What About Canadians? - Page 2 of 3

Hey, Yellowknife it's bad enough getting - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 6th Jan, 2007 - 10:25pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Why do they make fun of Canadians?
What About Canadians? Related Information to What About Canadians?
6th Sep, 2004 - 3:33pm / Post ID: #

What About Canadians? - Page 2

Hey everyone, I had a question regarding traveling to Canada. Recently I was up in Northern Minnesota, visiting Duluth and taking a drive along the scenic North Shore Drive, when it dawned upon us how close we were to the Canada border (about 100 miles) My wife had never been to Canada, and the last time I visited was when I was 4. We had the 1 year old with us as well, and thought about driving to and crossing the border. However, we did not know what would be required of us to cross the border, or return back to the US. Does anyone have any insight on the papers, identification, etc we would need if considering driving over to Canada and back? We may decide on driving up to Northern Minnesota every summer, so going to Canada could become a possibility. Thanks!

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Sep, 2005 - 9:46pm / Post ID: #

What About Canadians?
A Friend

Canadians What

Well it's nice to know the problems of Canada. As a future Yellowknifer it tells what I can expect. The thing that disturbs me the most is the Sharia law is independent of federal law. I believe that as long as you live in the country, you obey it's laws unless of course they are unjust like apartheid or segregation or corrupt.

As a future Northerner let me point out problems I anticipate which have not been mentioned:
Alcoholism: This is a problem north of 60 degrees. Mostly in the wintertime when supposdly,there is nothing to do, people drink in excess,get drunk,commit crimes,and wonder why. Also the natives of Nunavut who have poor education,poor in general. Nunavut also is run by a terrible government. Nepotism rules rampant, Ottawan profiteers run the capitol,Iqaluit and the whole Denmark/Canada border dispute problem.

Oh,I forgot, back to the natives of Nunavut, who have a disturbing custom that a daughter can be forecfully taken,with family consent,and forced to be the captor's wife.

Post Date: 20th Dec, 2005 - 3:19pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

What About Canadians? History & Civil Business Politics

DROP IN VISITORS TO CANADA: STATSCAN

The number of travellers to Canada for the month of October is the second lowest recorded in the past 12 years, according to a report from Statistics Canada.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...vel_051219.html

23rd Dec, 2005 - 10:42am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Canadians What

I love Canadians, I think they are great people! I haven't met a Canadian I haven't gotten along with. I think they have a similar sense of humour to us Aussies.

I think Americans make fun of Canadians much in the same way as we do to Kiwis. They are our smaller neighbour and subject to a bit of harmless bullying.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Post Date: 13th Feb, 2006 - 10:47am / Post ID: #

What About Canadians?
A Friend

Canadians What

Good on you Canada for putting up with it, We Kiwis love you all (if we can get away with it) for your silly heads and smiley faces (South Park Rocks).

Offtopic but,
As a smaller neighbour of yours arvhic, I take offense at the harmless bullying that your so called big brother countrymen foist upon us kiwis . :=)

If this is the way that Canucks feel about American jibes then I can sympathize entirely. Boo Hiss I say to the "holier than thou" attitude of larger countries. We have a valuable contribution to make to the world, we just have to find out what it is yet.....

Message Edited!
Persephone: Please use Offtopic tags when not directly referring to the subject. Check spelling before posting.

Post Date: 30th Mar, 2006 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

What About Canadians?
A Friend

What About Canadians?

QUOTE (AGene @ 16-Feb 04, 9:05 PM)
I went to Victoria BC in 1988 with my sisters for the July 4th holiday. Except for the 'Touristy' store fronts, you wouldn't have known you were outside the USA.

I don't think Canada is any colder than the northern most parts of North Dakota, Minnesota, etc. And there again, it depends on where in Canada you go.

I've heard that Quebec is really different, culturally(?), than the rest of Canada. That they consider themselves true Canadians. I met a woman from Quebec and I could hardly understand her, her French/Canadian accent was so thick. But from what I could understand, she made me want to visit Quebec. What she described was so quaint.

As for making fun of Canadians, I don't think it is any worse than how we poke fun of those from North Dakota, & Minnesota. I have relatives from both of these states, and believe me they DO talk slower than molasses sliding off a window pane at -20 degrees farenheight!

In my humble opinion of course!

Having lived in Canada, North Dakota, -- and Minnesota -- I fear that the existence of cold weather is hard to refute. Locally, the phrase is that the cold serves to "keep the riffraff out."

In fact, after the first few months of winter, one finds the tedium of unvarying low temperatures more annoying than the cold itself. Parkas can be quite comfortable if not exactly flattering.

Quebec is indeed different, but much of the distinctive culture is simply generic North American in a different language. They are less European than they like to think -- I also lived in France.

Canada is, however, another country. Its history is that of combatting a difficult climate and a colonial economy with a sparse population and resources stubbornly fixed, while having to do a lot of things in duplicate, I.e. in two languages. One of the lessons that one learns living on the Plains/Prairies is that survival is an accomplishment and depends upon cooperation and joint effort.

Don not underestimate the Canadians. If you are ever in Ontario, take note of on which side of the border are the memorials celebrating the battles of the War of 1812. And they were fighting the Nazis two years before the Americans were.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 19th Jul, 2006 - 10:24pm / Post ID: #

What About Canadians?
A Friend

What Canadians - Page 2

But Bob who is a hundred years old always got dragged into British wars, when he could have just as easily been sitting at home by the fire in his little log cabin in Manitoba eating pancakes with maple syrup, clearing the trees for his nice farm, perhaps a couple of goats and/or cows, and watch CBC's nightly broadcast telling about wackos from the Nazis to Al-Qaeda, while being thankful for living in Canada where he gets robbed by the federal government, who never thinks Canada pays enough for it's social programs, who is getting tired of the Americans making fun of Canadians and stealing their hospital beds without paying a dime, Canadian or American.

Maybe, he will visit his relatives in Winnipeg today and make sure they made it through another bitter winter and absurdly hot summer.

Post Date: 6th Jan, 2007 - 10:25pm / Post ID: #

What About Canadians?
A Friend

What Canadians Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Hey, Yellowknife it's bad enough getting slammed here without you jumping in with the Winnpeg jackboots. And FYI it's bacon and eggs for breakfast.. this is coming from the place where they have two seasons; winter and mosquitoes...

Reconcile Edited: Charles R on 6th Jan, 2007 - 10:26pm

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: What About Canadians?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,