Having A Gun In The House - Page 6 of 14

I do not see the improtance of having a gun, - Page 6 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 5th Dec, 2005 - 8:54am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 14 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (14) »
Top  Having Gun In House Are you for it or against it?
Having A Gun In The House Related Information to Having A Gun In The House
Post Date: 3rd Dec, 2005 - 4:52pm / Post ID: #

Having A Gun In The House
A Friend

Having A Gun In The House - Page 6

I do know that most places that sell guns do a background check on people who are wishing to buy one. The problem is, people who have had infractions because of their use of a gun can still buy them online and other places where a background check is not needed.

Offtopic but,
I apologize if I mistook your accusation, Nighthawk. When somebody uses the phrase "you all" I assume it means me as well. I was just trying to clarify that I was not saying what you thought everybody was saying.

Reconcile Edited: BabyBlues on 3rd Dec, 2005 - 4:53pm

Sponsored Links:
3rd Dec, 2005 - 5:02pm / Post ID: #

House The Gun Having

I do know that most places that sell guns do a background check on people who are wishing to buy one.

I am not in the US so probably you can help me on this. Do every US state requires such a background check before someone purchases a firearm?. I am not quiet sure about it.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 3rd Dec, 2005 - 5:09pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Having A Gun In The House History & Civil Business Politics

I don't know about every state, or even every store. I do know that pawn shops in the state of Florida run a check. The only reason I know that is because I used to babysit some kids who have a parent who owned two pawn shops. He ran background checks. The way he spoke made it sound as if they were required to.

3rd Dec, 2005 - 11:15pm / Post ID: #

Page 6 House The Gun Having

A background check is required in every state, as it is a federal law (Brady Bill 1993). In California, you have to complete a certification course on how to properly care for and clean a gun, etc., before you can buy one. And there is a waiting period of a few days if you purchase through a regular shop. I'm not sure if Internet or gunshow purchases are subject to these requirements (it would be difficult to do in these instances).

The background check covers only criminal activity. So if you've never been arrested, you basically have no background. Psychological problems are considered health issues and are confidential.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

4th Dec, 2005 - 7:56am / Post ID: #

House The Gun Having

Can you imagine if little Johnny came to a 1st grade class and said that his dad took him out to a range and taught him how to use a handgun, what the teacher would do?

I'd be very disturbed if little Johhny is being taught how to use a gun. What if he gets hold of Johhny Snr's gun and plays cops and robbers with his mates?

How on earth is a 1st grader mature enough to be responsible for a firearm? Are we going to start teaching them to drive cars and do other dangerous things?

In some regions, mostly very rural areas, children know how to deal with guns because their parents and friends all have talked about how to deal with guns.

Yeah and in plenty more countries children are abducted, trained to use firearms, and go around killing innocent civillians as part of a militia. The issue here isn't whether children are capable of using a gun. It's not rocket science. But are children mature and responsible enough to use guns for the right purpose, if there is such a thing?

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

4th Dec, 2005 - 2:35pm / Post ID: #

Now, did I say anything about making little Johnny responsible for the use of a gun? No, I said he was trained in the safe use of, and knowledge of, a gun. That training would consist of instruction in the fact that a gun is NOT a toy, that the barrel must never, ever be pointed at a person, and that all guns are treated, always, as if they are loaded.

It is the children who are NOT taught these things who go and get real guns and shoot other children.

So, you prove my point. Everyone gets their knickers in a twist if they learn that a parent teaches their children that guns are tools, dangerous tools, that require respect and care. Arvhic, you immediately proved my point by reacting with a visceral emotional argument. Then you jumped into a completely different subject, talking about the horrible things that happen to children in countries and cultures that don't respect life, and especially consider their children as expendable resources (some Central American countries, Palestine, Iran, Somalia, etc.). This argument has no place whatsoever in this discussion about having guns in the home for protection of life and property.

Last night, I was thinking about this subject, and decided to look up some statistics. Here is something I found.

https://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/yourchild/guns.htm

The 2002 edition of Injury Facts from the National Safety Council reports the following statistics [ 1 ] :

* In 1999, 3,385 kids ages 0-19 years were killed with a gun. This includes homicides, suicides, and unintentional injuries.
    * This is equivalent to about 9 deaths per day, a figure commonly used by journalists.
    * The 3,385 firearms-related deaths for age group 0-19 years breaks down to:
          o 214 unintentional
          o 1,078 suicides
          o 1,990 homicides
          o 83 for which the intent could not be determined
          o 20 due to legal intervention
    * Of the total firearms-related deaths:
          o 73 were of children under five years old
          o 416 were children 5-14 years old
          o 2,896 were 15-19 years old

Now, I certainly agree that 214 unintentional deaths (as well as 1,078 suicides and 1,990 homicides) is a horrific number. However, compare that to the number of overall deaths (if you can find actual numbers). A whole bunch of questions come up when I look at these numbers.

1. What other ways did children commit suicide? How many died from drug overdoses, knives, razor blades, jumping, etc.

2. What other ways were children murdered? What kind of numbers are there?

3. How many children died from other forms of accidental death? How many died in car accidents, from accidental poisoning, from drowning in the bathtub, from fires, from falling, etc.?

What I see when looking for statistics on the internet is that most of the sites focus only on the gun numbers, because guns have been demonized, similar to the way that some here are doing. Since some people blame guns (not the people) for the problems, they only bring up the gun violence and statistics.

BTW, you are absolutely right that in countries where guns are strictly controlled, there is a lower incidence of gun violence. However, that doesn't mean that there is a lower incidence of violence, just that other means are found. For example, several years ago, I heard Paul Harvey report that Mexico, which has extremely tight gun control, led the US by a very long ways in violent crime in general, but in especially in homocide. The favorite form of homocide in Mexico was a machete. Not having guns in Mexico really helps. Doesn't it.

Of course, in Mexico the people who have guns are the criminals, and the people have no way to defend themselves against the criminals.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 4th Dec, 2005 - 9:44pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Having Gun The House - Page 6

I think the problem is not simple, and depend of the culture of the people.
Fire arms recurred a relative long training with hundreds round spared to be efficient, which many criminals have.
Protect the house, car, from burglars attack could be more efficient with electronic alarm systems, dogs, traps, chemical substances, and others which are non lethal.

Message Edited!
Persephone: corrected spelling. Please use spell checker before posting.

5th Dec, 2005 - 8:54am / Post ID: #

Having Gun The House Politics Business Civil & History - Page 6

I do not see the improtance of having a gun, it only puts others at risk, the chances of someone breaking into your house are less than that of a little kid finding it and playing with it, It's just not smart, My little Nephew was killed that way, jimmy lawson was his name. Found my Uncle's 9mm standard issue pistol since he is with the F.L.P.D and he accidentally shot himself with it.

It sucks, I used to take the kid every where and go to Disney with him and everything, and now look at what happened. I am never going to see my cousin again who died at 6 years old, just because his father didn't properly hide the gun.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 4 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.4%

> TOPIC: Having A Gun In The House

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,