Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 573 of 590

Out of Character: Seems like a good start - Page 573 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 19th Feb, 2018 - 11:51pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

26th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Fighter
Fighter
Ranger
Ranger
Barbarian
Barbarian
Warlock
Warlock
Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin
Rogue
Rogue
Draconian
Draconian
Wizard
Wizard

+  « First of 590 pgs.  569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577  ...Latest (590) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons Dragons Dungeons & Dragons - KNtoran
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 16th Feb, 2018 - 4:59pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread
A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 573

"Avan, feel free to ask around about help with the draconids, but I suspect we'd have to hire such help, and this mishap is leaving us a bit light on army buying funds. It would be more prudent to tackle another challenge and build up both strength and capital, especially since Albrecht has left us."

Out of Character: Oh, wow, I didn't notice Avan had that much funds. A little under 180k. He's a lot richer than Bastion right now. That should be enough to replace everything he lost.

As to Rivoril and Arylinia, the offer stands, I think Bastion loaning the two of you 10k apiece would be appropriate (With him getting 10k worth of your share at the end of the next adventure). If spent smartly, it would net you some nice stuff. Fair enough?

If anyone needs advice on picking items, let me know.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 16th Feb, 2018 - 5:01pm

Sponsored Links:
16th Feb, 2018 - 6:06pm / Post ID: #
Arilynia
Ranger
Character
Follower / Right Rear Flank
Character Sheet ◀
Active Player Active Role-player!

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Lady of the Plains says...

Bastion, that is more than fair and I appreciate any and all help you can provide.

17th Feb, 2018 - 1:34pm / Post ID: #
Rivoril
Rogue 2nd Beguiler 1st
Character
Novice / Middle Front
Character Sheet Lock
Associates Has 2 Associates
Base Has a Home Base

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread Archive Pathfinder / D&D

The Resiliant says...

That, sounds fair Bastion, and to answer your question about picking items.

Sure, I could use a bit of help. I guess it depends what, adventuring pathway we are on? Both collectively, and independently.

Judging by the previous encounters, offensive magic seemed to be lacking, and the trap making skill not proving useful? This is in relation to the more urban, encounter's as opposed to the trap laden dungeon type.

Obviously, Rivoril would need a bit more versatility, to remedy this. Any suggestions here are most welcome.

Depending on how long the downtime is between missions, which KN will determine. Will, determine what applicable training can also be done?

As for magic ideas, Wizards could work because its main attribute is INT. That's if Rivoril multi-classes into Rogue 1st and Wizard 1st.

18th Feb, 2018 - 12:54am / Post ID: #
Avan Ohek
Druid 5
Character
Lieutenant / Head
Character Sheet Lock

Page 573 Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Dark Druid says...

Training is done overnight, as long as there's enough XP you should level up and gain full benefits.

After Avan does his purchases, he can also lend some money, to increase the survivability of Rivoril and Arilynia. Maybe rings of invisibility or some kind of contingency spell.

However I have a lot of stuff to do and I tend to slow down during the level up anyway, so it may take a couple of days. Sorry in advance!

Post Date: 18th Feb, 2018 - 4:17am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Bastion roots around in his bags for a time and comes out with two hefty purses filled with platinum and gems.

"You two have proven willing to walk with us into a very dangerous situation, and are asking to do so again. With that in mind, I would prefer to see to it that the two of you walk back out of the next one. Let us go to the markets, and see what we can find for the two of you. This is a loan, if one with an indefinite payback period and no interest. All I ask is that the next time there's a big payday for this band, that you grant the value of this back to me from your shares. If on the other hand you choose to leave before then, I'll be asking for what we purchase today to be turned in. I feel I can trust you with this, please do not disappoint me."

Out of Character: That's 10,000 gp for each of you.

Okay, so purchasing advice:

-Mithril Breastplates would be excellent investments for both of you, there's not much point in anything else if you cannot avoid getting hit. They'd run 4,200 gp, or 5,200 if you go for a +1 version.

-A little additional protection can be bought pretty cheaply, 2k a pop for +1 deflection AC (Ring of protection), or +1 to all saves (Cloak of resistance)

-If not trading in your standard weapons for magic ones, at least get masterwork versions thereof. Those little bonuses to hit and reductions to ACP can really make a difference. It is also worthwhile to pick up masterwork tools for your primary skills. Masterwork thief's tools will add to Rivoril's lockpicking checks.

