The Others - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 5th Jan, 2006 - 1:23am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 

The Others - 2001 - Not all is as it seems
The Others Related Information to The Others
Post Date: 19th May, 2004 - 5:31pm / Post ID: #

The Others

The Others

The Others sets itself in England where fog and an old English mansion are the stage. The central Star, Nicole Kidman, gives a beautiful performance. To say what this movie is about is to give away all the twists and turns it has. How do you rate it?

Keywords: Ghost, Ghosts, TheOthers, Dead

The Others
The Others (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
21st May, 2004 - 9:16pm / Post ID: #

Others The

I haven't seen the movie as yet, my husband keeps talking about it and I cannot wait to see it. I heard the review as excellent.

Post Date: 26th May, 2004 - 11:31pm / Post ID: #

The Others
A Friend

The Others Sports & Fashion Music Movies

I thought it was a good movie, but you're right, to speak much about it would spoil it for someone who has not seen it.

SPOILER INFO

It's one of those movies that you assume something all the way through the movie that is not accurate. In the end, you have to go back and reevaluate the whole thing, kind of like The Sixth Sense.

Message Edited!
JB@Trinidad, had to put the spoiler text there since your statement is the whole movie in a nutshell wink.gif

2nd Nov, 2005 - 4:52pm / Post ID: #

Others The

What a great movie, it keeps you interested from beginning to end and does not turn out like 'The Village'. Actually there are parts to this movie worth diving into, but not without revealing crucial parts that may not be known to someone who has not viewed it as yet.

3rd Nov, 2005 - 3:31pm / Post ID: #

Others The

I loved the movie. I watched it twice and I think Nicole Kidman acts great in that role. The whole story line is unique and keep you guessing until the last minute. I saw that it was an excellent movie.

3rd Nov, 2005 - 8:24pm / Post ID: #

The Others

Spoiler

I am interested in several parts of the movie of which we can try to analyze here:

1. Were the ghosts in a 'limbo' state? I know this is a catholic belief system.

2. The husband and father that returned awkwardly in my mind is based on the following: After the war was over (when he was alive) he returned home to find the kids were dead because of his wife, he became depressed and went back to the front? No, but that would not make sense, since the war was already over. Could it then be that he took his life after hearing the news of the suicide of his wife and murder of his children?

3. The others, were they supposed to be the guardians of those that passed on into the next world? If so, why?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th Jan, 2006 - 12:42am / Post ID: #

The Others

SPOILER

I thought this was a fantastic movie. In answer to your questions,

1. They may very well have been in limbo, but the mother committed suicide so she should've gone to Hell if you follow the catholic beliefs. I think you might be reading too much into the movie.

2. The husband, I have no clue as to why he showed up when he did. To venture a guess or two, maybe he was shot, died and went to Heaven, maybe he just had a near death experience, maybe he grew old and died, but when he visited her on his way to heaven she saw him as she remembered him.

3. I think the other ghosts were the original owners of the house, who must've lived and died there and not wanted to move on. I think the others that the title is based on are the people who were living there. The people who were actually alive.

Reconcile Edited: Tastanagee on 5th Jan, 2006 - 12:45am

5th Jan, 2006 - 1:23am / Post ID: #

The Others Movies Music Fashion & Sports

QUOTE (Tastanagee)
I think you might be reading too much into the movie.

I doubt, there are deliberate references to the Bible, basic belief systems and even limbo within the movie. Note the times when the mother tried to get her children to read the Bible and the little girl's rebellion against it because she could not ask questions her mother did not know. I believe the script writer / author has placed this here for a reason.

QUOTE (Tastanagee)
...maybe he was shot, died and went to Heaven

He really does not look like someone on their way or coming from heaven, in fact he looks like he is part of a grim scenario either not yet played or the consequence of such. I believe he too may have committed suicide, possibly of a consequence of what he saw when he returned home or just bitter sadness not being there for them when they needed him.

With #3 I agree with... the name is really one of the best, it is so simple, yet so meaningful.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: The Others

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,