you get that from? What is your interest in Mormon theology about Dinosaurs if you are an atheist?

Sponsored Links:
11th Jun, 2010 - 3:21pm / Post ID: #

Dinosaurs Beliefs Mormon

Hello again, JB

It has always been my understanding that Mormonism embraced Naturalism as the result of the following revelation received by Joseph Smith:

international QUOTE
7 There is no such thing as immaterial matter. All spirit is matter, but it is more fine  or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes;
  8 We cannot see it; but when our bodies are purified we shall see that it is all matter.
(D&C 131)

Orson Pratt wrote an extensive treatise entitled "The Absurdities of Immaterialism" which defended this concept against the spirit-body dualism of other Christian sects. Various Church authorities, including Brigham Young, have repeatedly asserted that science and faith cannot conflict, since they deal with the same truths.

I was aware that there were many negative reactions to Darwin's theory as well as age studies of the earth from Church authorities during the 19th century, but such responses were common to all faiths during that period. Given Mormonism's emphasis on eternal progression and its naturalistic theology, my assumption was that evolutionary theory would eventually be an easy fit within its world view.

I had never had any discussions with contemporary Mormons about such issues, which is what attracted me to this thread and I was surprised by what appears to be grassroots opposition to what are now widely accepted scientific models. However, as Isiah53 noted, there appears to be a diverse range of opinions among Church members, perhaps especially among those with science backgrounds.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please look at how we use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

11th Jun, 2010 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Beliefs About Dinosaurs Studies Doctrine Mormon

Opinions among Church members are definitely hard line, to speculative to extreme. Such is the same with Dinosaurs and their place here as buried bones in the earth.

The part I dislike is when Members of the Church state "It is so..." or in other words the way they state their opinion is the way it is or Doctrinal and most times it is not. For this reason the Church in recent time has had to put a hard stand on what is Doctrinal and what is not - what is scripture and what is not (We Discuss this more deeply elsewhere). Thus what Orson Pratt may have said may be accepted or not depending on what school of thought you are in, therefore it can be seen as his opinion. With that said the quote from D&C has key parts to it:

international QUOTE
...but it is more fine  or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes;

Again, as I mentioned in another Thread concerning death and time - we can only discern based on material because that is what we know. Hence the definitive answer...

international QUOTE
8 We cannot see it...

Therefore as it cannot be calculated, inspected or dissected it is not relevant to reality or the material world.

Thus bringing all that off topic stuff back on topic - it is not likely to justify Dinosaur scenarios using Deity if there is no such proof of that - at least for those looking for that kind of evidence. Hence the dilemma - do we rest on science to give us the answers, wait til death and find out for ourselves or just come up with our own conclusions. Mormons have done all three or are in the process of choosing what they believe about it - doctrinally sound or not.

Post Date: 14th Jun, 2010 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Beliefs About Dinosaurs
A Friend

Page 8 Dinosaurs Beliefs Mormon

Think about this for a minute, This day we have many creature's that live around us, from Lizards to snakes, to birds to alligator's and crocodiles. And what about Sharks? I live in the desert south west in Texas and I have found sea shell's a thousand miles from the Sea. I remember reading recently that they have found a dinosaur fossil that even included Skin much like our modern lizards.
Did dinosaurs live on earth? I think the did while Adam and Eve were protected in the garden on Eden and when the were expelled from the garden the dinosaurs were wiped out of existence.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please check over your spelling using the built-in Spell Checker before posting your message. See Constructive Posting Policy

16th Jun, 2010 - 5:51pm / Post ID: #

Dinosaurs Beliefs Mormon

Why would dinosaurs have been created on this earth only to be wiped out so Adam and Eve could leave the Garden of Eden? Seems like a waste of life to me.

Post Date: 16th Jul, 2010 - 12:01am / Post ID: #

Mormon Beliefs About Dinosaurs

Name: Nick

Comments: This is one of those real tricky ones to get right.

I don't have the answer but I do have some logical questions as to them being placed here from some other creation to serve as fossil fuel.

