Having A Gun In The House - Page 2 of 14

Well at least they can keep guns out of the - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 29th Jul, 2004 - 1:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (14) »
Top  Having Gun In House Are you for it or against it?
Having A Gun In The House Related Information to Having A Gun In The House
11th Jun, 2004 - 1:26am / Post ID: #

Having A Gun In The House - Page 2

Well, first I want to say, I believe it is everyone's right to own a gun if they choose. Second, gun control doesn't keep guns out of the hands of criminals, just honest people. I live in Massachusetts. We have some of the strictest gun control laws in the US, yet I don't think our crime rate is lower than it is any place else in the country.

Having said all of that, I don't think a gun purchased for protection in the home is a wise thing. I don't think it really protects you. If someone breaks into your home while you are asleep, you need to get up, unlock the gun from where it is stored and then unlock the ammo probably locked up separately, then load the gun and then use it to protect yourself. By then, it is probably too late.

Some people need to transport large amounts of cash for business purposes. I think in those cases, it probably makes sense to carry a weapon loaded and ready. However, in the home for protection, I don't think it makes a lot of sense.

Incidently, I personally know someone whose youngest son was killed in the home by the older brother, by accident when the two were playing with the gun that was in the home for protection. These kids were old enough to know better, but they were playing with it just the same. The gun was locked up one place and the ammo in another, yet the kids managed to get both unlocked and play with it.

I grew up with lots of rifles in the house. My dad was a hunter. I am not anti gun. I absolutely think it is anyone's right to own one, I just think protection is the worse reason to decide to own one.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Jun, 2004 - 6:24am / Post ID: #

Having A Gun In The House
A Friend

House The Gun Having

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 10-Jun 04, 6:26 PM)
If someone breaks into your home while you are asleep, you need to get up, unlock the gun from where it is stored and then unlock the ammo probably locked up separately, then load the gun and then use it to protect yourself. By then, it is probably too late.

I was going to bring that up. Thanks Tena, you said it better than I could have.
I have a gun. I got it when I was working at our Tavern alone and bringing home the cash every night. There was always a car following me home. Driving by the Police Station was not an option, it was in the wrong direction and the County Sheriff was 20 miles in the other direction.

One rainy night about two streets from my house a dog darted out of the bushes, I slammed on the brakes and the car following me with no lights on, hit me. I was so terrified I gunned the car, hit the garage door opener and screeched into my garage and had the door closing as I just cleared the thresh hold. I had the gun in my hands and I crawled into the house and dialed 911.

It was the city cop who had been following me. I lived outside of the city limits, so it was the sheriff who responded. Yes, he was arrested. And yes the city fired him. When all was over and done, the Sheriff's Deputy *secured* the house and checked my gun the safety was still on. In my terror, I had forgotten to release it!

The gun has been kept in one room the clip and ammunition in another ever since. I prefer an 18" long crescent wrench instead! Yep, it is a heavy sucker ~ cost me $50.00 too ~ but it can be kept real close and even if the cats or my friends kids play with it, the most harm that will come is they will drop it on their toes. Or break the mirror on my closet door. I am real good at swinging it and hitting what I am aiming at!

Incidently, I personally know someone whose youngest son was killed in the home by the older brother, by accident when the two were playing with the gun that was in the home for protection.

Unfortunately that happens here. I know of two families personally where that has happened. This area is BIG on hunting. And children are routinely taken on the hunts starting at about 8 years of age. The weapons involved were not handguns though, they were rifles.
Offtopic but,
There doesn't seem to be Spell Check in the Winter White mode.

Post Date: 11th Jun, 2004 - 9:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Having A Gun In The House History & Civil Business Politics

I'll tell you this much, a burglar in your home hearing the pumping of a shotgun, will run in a hurry, even if it is unloaded. I had that happen when I lived with a roommate. We had someone in our apartment, all my friend had to do was say "I have a shotgun, and will use it if you don't leave, (silence), the ch-chink of a shotgun being pumped is what caused him to leave. He was falling over himself trying to leave so fast. Of course in the mean time I was on the phone with the cops and the guy was later arrested for trying to break in to a different appartament.

It's not about being in the wild west again, or daring people to mess with me. I will choose to protect myself with whatever I am allowed to. I am one that refuses to become another statistic. As far as having to worry about going to your gun, then to your ammo, that is what makes it more safe in my opinion. You give yourself a chance to wake up, and a chance to warn whomever is breaking in that you have the gun. Keeping a loaded gun in your nightstand is the worst idea, simply due to the fact you could wake up and shoot before you give someone the chance to identify themselves.

Also, when you hear stories of kids getting to the guns and shooting another person, that is 100% on the parents. First of all, you use a combination gun safe, that way there is no key for the kids to find. From there, just make sure you don't open it in front of the kids.

When someone breaks into your house, simply acknowledging their presence will scare most of them away. If they don't leave, they're after something or someone specific. That's when a gun comes in to play.

20th Jul, 2004 - 9:13am / Post ID: #

Page 2 House The Gun Having

I was recently introduced to the following movie (speakers on!) regarding gun control, very sobering:

https://www.cphv.com/fl_legacy.htm

Dubhdara.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 100 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 10%

20th Jul, 2004 - 10:18am / Post ID: #

House The Gun Having

I'll tell you this much, a burglar in your home hearing the pumping of a shotgun, will run in a hurry, even if it is unloaded. I had that happen when I lived with a roommate. We had someone in our apartment, all my friend had to do was say "I have a shotgun, and will use it if you don't leave, (silence), the ch-chink of a shotgun being pumped is what caused him to leave.

This won't work if he has a gun and it is loaded. Now, you have threatened his life, so he must shoot first to prevent himself from being shot. Since your gun isn't loaded, you can't possible shoot first. I believe most statistics show that in the majority of cases, having a gun in the home doesn't help prevent crime in any way. That isn't to say there aren't times when it does, but more often than not it hurts rather than helps those who live there.

Again, I am not against gun ownership. I just think protection from crime is not a good reason to own one. I think it is a false sense of security. Hunting, fine. Target shooting, fine. Protection, not likely, in my opinion.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

21st Jul, 2004 - 4:05pm / Post ID: #

In reply to MrB's comments, since Australia and England have both enacted pretty much all of the laws that MrB explained, the violent crime rate has risen dramatically. When criminals KNOW that victims have no defense, there is nothing to keep them from committing their crimes.

It is now to the point where even using something like a baseball bat to protect yourself in some places will send you to jail - even if it is against an intruder.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Jul, 2004 - 4:44pm / Post ID: #

Having Gun The House - Page 2

As Nighthawk infers, crime - especially gun-related crime - has soared since more draconian measures have been put in place to violate our own English Bill of Rights which protects the lawful right to keep arms by all citizens (well, except Catholics but we won't go into that!).

I do not understand why Tenaheff thinks guns in the home do not prevent crime; that they are not so much for protection as for hunting, etc. Perhaps she could explain?

Dubhdara.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 100 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 10%

29th Jul, 2004 - 1:41pm / Post ID: #

Having Gun The House Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Well at least they can keep guns out of the work place, but does that count if you are just passing through?

EDITORIAL: PRIVATE PROPERTY AND GUNS

Utahns who struggle with their Legislature's insistence that concealed weapon holders should be permitted to tote guns into public schools, university campuses and some other public buildings were, undoubtedly, pleased with a recent Utah Supreme Court ruling that gives heft to private employers' policies to ban guns from the workplace.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...80411%2C00.html

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (14) »

> TOPIC: Having A Gun In The House

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,