Harry Potter - Page 3 of 11

AUTHORS TO ROWLING: DON'T KILL HARRY - Page 3 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 2nd Aug, 2006 - 1:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (11) »
Harry Potter Here Is One Review: I have a nephew that just loves Harry Potter. He thinks Harry Potter is the greatest thing next to ice cream sundaes. He has all of his movies that are out in the stores and all the merchandise with the Harry Potter logo on it, toys, bed sheets, books, pens, etc. I have bought much of the Harry Potter stuff for him. Including his first Harry Potter book. I have tried to read the books and even rented one of the movies to see if Harry Potter was all that and a pack of chips. But I just couldn't rate him to well. Maybe Harry Potter and I were never ment to be.
Harry Potter Related Information to Harry Potter
24th Dec, 2004 - 12:08am / Post ID: #

Harry Potter - Page 3

I must admit I do like the Harry Potter books. No, they're not as good as LotR - and I agree with Ambria that they cannot really be compared.

Tolkien is just the best ficiton writer of his class (if there is anyone else in it!).

Rowling on the other hand is the best in her class, imho. She has written with fluidity, imagination, detail and warmth. Her books are easy to read and hard to put down. It is a great pity so many children's writers are not so. I think Rowling's (and Tolkien's) advantage (or one chief one I should say) was this: they were chiefly writing the book for themselves.

Movies are never as good as books of course. I've watched the HP and LotR movies. I was extremely charmed with the first HP film and it is what got me to pick up the book (I've now read nearly all of them).

The HP movies are filmed about 1 mile away from where I live - and you can see the lights on some nights so I guess they're working on the fourth. A friend saw the knight bus down a street when they were filimng the last wink.gif

Read the first 10 books of Wheel of Time too - I like them quite a lot but would not compare them with either LotR or HP. One can see from these three series that the writers' "teaching" of not writing long books is not exactly accurate wink.gif

If it's quality then bring on the quantity I say!

Dubhdara.

Sponsored Links:
24th Feb, 2005 - 12:26am / Post ID: #

Potter Harry

The Harry Potter books are simply fascinating. In terms of literature style, they definitely can't be compared to LOTR. As for the movies, theyre NOTHING compared to the books. Though they are directed towards children, I think Harry Potter has something to offer to everyone. Readers just need to have an imagination with the ability to keep up with the adventurous world that Rowling has created. I thoroughly enjoyed the HP books. I can't describe it and that frustrates me. There's something about them.."a retreat from this world" perhaps, is the best phrase I can seem to come up with. It's like a drug..you can't possibly have enough. The feeling of emptiness comes when you turn the last page and reality hits. Though it hurts to admit this, the LOTR didn't have the exact same effect on me. Don't get me wrong, I love LOTR as much as HP but I found at certain parts of LOTR, it was relatively tiring to read. My favourite HP moment is in Order of the Pheonix when Fred and George bade their final adieu to Hogwarts. I laughed and giggled for 5mins straight! Some advice to new readers..DON'T read HP in public!
I honestly dont mean to compare HP and LOTR, but I can't help myself in this case. Has anyone but me noticed slight similarities between HP and LOTR? Just small, really minute similarities for example,(I've read the books awhile now so I hope I'm not mistaken..but I'm relatively sure I'm not) the bartender guy at the Prancing Pony (Butterbur) and the drink in Hogsmade(butterbeer), the descriptions of the Black Riders and the Dementors, Gandalf and Dumbledore, Dobby and Gollum obviously, the Nazgul and maybe the Hippogriff, Mirkwood or Fangorn Forest and the Forbidden forest, they both had 2 oversized spiders as villains,the spiders name in HP (Aragog) and my dearest (Aragorn)..and I remember coming across the word Sirius in LOTR........Or MAYBE its my over-reactive imagination! In any case, that's my take on the magic that is Harry Potter.

24th Feb, 2005 - 11:12am / Post ID: #

Harry Potter UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

To some extent there will always be parallels - I mean the concept of a dark forest is quite old, Tolkien borrowing the name of Mirkwood from Norse mythology's forest of the same name.