-You can get more damage out of a bow if you get a composite version thereof, tailored for however much strength you have to apply. A composite bow does not cost a great deal more than the standard version.

-I'd suggest finding ways to avoid being pinned, debuffed, or otherwise rendered irrelevant on the field. There's not much you can necessarily do about some of that in your budget, but one of the most effective methods is an Anklet of Translocation. 1,400 gp, grants 2/day swift action 10' teleports. That's not far enough for transport, but it is one of the very few ways to get out of a grapple or a web and still have both an action and a move left over to use in the same turn.

-It is also worth considering to get an item to boost your primary attribute, probably Dexterity for both of you. It is 4k gp a pop for a basic +2 bonus, so its expensive, but it is an effective enough boost that it probably should be on the top of your next shopping list if you don't get it this time.

-Finally, spell items. Arilynia as a ranger has a lot of spells that can very much come in handy, but she probably wouldn't prepare without advance notice because there's too much to choose from and the situations in which they're useful are rare. If Rivoril does go Wizard, he'll be in the same boat. Scrolls, wands, and eternal wands can bridge that gap. Take the Endure Elements spell for instance. How often do you wake up in a temperate climate expecting to be dealing with subzero weather by the end of the day? Its a plausible scenario in a Dungeons & Dragons world, and you'd really want the spell on hand if it happens. Someone on hand with a Wand of Benign Transposition would be a potent force on the field as well. Imagine for instance if the enemy cornered Avan, and suddenly Bastion's standing there instead.

Some manner of Extradimensional space is also useful. The most efficient of such items is likely a Handy Haversack. For 2,000 gp, it'l haul just about everything you'd ever need in the field, and save you from having to dig for it to boot.

P.S. It would likely be prudent for everyone to make Gather Information checks. It looks like I didn't roll horribly, but it should be possible for people to do a fair bit better. The better the GI checks, the more likely we are to get a good mission to do.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 18th Feb, 2018 - 5:15am

19th Feb, 2018 - 7:20am / Post ID: #
Rivoril
Rogue 2nd Beguiler 1st
Character
Novice / Middle Front
Character Sheet Lock
Associates Has 2 Associates
Base Has a Home Base

The Resiliant says...

"Again, I agree to your kind and generous offer," says Rivoril, to Bastion.

Out of Character: I will go ahead and make the changes on the character sheet now. Then wait, for KN's directions.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Feb, 2018 - 3:30pm / Post ID: #
Arilynia
Ranger
Character
Follower / Right Rear Flank
Character Sheet ◀

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread - Page 573

Lady of the Plains says...

Bastion -
I what to thank you for loaning me the 10,000 gold in order to help me survive better on our adventures.
Here is what I was thinking for me:
4,200 -Mithal Breastplate
2,000 -Ring of Protection(+1 deflection)
1,400 -Anklet of Translocation
2,000 -Handy Haversack
100 -Composite Longbow
9,700 Total

Which leaves 300gp for scrolls, and wands. With me at L2, I can do CLW as a spell, but know in the field the wand for such would be better and already prepared.
Is there any other spell or spell item you think would be good for me?

Post Date: 19th Feb, 2018 - 11:51pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 573

Out of Character: Seems like a good start to me. I should note that enchanting the breastplate to +1 is cheaper than the ring of protection. (1k vs 2k) Only advantage of the latter is it applies to all forms of AC rather than just touch and flatfooted. (Not that the difference is not significant, but we're not facing many touch attacks at present)

Also, forgot to mention it, but a Masterwork Buckler would be 165 gp, can be freely used with a bow, and has an ACP of 0. So that's a nearly free +1 AC bonus. If you can find another 1k somewhere that bumps to +2.

We already have a couple of CLW wands that are party property rather than personal, I suggest that you carry one.

1st level Ranger spells that are good to have as a scroll: Alarm, Delay Poison, Speak With Animals, Endure Elements, Bloodhound, Camouflage, Embrace the Wild, Raptor's Sight.

Higher level Ranger spells that might be worth obtaining early via scrolls: Swift Haste, Wind Wall, Mark of the Hunter, Freedom of Movement, Arrow Storm, and Blinding Beauty.

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.