First off, how much do you think dinosaurs would actually contribute to the source of material needed to create fossil fuels?

And if it is required...I call that really planing ahead.

Secondly. If they came from other unassembled worlds to be used for that purpose, why the heck go to the trouble of keeping them intact? Just throw them out there like compost...

Thirdly. If the world was formed the way the endowment depicts, then how were they preserved intact when all that volcanic chaos was such a big part of our planet's formation? I know God is capable of that but why the heck would he do it that way?

Fourthly. I know that what you've described is a common theory among the saints, but there are too many logical loopholes in the theory.

I agree with the girl who believes they were apart of this creation.

How to figure in their place and time is definitely a mystery, given the known scientific methods for determining the age of an object through radiation decay.

But I would ascertain that scientific methods can be flawed based on the way elements may have behaved very differently under the conditions of life before the fall and even after the fall when a man was able to live 900 years.

The theory that we had a 7,000 year creative period doesn't even have to come into play and would not explain the fact that carbon dating goes back millions of years.

If Time was none existent before the fall and certainly not acting the way it has since about the time of Abraham, then carbon dating is merely based on current fallen conditions we now see in the world.

I think it is possible that the current understanding of the radio isotope depredation process is merely based on conditions after the fall's full effect came about.

So the process of detecting the actual age of an object could be seriously scrambled based on differing conditions before and after the fall was complete.

Besides, the antediluvian world was said to be occupied by giants. Now are we talking physical or spiritual giants? Well seeing that it was the righteous sons of Adam reporting on the giants and comparing themselves to them, then it becomes obvious they were not spiritual giants being spoken of. So why not giant men chasing giant dinosaurs?

And what of the so called ancient skeletons of humanoids found among those bones of latter dinosaurs?

Were they placed there from some other worlds to be used as sterno for some more worthy race of beings?

That would seem to border on sacrilege on God's part.

Maybe those Giganapithicus apes that we have proof of, are merely those Giants that the sons of Adam were referring to.

Shoot, could you imagine a better mark to place upon the sons of Cain along with darkened skin?

What decent girl among Adam's children in her right mind, would want to marry a nine foot hairy black ape ?

And if you don't think men are capable of ape like behavior, then you have obviously not spent any time with me and some of my friends during Vietnam.

There must have been a lot going on in Cain's neck of the woods that never made the front page news back in Adam ondi Aman.

Either way, I find it hard to believe that the giant oil spill in the Gulf would not be able to sustain itself without a bunch of dinosaur carcasses thrown in to increase the deposits of oil for our sakes.

Just a few thoughts...

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Before submitting check your spelling. Join the Community to have access to a Spell Checker

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
15th Sep, 2011 - 3:34am / Post ID: #

Mormon Beliefs Dinosaurs - Page 8

international QUOTE
Why would dinosaurs have been created on this earth only to be wiped out so Adam and Eve could leave the Garden of Eden? Seems like a waste of life to me.

Part of the process of evolution. Dinosaurs were a necessary step in providing conditions for homo sapiens to evolve so spirit children of God could be placed in them (my own hypothesis).

The doctrine on D&C 77:6 in the D&C Institute manual says that the 7000 years of temporal time does not include the time used to prepare the earth as a dwelling place for man. So "temporal", as in temporal vs spiritual, does not mean what we usually think it means (physical vs incorporeal), but rather we now have an example of the physical creation occuring outside temporal time. A perfect place for evolution to swim without conflicting with LDS doctrine.

In addition, the doctrine found in OT Institute Manual for Genesis 1-2 tells us that the Church has no position on the age of the earth, so a 4.5 billion year old earth and a 13.5 billion year old universe also does not conflict with LDS doctrine.

In short, an LDS person can safely accept all science on the creation of the universe (Big Bang/String Theory) and evolution.

Reconcile Edited: bcspace on 15th Sep, 2011 - 3:37am

+  « First of 8 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 

> TOPIC: Mormon Beliefs About Dinosaurs

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,