There is a "Sirion" (Sindarian word meaning "river") in LOTR but not a sirius as far as I'm aware, though the name is of course a real-world word referring to a star.

Perhaps the greatest "co-incidence" between HP and LOTR is Rowling's use of the old English word "dumbledore"* which was also used by Tolkien in his poem "Errantry" in the "Adventures of Tom Bombadil".

The word itself had three differing meanings: (1) in Devon it meant a humble-bee (whether this references the Lincolnshire "drunkard" or the bumble-bee I do not know but both Rowling and Tolkien use it to mean "bee" I think, or at least some sort of insect on the part of Tolkien; a definitely a bee on Rowling's part as she has said so in interview) (2) a stupid fellow (Somerset) (3) a beetle or cockchafer (the May bug) (in the South of England).

Dubhdara.

Post Date: 13th Jul, 2005 - 3:32pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 3 Potter Harry

Harry Potter Book Accidentally Sold in NY

Mandy Muldoon said she was shopping with her 9-year-old son when she spotted a stack of the much-anticipated books on a shelf and purchased one. Christine Ekblom, a manager at the upstate New York pharmacy, said she believed it was the only copy sold.

"They were pulled off an hour after they were put on the shelves," Ekblom said. "It was a mistake."[..]

Fourteen books were accidentally sold Thursday at a grocery store in Canada, but a judge ordered the customers not to talk about the book, copy it, sell it or even read it before its official release.

Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...tter_early_sale

Post Date: 15th Jul, 2005 - 12:15pm / Post ID: #

Potter Harry

STILL WILD ABOUT HARRY

Muggles. Quidditch. Dementors. It all started with the boy who lived. Who would have guessed that a scrawny 11-year-old sporting a lightning-bolt scar and round glasses held together with a glob of Scotch tape would revolutionize the book industry?
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...48510%2C00.html

Post Date: 17th Jul, 2005 - 7:09pm / Post ID: #

Harry Potter
A Friend

Harry Potter

I really like the Harry Potter books, No they aren't the most wonderful or well written books in the world, as a matter of fact I recently read Phillip Pullmanns Dark materials trilogy and they knocked the spots of them, but I think you just have to take them for what they are which is Childrens books they're just good fun to read! I really hate the fact that some schools ban them because they might be a bad influence, I know so many people old and young who havn't picked up a book in years or only do so if they have to in school and Harry Potter has got them interested in Reading again, how can that be a bad thing? As for the films no they aren't as good as the books but then Film adaptations rarely are!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 19th Jul, 2005 - 6:48pm / Post ID: #

Harry Potter
A Friend

Harry Potter - Page 3

QUOTE (Delerium @ 17-Jul 05, 2:09 PM)
you just have to take them for what they are which is Childrens books

I wouldn't quite agree with that.
I cannot argue that Harry Potter began as a children's book, because at the very beginning that's what it is. There's a young boy who one day finds out he's a great and famous wizard, he engages in a completely new life, meets friends and has adventures - sounds very typical, like a fairy tale. But that's only the first part of the series. We see even in the second one that the world of magic is not as sweet and colorful as we may have thought at first. And when Harry Potter matures, the book matures with him. I wouldn't call the Order of Phoenix a children's book. This is exactly what attracts me to the series - the adventures get more serious, the characters develop; from kids they become teenagers with typical teenagers problems. I think that is the reason why Harry Potter is so popular wink.gif

Post Date: 2nd Aug, 2006 - 1:12pm / Post ID: #

Harry Potter Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 3

AUTHORS TO ROWLING: DON'T KILL HARRY POTTER

Two of America's top authors, John Irving and Stephen King, made a plea to J.K. Rowling on Tuesday not to kill the fictional boy wizard Harry Potter in the final book of the series, but Rowling made no promises.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/08/0...reut/index.html

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (11) »

> TOPIC: Harry Potter

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,